Joined: 04 Jan 2007 Posts: 11487 Location: Wherever the wind blows- North America
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 20:10 Post subject: Fix for RT-N16 wireless drop-outs
OK guys...I've seen many threads down through the months about the RT-N16 units having wifi drop-outs...and I've experienced it as well.
I've stumbled across a fix for it. Recently I had a donation of an RT-N16 unit that had the following symptoms.
1 - wifi dropped out randomly throughout the day
2 - wifi drop outs became more frequent as the weeks went on.
3 - Finally router power and wifi lights would go out after 2 minutes of on-time and the router was no longer functioning.
I pulled the unit apart and found a capacitor 680uF @ 16V electrolytic that had bulged and ruptured. I ordered up some new 680uF @ 16V caps. I replaced it and the unit stays on consistently now.
OK...I decided to replace the same cap on my own RT-N16 unit that had the wifi drop out every once in awhile....when I opened up the unit the capacitor was not a 680uF cap...but a 470uF cap. So I replaced the 470uF with a 680uF....come to my surprise the unit doesn't have wifi drop out any longer.
I suspect that Asus knew about the hardware issue and update the caps to 680uF because the 470uF wasn't removing enough ripple from the input power. The 680uF would "smooth" things out better and that wifi is benefiting from that smooth power.
It was just a fluke that I stumbled on this solution...but I am glad that I did...so I'm passing this on to the rest of you.
picture of the cap to change.
_________________ I do NOT provide personal assistance through chat or phone....so please don't ask.
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:01 Post subject: Tx power level factors in too
I recently experienced WiFi drop-outs, pretty much unusable. One thing I did notice is I had bumped up Tx power and when I put it back to 17mW the problem went away. Guess I'll need the cap mod to reach high power levels.
Fixed. Running for over a week so far. No problems.
Found a local TV repair shop that agreed to sell me a couple 680mF 25V capacitors. Got two for $2 ea. Only needed one, but I haven't soldered in quite a while, so I wanted a spare.
It was very frustrating. Whole thing took almost 2 hours. Most of that time was spent removing the old solder. Had a new solder vacuum, which came in handy, but only really worked on the surface.
After removing the solder from the surface, first with the vacuum thing and then with desoldering braid, the old cap was still being firmly held by solder inside both of the pcb holes. I finally bent the cap back and forth until it broke off the leads. I was then able to melt the solder and pull the the leads out.
One of the holes cleaned out pretty easily. I messed with the second hole for close to an hour. Finally grabbed a sewing needle and needle-nosed pliers, and soldered the needle into the hole. Then applied the iron directly to the needle and ran the needle back and forth to get most of the solder out. It took forever, going from needle to braid, to clean it out.
Finally I was able to pop in the new cap and put it back together. Router powered up and all my settings were still there. Yay! _________________ Netgear R7800
DD-WRT v3.0-r46301 std (04/07/21)