Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH: Flash from Buffalo re-branded DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
patronus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:38    Post subject: Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH: Flash from Buffalo re-branded DD-WRT Reply with quote
Regarding my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router, I recently upgraded from a Buffalo re-branded version of DD-WRT (V24-SP2 build 19484 beta) to a recent community-based version of DD-WRT (V24-SP2 build 21286) found here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/buffalo_wzr-hp-g300nh/

And I am pleased to report that, near as I can tell, not only is my Buffalo router working, but it is working MUCH BETTER (no more dropped wifi connections) than before the upgrade. Yippee!

Now, although everything appears to be working correctly, I am a bit concerned that I may have misinterpreted, and thus didn't correctly follow, the installation instructions found here:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH

My goals in posting here are:
(1) to seek clarification regarding the instructions on the wiki page; and
(2) if indeed I did not correctly follow the instruction, determine what, if any, ill effects I may encounter as a result.

So here's what I did:

At the above mentioned ftp site, I found two bin files, namely "buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin" and "wzr-hp-g300nh-dd-wrt-webupgrade-MULTI.bin". Based on my initial read of the instructions found on the above mentioned wiki page, I was under the impression that, since I already had DD-WRT (albeit a "Buffalo re-branded" version), I should flash the "wzr-hp-g300nh-dd-wrt-webupgrade-MULTI.bin" file. Indeed, that's what I did (flashed the "wzr-hp-g300nh-dd-wrt-webupgrade-MULTI.bin" file). And to reiterate, all seems to be working correctly.

But rereading the wiki, and in particular the sentence stating that the "buffalo to ddwrt webflash file is a full build [and is] for flashing from the original Buffalo firmware to DD-WRT", I'm a bit unsure whether I flashed the correct file.

Again, near as I can tell, everything appears to be working correctly. Nonetheless, I'd like to know:
(1) In flashing the "wzr-hp-g300nh-dd-wrt-webupgrade-MULTI.bin" file, did I flash the correct file?
(2) If I did not flash the correct file, then:
(a) What's the difference between the "buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin" and "wzr-hp-g300nh-dd-wrt-webupgrade-MULTI.bin" files; and
(b) What as-of-yet undiscovered problems may have resulted from flashing the wrong file?

Thanks in advance for any constructive replies!
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be fine, alot of the info in that wiki is out of date, and only footnotes of buffalo dd-wrt builds were added to the wiki when the buffalo dd-wrt builds came out. Most of the initial flashing instructs for that unit came out before there was a buffalo dd-wrt, so they would be in more regards to flashing from the stock 'user friendly' buffalo firmware. Going from a buffalo dd-wrt build using the community file that you did should be fine, i have used it before with no problems.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
patronus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
You should be fine, alot of the info in that wiki is out of date, and only footnotes of buffalo dd-wrt builds were added to the wiki when the buffalo dd-wrt builds came out. Most of the initial flashing instructs for that unit came out before there was a buffalo dd-wrt, so they would be in more regards to flashing from the stock 'user friendly' buffalo firmware. Going from a buffalo dd-wrt build using the community file that you did should be fine, i have used it before with no problems.

Thanks much for the reply! Yep, I initially interpreted the phrase "original Buffalo firmware" to refer only to the "user friendly" Buffalo firmware, and not to the Buffalo re-branded DD-WRT that shipped with my router. So here's hoping that my original interpretation is correct.

So far, I have nothing but good things to say about the BrainSlayer releases of DD-WRT for my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. In fact, I upgraded once again, this time from V24-SP2 build 21676 to V24-SP2 build 22118, and all still seems to be working great.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, i'll try and update the wiki info if i have given time, i started work on it a while back, but as you see in there, lots of infos - so its hard to filter the out of date stuff versus the not out of date stuff and frame it all together where it isn't a jumbled mess. Anyhow, enjoy Smile

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Wireless247
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:14    Post subject: AOSS-Button WZR-HP-G300NH does not work Reply with quote
I upgraded my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH to DD-WRT v24 sp2 24/12/2013 - r23204.

I did enable "Turning off radio" -> SES / AOSS / EZ-SETUP / WPS Button. But the AOSS-Button doesn't work.
Can you help me?
peterfnet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just chiming in to say I successfully updated to v24-sp2 (2014-05-23) - build 24118

Steps I followed
*Hard Reset firmware 14896
*Updated with 24118 and selected reset to defaults

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/05-23-2014-r24118/buffalo_wzr-hp-g300nh/

Not noticed any problems yet. I use it as a wireless access point (no DHCP, no routing, static ip).
peterfnet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whelp, I was wrong. The wifi access point keeps failing on the unit. I can no longer connect to it after use. After reboot, I can connect for a random amount of time before it fails again. However, the web interface still stays alive. Is there a good area to check for logs or enable some verbose logging with regards to this?
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had some weirdness with 24118 on my WZR-600DHP with wifi and OpenVPN. I went back to 23919 and it seems to be more stable.
Linksys WRT1900AC
DD-WRT v3.0 STD
peterfnet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
dpp3530 wrote:
I had some weirdness with 24118 on my WZR-600DHP with wifi and OpenVPN. I went back to 23919 and it seems to be more stable.

Thanks for your reply. I will try this tonight!
dlxmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Avoid 23919, it's garbage. The WiFi stops working after awhile. FWIW, I have 802.11n clients and use WPA2.

I used to have a rock-solid version of DD-WRT on this router, and I'd roll back to it in an instant, if I only I'd take note of the version before "upgrading".
slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
they ever gonna upgrade the buffalo official dd-wrt version for this router?
its like 2 years old lol.
rkaede
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
slybunda wrote:
they ever gonna upgrade the buffalo official dd-wrt version for this router?
its like 2 years old lol.

2 years old but rock solid. Cool
@slybunda are you still using wzrhpg300nh ??
what firmware u running >?

ASUS AC68U merlin fw
Linksys EA6700 - factory firmware - sold
DD-WRT v3.0 --- 27506
r25408
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is highly unlikely they will update the official dd-wrt build for this unit, being that this unit has community dd-wrt build support, not much need for it.

crabnebula
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
dlxmax wrote:
Avoid 23919, it's garbage. The WiFi stops working after awhile. FWIW, I have 802.11n clients and use WPA2.

I used to have a rock-solid version of DD-WRT on this router, and I'd roll back to it in an instant, if I only I'd take note of the version before "upgrading".

21286 has been very stable for me.
slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
using buffalo official dd-wrt firmware on mine v19xx build, which is coming up to being 2 years old now.
would be great if they upgraded it to latest community build. very disappointed they didn't provide the support needed for their products.
I just use the router as a dhcp server and gigabit switch. other than that its too unstable for wifi use. but I use an ubiquity power AP N for wifi which has been rock solid over 2 years now.

will be going to 150meg fiber line at some point so dunno if the wzr-hp-g300nh will be able to handle it on the old firmware its got.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: