Linksys WRT1900AC/Marvell support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 152, 153, 154  Next
mon224
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
XenonKilla wrote:
mon224 wrote:
XenonKilla wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:
i will answer for him. its not a game changer.

side by side comparisation.
original WRT54G.
price level was low for its time.
source available.
the beginning for all opensource firmware projects (openwrt/dd-wrt etc.)
new WRTAC1900
price level the highest ever seen. not affortable by anyone.
source quality does not fit to the current standards compared with other vendors products.

it could be only a game changer if its turning to be a mass product like the WRT54G with the benefit of having opensource firmwares.
but even if belkin provides us the full driver sources and it gets dd-wrt or openwrt support its still too expensive to be relevant to be a all consumer product which the WRT54G was

Shit I dunno, $249 is nothing compared to the amount of money these dumb dumb's spend on crApple iDevices these days Laughing

"crApple" bwahahahahah Laughing daaaammnnn that's a good word to call these. Thank you for sharing that Very Happy

"crApple" even bought the devision of those crappy sounding to much bass horribly banging Beats by DRE, only because of it's design accourding to "the verge". http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/10/5700062/why-is-apple-buying-beats-its-the-brand

Anyway all these "plastic funitures" for that amount of money, in some cases you just made only a few people richer. Really sad Sad

Only thing that makes an iDevice even worth bothering with is the Jailbreak. But as much as crApple releases new firmware updates trying to curb people from Jailbreaking it's pretty much not even worth bothering with. I dunno why they even care, as many ideas as they have stolen from developers who have created awesome Jailbreak tweaks and implemented it into iOS making it look like they did something special, you'd think they'd wanna keep it around so they could pirate more ideas for their shitty stock firmware.

And don't even get me started on that hideous looking iOS 7! People walking around with that crap on their devices looking like a buncha 3rd graders! I swear crApple called in the design team from Fisher Price Rolling Eyes

Whahahahaah, this is such an entertainment in here. Very Happy
The ideas from their team is so saturated that they had to hire a Nokia PureView Engineer so they could say they made an effort with their new crappy camera technology. Taking pictures on an iPhone is like buying fastfood, nothing special, just something that makes the iPhone memory space full with lots of bad quality pictues. (specialy with their crApple iPad cameras).

We shouldn't even start with their poor build quality. A simple drop of that device the screen and other parts gets broken.

Compared to the good old days with Nokia and even their latest models "crApple" can't keep up.

Talking about their designer team. Like I written before they have no new ideas anymoe. Getting their "inspiration" from the Windows Phone Team was an act of despiration.

Here is not so latest model of Nokia Lumia 920 which isn't easy to destroy at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3c8il_Q6SU
Sponsor
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please folks, I & many lurkers didn't subscribe to this thread so we can read posts poking fun at Apple.
The occasional digression is fine but perpetuating it isn't, lets try to get things back OT soon, please.
gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=233604#p233604

gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
i'm just waiting for the wireless driver sources and for a testing device. otherwise i cannot do much

Marvell 88W8864 Linux Driver/Firmware Source

https://github.com/TheDgtl/mrvl_wlan_v7drv

Regards

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
will this be the start of marvell ddwrt support? it was always said support for marvell is a "maybe" in the future(iirc this is full marvell cpu/wifi/switch so its not actually even broadcom yes? need a marvell section now?)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
will this be the start of marvell ddwrt support? it was always said support for marvell is a "maybe" in the future(iirc this is full marvell cpu/wifi/switch so its not actually even broadcom yes? need a marvell section now?)

It is the same old driver we already know about, nothing changed.

If you want to read what openwrt folks had to say about this driver:

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2014-April/024944.html

In latest Linksys GPL release the driver is newer (7.2.5.6) and only included in binary form, also no changelog, this raises questions e.g.:

Why do they suddenly remove the source from their gpl release?

I guess someone uploaded the old driver to github, because you can't download it anymore through regular sources:-)

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
Why do they suddenly remove the source from their gpl release?

Good question Rolling Eyes

BMXdad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:48    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT1900AC Reply with quote
Is that all it will take is a donated unit?

As a group there should be enough interest to get several donations towards a 1900ac. I am more then willing to give to the cause.

I have one and expanding its features should be a fun project.

<Kong> wrote:
theH wrote:
Now, I realise it's probably waaay to early to ask, but just out of curiosity - will anyone be looking at this beauty: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/01/linksys-wrt/ ?

Very expensive. I doubt any user will donate one so we can add support for it. Not sure if BS is in touch with Belkin, but neither Linksys or Belkin ever contacted me. The dd-wrt support for current Linksys units is really bad, not much testing done on these units.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
@BMXdad

Read from pg 7 to pg 11 of this thread...
Some pages are full of very brief posts, so you'll fly through it.
All your answers are within...
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:32    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT1900AC Reply with quote
BMXdad wrote:
Is that all it will take is a donated unit?

As a group there should be enough interest to get several donations towards a 1900ac. I am more then willing to give to the cause.

I have one and expanding its features should be a fun project.

No, I have one, the problem is the drivers.
They are in a state, that makes it difficult to integrate it into any opensource firmware.
Besides that, these drivers are buggy and the latest revision is only available as closed source binary.

As long as there are only binary drivers you cannot recompile the kernel with different options e.g. network schedulers, so extending the original linksys firmware is also limited.

I guess the fact that linksys now offers their own hacked together openwrt release (with binary driver) on gpl download site pretty much says it all.

They don't expect any opensource firmware support for their unit in the near future.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
I guess the fact that linksys now offers their own hacked together openwrt release (with binary driver) on gpl download site pretty much says it all. They don't expect any opensource firmware support for their unit in the near future.

Well, they keep communicating (& occasionally doing) the opposite, it's just that their actions keep saying otherwise.
So there's something happening in the background that they're trying to overcome, God only knows what. Rolling Eyes

N.B.
They've released the latest dvr builds occasionally, but only for short periods, folks have usually been quick enough to make a backup.
Malitiacurt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
jalyst wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
I guess the fact that linksys now offers their own hacked together openwrt release (with binary driver) on gpl download site pretty much says it all. They don't expect any opensource firmware support for their unit in the near future.

Well, they keep communicating (& occasionally doing) the opposite, it's just that their actions keep saying otherwise.
So there's something happening in the background that they're trying to overcome, God only knows what. Rolling Eyes

Marketing is doing one thing while the programmers are doing another.

If I were to guess, management thought it would be a good idea to announce it as open-source compatible at CES without realizing the implications.

However, they probably have a contract with Marvell regarding the wireless drivers like Broadcom does with OEM's where they cannot release the source publicly, only binary blobs.

Belkin management didn't realize this so now they're stuck trying to keep their word but unable to release the full source. Management's only solution is to have their own engineers compile an OpenWRT version while they negotiate with Marvell to allow them to release the source code, or simply hope the general public finds Belkin's own OpenWRT version good enough.

Either way it's a train wreck.
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malitiacurt wrote:
Marketing is doing one thing while the programmers are doing another.

That's what I thought early on, but it's gone way beyond that now...
There's no way that could still be the case, they'd have to be utterly retarded, there must be another explanation.
gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
jalyst wrote:

Yes
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=233604#p233604

gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 20:31    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT1900AC Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
No, I have one,

Good news Smile

<Kong> wrote:
the problem is the drivers.

Ya. bad/old news.

IMO

I'm very optimistic it will get resolved, there's a lot on the line.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 152, 153, 154  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 154
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: