Flashed successfully my WLA2-G54c, but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
O(1)
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 15:58    Post subject: Flashed successfully my WLA2-G54c, but... Reply with quote
Amazingly easy, thanks to the various pages around.
Thank you.

However I wanted to report some non-valid information, from this page http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Web_Interface

Quote:
After installing DD-WRT Firmware you can access the DD-WRT Web-GUI using a web browser pointing to the same IP address as before you installed DD-WRT

This is actually incorrect, as the default IP for the G54c is 192.168.11.100, and after DD-WRT install it was 192.168.1.1 ...

I wanted to fix the page, but unfortunately it seems it is not possible to create accounts anymore.

(for info, installed "dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin")
Sponsor
O(1)
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hu... since I'm here...

Actually the interface works nice etc...

But parameters, (all, including name+password), are saved, only until power is cut. Then it's back to defaults...

So, I tried the 30/30/30, many times, innovating with new ways... tried also the telnet + erase nvram (+ 30" reset)... tried both Micro & Std...

Unfortunately parameters are never saved for good Sad

Now, trying a previous version (also beta...)...
Edit => same problem. Parameters not saved.
robochicken
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
O(1) wrote:
Hu... since I'm here...

Actually the interface works nice etc...

But parameters, (all, including name+password), are saved, only until power is cut. Then it's back to defaults...

So, I tried the 30/30/30, many times, innovating with new ways... tried also the telnet + erase nvram (+ 30" reset)... tried both Micro & Std...

Unfortunately parameters are never saved for good Sad

Now, trying a previous version (also beta...)...
Edit => same problem. Parameters not saved.

Hey, yeah I made the same experience on WLA2. I switched then to openwrt and didn't have this issue, but it wasn't the most stable build (mind you I used 8.x then, current is 12.x). Currently WLA2 is lying half-bricked somewhere, so I can't verify this but perhaps using newer version of ddwrt would have the issue with retaining the config fixed. Hope it helps and keep us informed on which version/build you stabilized.
Rgds,
Bogdan
O(1)
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
After trying a number of dd-wrt versions, old or new, all had the same bug and I ended up switching off the router.

Being myself a C/C++ dev, had also a look at the code, as it seems the bug lies into where the code writes data (typically RAM and not flash) ; or it could be "simply" that after a cold boot, the device does not read the same area and concludes data is corrupted and re-inits. But would be a really hard task to debug the tremendously large code! (not mentioning the difficulty to test it...).

Also, would need the router's technical reference (what address starts Flash, how to write to it etc...). This doesn't seem to be on Buff's everyone's site..

Checked the openwrt site, and cannot find a version that suits the Buffalo WLA2-G54C...

Could you kindly give a hint on this one?

The G54C being pretty low in flash/memory (4M/4M).
Installing an openwrt fw that fixes the router would be great.

Thank you.
O(1)
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:33    Post subject: Final update Reply with quote
Final update as requested.

1. Tried again with another older dd-wrt version
=> same problem

2. Tried with openwrt, following recommendation ("backfire" version")

- http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/brcm47xx/

- chose "openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs.bin" (randomly, since version is short and there is a 54g in the name!)

- use dd-wrt "Upgrade firmware" tool to install openwrt (since tftp was not available anymore seemingly)

And... With openwrt, it works!!

I must say, interface and all are not as pretty as dd-wrt, but when power is out, and back again: it works! everything is up and working!

So happy!

For people having same problem, see
- http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/openwrtdocs/hardware/buffalo/wla2_g54c
- http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin
(interface web is available from http://192.168.1.1)

You have to set an admin password for Wifi to be enabled. Then in settings enable it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: