Repeater bridge cannot ping the internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
alcoed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 14:23    Post subject: Repeater bridge cannot ping the internet Reply with quote
I'm using a Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP (build v24-SP2 13064) as a client bridge, and a WHR-HP-G54 as an access point (build v24-SP2 14896), with DHCP blocked by the client firewall so that separate DHCP servers can function on the same subnet on each side of the bridge. The client bridge functions as the DHCP server for its side of the bridge using DNSMasq. A third gateway router is on the AP router side. This works flawlessly and all traffic is passed properly EXCEPT that neither bridge router can ping the internet, access NTP, or use ipkg for downloading Optware. Computers and other routers on both sides of the bridge CAN be pinged. Here are the client firewall commands;

ebtables -A INPUT --in-interface eth1 --protocol ipv4 --ip-protocol udp --ip-destination-port 67:68 -j DROP
ebtables -A INPUT --in-interface eth1 --protocol ipv4 --ip-protocol udp --ip-source-port 67:68 -j DROP
ebtables -A FORWARD --out-interface eth1 --protocol ipv4 --ip-protocol udp --ip-destination-port 67:68 -j DROP
ebtables -A FORWARD --out-interface eth1 --protocol ipv4 --ip-protocol udp --ip-source-port 67:68 -j DROP

Any ideas on how to fix this? The client is my primary concern.
Sponsor
alcoed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 18:02    Post subject: Re: Repeater bridge cannot ping the internet (solved) Reply with quote
alcoed wrote:
I'm using a Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP (build v24-SP2 13064) as a client bridge, and a WHR-HP-G54 as an access point (build v24-SP2 14896), with DHCP blocked by the client firewall so that separate DHCP servers can function on the same subnet on each side of the bridge. The client bridge functions as the DHCP server for its side of the bridge using DNSMasq. A third gateway router is on the AP router side. This works flawlessly and all traffic is passed properly EXCEPT that neither bridge router can ping the internet, access NTP, or use ipkg for downloading Optware. Computers and other routers on both sides of the bridge CAN be pinged. Here are the client firewall commands;

ebtables -A INPUT --in-interface eth1 --protocol ipv4 --ip-protocol udp --ip-destination-port 67:68 -j DROP
ebtables -A INPUT --in-interface eth1 --protocol ipv4 --ip-protocol udp --ip-source-port 67:68 -j DROP
ebtables -A FORWARD --out-interface eth1 --protocol ipv4 --ip-protocol udp --ip-destination-port 67:68 -j DROP
ebtables -A FORWARD --out-interface eth1 --protocol ipv4 --ip-protocol udp --ip-source-port 67:68 -j DROP

Any ideas on how to fix this? The client is my primary concern.

Found it myself; setting the operating mode (Advanced Routing tab) to GATEWAY instead of ROUTER cures the connectivity issue, and seems to have no negative affects so long as the WAN is left disabled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: