Build for E4200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
DesiJatt_04
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:05    Post subject: Build for E4200 Reply with quote
Hello,

I have the following build:

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/05/13) mega - build 22786

Ive been having issues mainly with wireless speed.

Is there another more stable build I could use.
Sponsor
gohamstergo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump since I couldn't find anything more recent via search.. What is latest stable build, anyone?

Edit: Found this a few pages later in the search: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=248885.

So, what is recommended, Kong's 22200, or BrainSlayer's 21676?
poodles
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
maybe this will help:

http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2013/01/my-cisco-linksys-e4200-dd-wrt-settings-for-max-speed/comment-page-11/#comments
gohamstergo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
The linked ftp site has been down for a while. Got a mirror?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
gohamstergo wrote:

It's working for me. I just clicked on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
gohamstergo wrote:

It's working for me. I just clicked on it.

Very odd, still can't connect here...Can you please upload it somewhere and provide an md5? The mega version, that is. (ftp://ftp.basmaf.com/Fractal_Builds/23040/dd-wrt.v24-23040_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-e4200.bin)
-XPTO-
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been quite happy with BS latest k3.10: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259920&sid=78183aed5eb4d26f5dd0b3db65044c13
rjwesten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having issues with the following too:

ftp://ftp.basmaf.com/Fractal_Builds/23040/dd-wrt.v24-23040_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-e4200.bin

I'm running the old 22208 and want to upgrade to this .. anyone know what's going on?
rjwesten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
<sigh> of course I've figured it out.

Remote ftp. from the hostname.
try this:

ftp://basmaf.com/Fractal_Builds/23040/dd-wrt.v24-23040_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-e4200.bin

That worked. If you get prompted it's a regular anonymous login.
duncanidahoe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 17:05    Post subject: Build 23838 Reply with quote
Build 23838 mega is working great even have open vpn set up and working well. No speed loss. In case anyone is having problems with any of the builds, I have found out that if you are having problems with any of these builds flash the same build two maybe three times and then check it out a lot of the time this solves any problems you may be having.

4 wrt160n v3 w/ BrainSlayer dd-wrt.v24-15778_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin

2 wrt320n w/ BrainSlayer dd-wrt v24-15778 NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin

wndr3300 w/ dd-wrt.v24-14583_NEWD_std-nokaid_nohotspot_nostor.bin

wrt54g v6 w/ Brainslayer 14594 dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

wrt400n w/ 21676 build

Peacock Thread | BrainSlayer Builds | Eko Builds
gohamstergo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 14:58    Post subject: Re: Build 23838 Reply with quote
duncanidahoe wrote:
Build 23838 mega is working great even have open vpn set up and working well. No speed loss. In case anyone is having problems with any of the builds, I have found out that if you are having problems with any of these builds flash the same build two maybe three times and then check it out a lot of the time this solves any problems you may be having.

noted, thanks!

edit: this one? ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/03-29-2014-r23838/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-23838_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e4200.bin
rhfritz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 19:00    Post subject: Post subject: Re: Build 23838 Reply with quote
I have been having continuous problems with e4200 builds 21061 and 23838 specifically with regards to Client Bridge and Repeater Bridge modes. And I think it applies to other builds/modes where I've read in other threads where people are having issues with radio wl1 not connecting.

But before I go into that, I just have to say I'm suspicious when someone says that reflashing an e4200 multiple times with the same fw version somehow yields different results. Perhaps not doing a 30-30-30 after the initial flash might yield different behavior versus clearing NVRAM of "old" settings. But if your e4200 boots with the new fw, the behavior should be deterministic versus random unless you can specify exactly what some repeat flash accomplishes (and for what reason) that some previous flash does not.

Suffice it to say that I now have five e4200 v1's that I've unsuccessfully attempted for months to integrate/replace into a configuration that has been working for years with wrt54g's. I have a main access point connected to my cable modem plus a client bridge and some repeater bridges. So I have a lot of experience properly configuring with these settings. I had attempted to replace the wrt54g's with faster N-capable routers. What I have found is that the 54g's with older fw versions will work with an e4200 main access point, but no more than one e4200 can be a bridge and co-exist with any other routers of any type on the network. So I ended up with 5 e4200's so I could attempt to setup a parallel network to understand what was going on and rule out a defective router.

There are multiple symptoms, but what ultimately happens is that after the second bridge is added, you lose communications with all the routers and end up unplugging them. And when you plug them back in one at a time, you discover that they've all reset back to default settings. After this happened a few times on my main network, resetting even the 54g's, that's when I started down the parallel network approach.

What makes the issue difficult to track down is that when configuring a bridge, the radio channel settings must be the same as the main router. But as soon as you change the Wireless Mode to a Bridge, the wireless channel settings are hidden/taken way. And the only way afterwards to understand what is going on is to be on the Status + Wireless tab on both the main and bridge routers. And what I found is that the wl1 channel settings often don't stick after they're set.

My test case is as follows. I have my main router set with wl0 on Channel 6 and wl1 on Channel 9. When you join a client to your main router, the MAC address of your client will be associated with the interface to which it connected. For example, your iPhone MAC will be shown to be joined to either eth0 or eth1 depending on whatever criteria the iPhone uses to connect. In my case, when connecting an e4200 bridge, you would expect connections from Channel 6 eth0 to eth0 and Channel 9 eth1 to eth1. What I found was that even though the bridge was being set properly, on the main router client table, I'd sometimes see the MAC's for both wl0 and wl1 connected to the same interface eth0 channel 6. Then I'd go look at the
Status + Wireless tab on the bridge to discover that both interfaces were using 6. So I'd go back to the wireless tab, change the Wireless Mode to AP and Save settings so I could see the channel settings again, and see that wl1 was still showing channel 9 while being on 6. So I'd set the settings away from 9 to 1, save the settings. Then I'd set them back to 9 and Save. Then I'd set the mode back to Repeater Bridge and Save, hiding the settings again. Then I'd click Apply. Then on the main router I might but not always see the proper connections on eth0 and eth1. One time eth0 & eth1 came up not as 6 & 9 but as 9 & 6. Regardless, if I rebooted the router, wl1 would invariably move somewhere else, once to not either 6 or 9.

Other symptoms I've seen:
1) When using a laptop to configure a client bridge router, after applying the configuration and rebooting the router, the laptop reported it was being given a conflicting IP Address. This causes the laptop to shut down LAN access. But comparing the laptop's IP and to the main router's client table shows there is no conflict. Can DHCP still be running on the bridge when it shouldn't be?

2) Amazon Prime Streaming sometimes hangs for no apparent reason. I typically use Amazon Prime streaming via my Smart TV through the Client Bridge. When it does hang, even after a fresh reboot, at times I'll see Error Counts in excess of 10,000. But last night I ran a 50ft cable from my TV directly to my main router to rule out wireless issues. I still had to restart the movie several times. Restarting the Bridge and/or Main router doesn't make a difference. But if I use a Home Theater PC to watch youtube also via the Client Bridge, I have no issues. I don't have NetFlix, but Amazon Prime streaming is talked about elsewhere as being somehow different from NetFlix.

http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2013/01/my-cisco-linksys-e4200-dd-wrt-settings-for-max-speed/ prefers version 23040. But I can't locate a source for 23040 to test it. And it's very difficult to establish what changes between these builds because the DDWRT version description documents don't appear to be updated except for vague / unspecified checkmarks for
"compatibility."

So I've posted this message here so perhaps someone who has the source and the ability to debug it might come across this message. I'd be glad to test any release someone might produce. But as I've been trying to move to an identical set of N routers, preferably a dual frequency, I'm shortly going to give up on this set and do something different. If someone has had success with a main + bridges using another brand of router or a different build of DDWRT, I'd welcome the opportunity to have a discussion with them.
gohamstergo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sucks to hear you're having issues. Here's a friendly bump in hopes that someone can help.
SteveJenkins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've updated my E4200 article so that it points to locally hosted (on my server) files for the builds I recommend... which even months after it was released, is still the mega, std, and mini trailed builds for 23040. My gut tells me the next build I'll be able to recommend as stable for the E4200 will be a K3 build, but none seem quite there just yet.

So for now, I'm still running (and recommending) 23040 as the most stable and best performing build for the Linksys E4200 v1.

http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2013/01/my-cisco-linksys-e4200-dd-wrt-settings-for-max-speed/

(link is also always in my sig)

My Max-Speed DD-WRT settings | K2.6 vs K3.x Speeds Head to Head | My Overclocking Settings | My blog: SteveJenkins.com | My Job: CheatCodes.com
duncanidahoe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 23:44    Post subject: E 4200 Problems Reply with quote
Just to respond. I've had a couple of different routers that will correct themselves if they are flashed more than once. I'm not talking about many many times just two maybe three. All this has done was correct certain problems that were occurring after the initial flash to a new build. I've had this problem with the wrt400 too I think(maybe a netgear I'm not sure), but the results speak for themselves. I've had no problems with the router except that with OpenVPN running it needs to reboot occasionally, I just set it to reboot nightly. Other than that it works great on 23838 BS mega build. I'm not sure about bridging this router, I'll try it. The best routers I've found for bridges were the wrt160s, because they were cheap and were pretty easy to bridge with other routers. I have 20+ wireless devices connected to the E4200 all the time and haven't had any problems with it other than having to reboot occasionally(not really a problem at 4am} Sorry you're suspicious, but reflashing this router seems to be a fix if you are having problems with a connection. I actually like this router a lot. Regards to Steve Jenkins I still look at the blog occasionally just to check and see if anything has changed. I've used most of his settings and they seem to be working well.

4 wrt160n v3 w/ BrainSlayer dd-wrt.v24-15778_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin

2 wrt320n w/ BrainSlayer dd-wrt v24-15778 NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin

wndr3300 w/ dd-wrt.v24-14583_NEWD_std-nokaid_nohotspot_nostor.bin

wrt54g v6 w/ Brainslayer 14594 dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

wrt400n w/ 21676 build

Peacock Thread | BrainSlayer Builds | Eko Builds
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: