TP-Link Archer C7 (ac1750)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 144, 145, 146  Next
rexxv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:34    Post subject: 1043 v2 Reply with quote
Any idea when a beta will be ready for testing ?
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
farrukh wrote:
Well I've given up on Archer C7. Sold it and bought WDR4900 (v1.3eu) instead. More powerful PowerPC processor and double 16mb flash makes it an ideal Openwrt router. The DDWRT is extremely buggy on it (yes tried every possible build without any luck). To be very specific: The mobile broadband, WiFi and web interface are full of issues and not to mention the reset button doesn't work on ddwrt so 30/30/30 reset was not possible.

The openwrt however is rock solid with nearly double openssl performance as compared to ac7 and 24MB/sec write speed on samba on a WD USB 2.0 HDD is quite remarkable and not to mention the 5GHZ radio is well supported by ath9k driver unlike unsupported in AC7 by ath10k.

Well didn't intend to hijack this thread. I hope that the ddwrt developers release an AC7 build soon

for those who are anticipating it.

im looking at a atheros based 3x3(for BOTH bands) n final router to finally replace this wndr3700 (current draft ac is mostly broadcom, i dont want them, & the units are all pricy), been looking at that unit(if i can even find one), good ram decent flash space good(?) 800mhz cpu, does client mode + vap work? does the qos offer kbps control or only priority? also does it have the iphone tethering option for wan connection type?

[X86-64] Haswell i3-4150 ------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41517 std
[QUALCOMM] R7800 -----------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r40270M kongat
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41580 std
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41580 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------> DD-WRT v3.0-r40634 std

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

If you use DSLReports please enable hi-res bufferbloat.

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway..
farrukh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
farrukh wrote:
Well I've given up on Archer C7. Sold it and bought WDR4900 (v1.3eu) instead. More powerful PowerPC processor and double 16mb flash makes it an ideal Openwrt router. The DDWRT is extremely buggy on it (yes tried every possible build without any luck). To be very specific: The mobile broadband, WiFi and web interface are full of issues and not to mention the reset button doesn't work on ddwrt so 30/30/30 reset was not possible.

The openwrt however is rock solid with nearly double openssl performance as compared to ac7 and 24MB/sec write speed on samba on a WD USB 2.0 HDD is quite remarkable and not to mention the 5GHZ radio is well supported by ath9k driver unlike unsupported in AC7 by ath10k.

Well didn't intend to hijack this thread. I hope that the ddwrt developers release an AC7 build soon

for those who are anticipating it.

im looking at a atheros based 3x3(for BOTH bands) n final router to finally replace this wndr3700 (current draft ac is mostly broadcom, i dont want them, & the units are all pricy), been looking at that unit(if i can even find one), good ram decent flash space good(?) 800mhz cpu, does client mode + vap work? does the qos offer kbps control or only priority? also does it have the iphone tethering option for wan connection type?

QOS Kbps - Yes (haven't tried it yet)
Iphone tethering = Yes
Client + vap = Should be no problem using this VLAN method: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=874974#874974 since no dd-wrt router does it out of the box.

Some additional impressions for you:

The latest dd-wrt build is almost flawless on it. Perhaps this time I used mtd -r erase nvram command instead of reset button which seems to not function as a reset button on this particular hardware (1.3) with dd-wrt.

Due to more room on flash, dd-wrt comes loaded with few extra features such as transmission, minidlna, adblocker and few others.

The most interesting thing for me was NTFS performance. its nearly as fast as EXT3 (24MB/s and 19MB/s respectively) on the latest build.

The only issue now is mobile broadband WAN as raised in this thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=258515
ckdalsdk12
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 15:24    Post subject: Archer C7 V2 is launched Reply with quote
Hi.
Please excuse my poor English.

A few days ago, Archer C7 V2 is launched in Korea.
Maybe it will launch in other countries soon.

V2's chipset is changed.

AR8327N-BL1A / QCA9558-AT4A SoC 720MHz / QCA9880-BR4A
Winbond W9751G6KB-25 * 2 (64MB DDR2 * 2)
Winbond W25Q128FVSG (16MB Flash)

Could you please support Archer V2?

Image is here.

http://blog.naver.com/ckdalsdk12/40208033303

Please click image to view larger size.

BBCode is not work for me.
So I left url.
And those are not my picture.
So I can't give any other informations. I'm sorry.

Last edited by ckdalsdk12 on Fri May 23, 2014 16:21; edited 1 time in total
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
since ath10k doesnt support the v1 ac wifi chip there will be no support in 5ghz on the ddwrt side. but u could change the ac wifi card, since its mpcie.

the v2 has a newer ac chip which is supported by ath10, so dd-wrt support is possible. but since the hw changed we need a v2 for the port.

i hope BS will release build for the v1 with plain ath10 even if the ac wont work. i would not care much on the chip and flip the card. so you shouldnt, too.

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just hope BS will release a build for this router too. I'm just looking for the VPN support and other options that are inclusive of dd-wrt. I can do without 5ghz/ac support for now. I just don't want to have to buy a new dd-wrt compatible router at this level.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
since ath10k doesnt support the v1 ac wifi chip there will be no support in 5ghz on the ddwrt side. but u could change the ac wifi card, since its mpcie.

the v2 has a newer ac chip which is supported by ath10, so dd-wrt support is possible. but since the hw changed we need a v2 for the port.

i hope BS will release build for the v1 with plain ath10 even if the ac wont work. i would not care much on the chip and flip the card. so you shouldnt, too.

will that ever change for the v1? why cant ath10k support it? if no then does it only take certain ac cards or would *any* mpcie ac card work with it?

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
Sash wrote:

will that ever change for the v1? why cant ath10k support it? if no then does it only take certain ac cards or would *any* mpcie ac card work with it?

It must of course be an mPCIe card supported by the wifi driver included in the firmware build, ie an Atheros wifi driver.
Atheros first ac-chip, used in the v1, was their idea of the ac-standard in the same was as their first n-chip was their idea of the n-standard.
They were wrong both times..

I assume that a v1 can easily be converted to a v2 by using the same mPCIe card in the v1 as is being used in the v2 but I don't think it is worth doing it.
The bean-counters at TP-Link did fu.k up the whole construction of a speedy cpu ac-router by shaving off a few cents on the cost of the flash chip.
8MB flash is a joke on this kind of a router.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
Sash wrote:

It must of course be an mPCIe card supported by the wifi driver included in the firmware build, ie an Atheros wifi driver.
Atheros first ac-chip, used in the v1, was their idea of the ac-standard in the same was as their first n-chip was their idea of the n-standard.
They were wrong both times..

I assume that a v1 can easily be converted to a v2 by using the same mPCIe card in the v1 as is being used in the v2 but I don't think it is worth doing it.
The bean-counters at TP-Link did fu.k up the whole construction of a speedy cpu ac-router by shaving off a few cents on the cost of the flash chip.
8MB flash is a joke on this kind of a router.

im just going to wait till atheros ac support matures then. there was archer v1's going very cheap near me a while back guess thats why, i held back on it cause 1, lack of current ddwrt support now this, then 2. the 8mb flash, ill wait on ac till theres atheros units with 32mb+ flash, 16mb min..

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

BrainSlayer wrote:

definesinsanity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
will that ever change for the v1? why cant ath10k support it?

Its more a question of will/willnot than can/cannot.

The simple answer is that it *can*, but *will not* be supported.

ath10k is written and supported predominantly by QUALCOMM/ATHEROS. The manufacturer of the actual chip. While outsiders are free to contribute to it, it is an enormous undertaking to reverse engineer the hardware and generate a working driver for it.

They (qualcomm) are the ones who know what goes on inside the actual chip, and how to program it.

Now what happened, from what I understand/remember, is that the v1 chips had certain defects in them, so they were very quickly superseded by the v2 chips. So if you really look around, there really aren't that many of the v1's actually in the wild.

So qualcomm is left there with two options; they can pile a whole bunch of resources into supporting a discontinued/defective chip, which costs a lot of money and has limited returns, or they can drop it like a hot potato.

Yep, they dropped it like a hot potato.
definesinsanity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is an informational post that involves the state of open source support for Archer C7 v1 and v2 hardware.

OpenWRT currently has support for the Archer C7 v1 in trunk, and snapshot builds of it are being produced. It is fully functional, *except* for the well known limitation on the secondary wifi chip that is responsible for 5 GHz and ac.

Yesterday, I wrote a patch that adds support for the Archer C7 v2. I was actually expecting to receive a unit yesterday, but newegg sent me a v1 despite the product page clearly stating v2. I'm currently dealing with them on an RMA and they will be sending me a v2.

The good news is, that despite lacking the unit, someone from the openwrt forums was impatient enough to test my build out, despite the big bold warning I affixed that said it would burn down his house. It works.

FULLY.

Including the 5 GHz QCA9880 rev 2 chip on ath10k.

I'm sure that it won't be a huge undertaking for dd-wrt to incorporate changes equivalent to what I made for openwrt;
http://patchwork.openwrt.org/patch/5071/

Test build;
https://github.com/lbdroid/openwrt-binaries

Note; the test build does NOT have luci installed, so if you want to configure it via web interface, you'll have to install that yourself.

Note2; the Archer C7 v2 image **WILL NOT WORK* on a v1. Frankly, whatever firmware you have on it shouldn't even let it install. The flash memory on the v2 is 16 MB (vs only 8 on the v1), and the board id is very different.
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
definesinsanity wrote:

Yesterday, I wrote a patch that adds support for the Archer C7 v2

read your post Quallcomm qca9558/TP-Link support
congrats
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
definesinsanity wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
will that ever change for the v1? why cant ath10k support it?

Its more a question of will/willnot than can/cannot.

The simple answer is that it *can*, but *will not* be supported.

ath10k is written and supported predominantly by QUALCOMM/ATHEROS. The manufacturer of the actual chip. While outsiders are free to contribute to it, it is an enormous undertaking to reverse engineer the hardware and generate a working driver for it.

They (qualcomm) are the ones who know what goes on inside the actual chip, and how to program it.

Now what happened, from what I understand/remember, is that the v1 chips had certain defects in them, so they were very quickly superseded by the v2 chips. So if you really look around, there really aren't that many of the v1's actually in the wild.

So qualcomm is left there with two options; they can pile a whole bunch of resources into supporting a discontinued/defective chip, which costs a lot of money and has limited returns, or they can drop it like a hot potato.

Yep, they dropped it like a hot potato.

so they derped..you should submit your patch to trac timeline, i think the v2 is still on hold cause they want a donated unit

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

BrainSlayer wrote:

oldtechgeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
definesinsanity wrote:

Yesterday, I wrote a patch that adds support for the Archer C7 v2. I was actually expecting to receive a unit yesterday, but newegg sent me a v1 despite the product page clearly stating v2. I'm currently dealing with them on an RMA and they will be sending me a v2.

kudos on that, just got a v2 from newegg as well. Get yours yet? I'm curious how you rate performance vs stock firmware. I'm not that disappointed with the stock firmware except it lacks a lot of information that would be good to know. With that said, as a wireless client bridge it's doing a decent job ootb.
NeoMatrixJR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 22:25    Post subject: progress? Reply with quote
Any progress on this? I just picked a v2 up from newegg on sale for ~$80. Hoping to DD-WRT this thing soon. I picked it up since someone posted that it was DD-WRT compatible. Didn't read into that enough. They said it should be hardware compatible, not that there was a working version yet.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 144, 145, 146  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 146
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: