ASUS RT-AC68U install

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
elfuego123 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I must say thanks a lot for the hard work and support! Kong really did a great job, my RT-AC68U works great.

But I have to ask about the USB 3.0 performance. Using either Samba or FTP I get only about 14 MB/s. With stock Asus FW I was getting about 30 MB/s, but according to some review sites I should be getting well over 60MB. Am I doing something wrong here? I am using the 23550 build, wired connection.

Thanks!

Forget those benchmarks. Asus Netgear ... now ship with a closed source ntfs driver that is optimized for performance, but corrupts files and filesystem if you access(read/write) with multiple client at the same time. It is great for synth. benchmarks but not for real world usage.

With the fastest linux filesystem you can get up to 40MB/s with samba on the R7000(AC68U is a bit slower), but only if wired. Wireless is not as fast as it causes extra load on the cpu.

elfuego123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for the fast replies! Shocked I tried now the newest build and I get 17-18 MB/s for a few seconds only. Then the file copy (samba) or download (ftp) hangs. Rolling Eyes

Edit: After playing around a bit more, I have hit a few more glitches even with the stock FW (connection drops, random hangs...). I figured that the unit may be just faulty. I will return it and get a new one Rolling Eyes
CRPL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I expected, my speed dropped to aprox. 50% after ddwrt update:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3343762389.png

Now I'm reverting to stock firmware and retry the speedtest.

[later edit]

After flashing original firmware :

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3343776056.png

DD-WRT : 273 mbps
Original : 497 mbps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
CRPL wrote:
As I expected, my speed dropped to aprox. 50% after ddwrt update:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3343762389.png

Now I'm reverting to stock firmware and retry the speedtest.

[later edit]

After flashing original firmware :

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3343776056.png

DD-WRT : 273 mbps
Original : 497 mbps

I suppose thats because DDWRT has no NAT HW acceleration as it does with the asus original firmware, which it most be using in order to give ~1gbps NAT performance
Jabroni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone tested the latest build with VLAN + VAP?? For some reason I cant setup WPA2 Personal w/ AES encryption on the VAP interfaces on both 2.4/5 radios. They work on the main interface of each fine (wl0 and wl1) but wont work on wl0.1, wl1.1.

For these interfaces I created extra bridges, and added a vlan tagged + wl0.1/wl1.1

AP Isolation Enabled (Tried with disabled too)
Network Configuration Unbridged
Masquerade / NAT Disable
Net Isolation Enabled (Tried with disabled too)

Clients arent able to connect, on my mac I get a Connection timeout after putting the password. Using Wepkey works, and so using no encryption.

On the syslog when I try to auth to the AP I get
Code:

03-02-2014   22:20:16   Kernel.Warning   192.168.5.4   Mar  2 22:20:16 kernel: br3: received packet on wl0.2 with own address as source address

Any suggestions of what setting I could be missing? Or how to debug what is happening

My HW is an Asus RT-AC68U running K3-AC-Arm r23655
KGB7
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Currently running latest build r23655.

At this time, im not loosing connection to the router using Intel Centrino 2230N WiFi card. I'm guessing this issue has been fixed, i will continue to monitor over the next few days and report back.

However, i get slower performance on 2.4Ghz band with latest Build. Plus the WiFi signal is a tad bit weaker as well.

Examples;

R23350 - 8MB/s
R23655 - 6.5MB/s

One last thing, there are far less TX errors on 5Ghz band with latest Build R23655.

iLLNESS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
KGB7 wrote:

At this time, im not loosing connection to the router using Intel Centrino 2230N WiFi card. I'm guessing this issue has been fixed, i will continue to monitor over the next few days and report back.

However, i get slower performance on 2.4Ghz band with latest Build. Plus the WiFi signal is a tad bit weaker as well.

Examples;

R23350 - 8MB/s
R23655 - 6.5MB/s

One last thing, there are far less TX errors on 5Ghz band with latest Build R23655.

did you confirm its firmware by flashing back to 23350?
iLLNESS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got an AC68U today and so far i'm impressed Smile

However, after initial tests with DDWRT (i think it was a BS build) I was having issues using it as a wireless client (it would connect to AP but only give 1/1 RX/TX and would not get an ip). Stock Asus and Merlin firmwares connect to the AP fine albeit in bridge mode.

If there an issue with the wireless on DD currently for this router? Signals appear similar but connection rates are quite different.

Is dw-wrt the only option to have this router as a wireless client if I want to have a different subnet?
KGB7
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
iLLNESS wrote:
KGB7 wrote:

Examples;

R23350 - 8MB/s
R23655 - 6.5MB/s

did you confirm its firmware by flashing back to 23350?

Yes i did confirmed it, i also tested with firmware R23550-R01.
nakedeye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am looking to go back to stock FW. I even flashed the router in recovery mode but it still won't take. Any ideas?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
iLLNESS wrote:

However, after initial tests with DDWRT (i think it was a BS build) I was having issues using it as a wireless client (it would connect to AP but only give 1/1 RX/TX and would not get an ip). Stock Asus and Merlin firmwares connect to the AP fine albeit in bridge mode.

If there an issue with the wireless on DD currently for this router? Signals appear similar but connection rates are quite different.

Did you raise tx power?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jabroni wrote:
Has anyone tested the latest build with VLAN + VAP?? For some reason I cant setup WPA2 Personal w/ AES encryption on the VAP interfaces on both 2.4/5 radios. They work on the main interface of each fine (wl0 and wl1) but wont work on wl0.1, wl1.1.

Just found the issue.. if the VAP interface is unbridged, WPA2 wont work. I just bridged it again (on the wireless config page) and it works Smile (Found a post comenting those issues with some other atheros/broadcom drivers). Just wanted to comment just in case someone has a similar issue again Cool
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jabroni wrote:
Jabroni wrote:

Just found the issue.. if the VAP interface is unbridged, WPA2 wont work. I just bridged it again (on the wireless config page) and it works Smile (Found a post comenting those issues with some other atheros/broadcom drivers). Just wanted to comment just in case someone has a similar issue again Cool

Not sure what you have done, but WPA2 works just fine in unbridged mode. This was a bug a while ago and thus you may have seen comments saying it is neccessary to bridge, but it is not as this issue is fixed.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
iLLNESS wrote:

Did you raise tx power?

i did just now and it seemed to have improved the signal slightly. i was always under the assumption the TX power increasing would just cause noise and seeing as though my RX rates have always been the lower value i assumed any extra noise would make it worse.

seems to be better now though. stock 71mW on 23655M was good enough to talk to the AP. not sure why BS build would not properly connect though.
mswlogo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:48    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT-AC68U install Reply with quote
Isn't the AC68U an Arm based processor?

Why is this under Broadcom.

Sorry if this is stupid question but I'm worried I'm gonna brick my AC68u's by flashing it with the wrong flavor build.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 68, 69, 70  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 24 of 70
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: