RT-AC68U vs R7000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
kwatch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blazian wrote:
Thank you to everyone who gave their opinions on this matter I really appreciate it. It was a great deal that I couldn't pass up for either router honestly for new units. I did get the R7000, and it was only $169 so I'm very satisfied with it. Again, thanks everyone!

Where did you buy it from?
Sponsor
Phonism
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blazian wrote:
Thank you to everyone who gave their opinions on this matter I really appreciate it. It was a great deal that I couldn't pass up for either router honestly for new units. I did get the R7000, and it was only $169 so I'm very satisfied with it. Again, thanks everyone!
Good to see you back in here, Blazian Smile

Asus RT-AC66U DD-WRT v24-sp2 giga - build 25015 [Main]
Linksys E3000 DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega - build 15962 [Backup]
Linksys WRT600N v1.1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929 [Retired]
Linksys WRT54GS v4 DD-WRT v24-sp2 mini - build 15747 [Retired]
E3000 Info | WRT600N Info | Know-it-all thread
Blazian
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
kwatch wrote:
Blazian wrote:

Where did you buy it from?

I got it from Newegg.com. They were selling it for $199.99 and I got a special email with a 24hr 15% discount coupon code for either router.

And thanks Phonism, long time no see.

WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
donmontalvo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
NoobWRT wrote:
DD-WRT on the RT-AC68U is ehh..
Kong DD-WRT on the RT-AC68U is fine though.

I just bought an Asus RT-AC68U and it's running fine with 23940...but I'd like to know more about Kong's version. Is it a MEGA version? Me. Want. Smile

AlterSwede
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
CPU at 75.8 °C? Rolling Eyes

Screenshot Status.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.04 KB
 Viewed:  20175 Time(s)

Screenshot Status.jpg

ranko
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
temp Embarassed

ac68u.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.9 KB
 Viewed:  20141 Time(s)

ac68u.jpg

<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
donmontalvo wrote:
NoobWRT wrote:

I just bought an Asus RT-AC68U and it's running fine with 23940...but I'd like to know more about Kong's version. Is it a MEGA version? Me. Want. Smile

There is no mega/big etc. on ARM units, since they have enough flash to hold all features. Thus usually a build for arm includes all features unless there is a special reason not to include all fesatures.

So ARM builds inlude more features then mega.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
donmontalvo wrote:
NoobWRT wrote:

There is no mega/big etc. on ARM units, since they have enough flash to hold all features. Thus usually a build for arm includes all features unless there is a special reason not to include all fesatures.

So ARM builds inlude more features then mega.

Awesome, I bought this unit because I wanted it all, even if I don't need it all! Bwahahahaha... Very Happy

BTW, the unit is very cool to the touch. Could there be an issue with the temperature disply? My unit shows 78.5 Celsius (173.3 Fahrenheit) but the room temp is roughly 20 Celsius (68 Fahrenheit).

slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have the Asus but do have the Netgear.
I have read several reviews that indicate the r7000 has better cooling out of the box.
I can tell you my r7000 ran fine OC'd 1200Mhz with barely a rise in cpu temp. I just bumpbed the OC up to 1400Mhz & for the sake of peace of mind put a small fan on the shelf blowing slowly across the r7000 on low to add active cooling. The fan brought the temp down about 10 degrees.
I have been running this configuration just over 22hrs.
Passive cooling at 1400Mhz is fine but I just feel more comfortable adding active cooling with a 40% OC going on.
I will probably take it back to OC 1200Mhz until the time I feel the need for speed.
Smile

r7000_oc.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.86 KB
 Viewed:  19992 Time(s)

r7000_oc.jpg

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
donmontalvo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice, the thing is the unit doesn't feel warm at all. It's quite cool. I wonder if it's displaying the F temp as C? Smile
Taboganist007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh man, I just got an Amazon gift voucher for 200 pounds sterling for my birthday and both the Netgear R7000 and the Asus AC68U are priced at £169.99.

I'm so torn right now! I'm currently running dd-wrt on a Netgear WNDR3800 and it's going OK but I really want something with greatly improved range so I can stream anything from my 4TB HDD to any room upstairs without lag. I've been doing a lot of research this afternoon and it seems both would offer me a significant upgrade in this regard. So I don't know what to do, so if anyone wants to throw in their two cents and express why one would be better than the other I would very much like to hear your thoughts! I need feedback to sway me one way or the other.

I'm was also looking at the new Linksys beast of a router that is Linksys WRT1900AC. Apparently it's an absolute monster of a router but as far as I can tell it's not working with dd-wrt yet so I decided to rule it out, for now.

So what say you guys? The Netgear R7000 or The Asus AC68U? Help!
Malitiacurt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I'll preface this by saying I like Asus alot. I own multiple Asus routers including the RT-N10P, RT-N12D1, N66U, and AC66U, due to performing better and having better 3rd party firmware support compared to Linksys, Netgear and Dlink.

However I chose the R7000 for my first ARM AC router. Both were similarly priced, but R7000 has faster default CPU clockspeed, superior passive cooling, and better shielding hence none of the USB 3.0 interference issues that AC68U did when it first came out (Dont know if current revision still does).

I actually held out hoping AC68U would be better but after reading multiple reviews, and user experiences on forums at ddwrt, smallnetbuilder asus wireless, and myopenrouter, I couldn't justify going with Asus this time. I bit the bullet and bought my first Netgear. I'm very pleased with the results.
Graygeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:24    Post subject: Netgear R7000 question Reply with quote
Does the R7000 standard Netgear firmware still require you to open up full access to your physical (private) LAN when you configure a Guest network?

Used to be that you'd have to choose in Guest net screen to either isolate guests from each other (internet only), or let them see each other ... AND the rest of your LAN!

I'm looking for ability to have multiple guests for a gaming party. i.e. I want it so Guests can see each other, but my private LAN is still protected. Incredibly, the $200 R7000 didn't permit this. Has that been fixed yet on your new R7000?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:55    Post subject: Re: Netgear R7000 question Reply with quote
Graygeek wrote:
Does the R7000 standard Netgear firmware still require you to open up full access to your physical (private) LAN when you configure a Guest network?

Used to be that you'd have to choose in Guest net screen to either isolate guests from each other (internet only), or let them see each other ... AND the rest of your LAN!

I'm looking for ability to have multiple guests for a gaming party. i.e. I want it so Guests can see each other, but my private LAN is still protected. Incredibly, the $200 R7000 didn't permit this. Has that been fixed yet on your new R7000?

As far as I know right now, no oem fw (not just netgear) currently isolates the guest wlan like on dd-wrt. It requires a lot of rules in the correct order to achieve this.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 14:32    Post subject: Guest Network on R7000 Reply with quote
I had a D-Link DIR-624, now have a DIR-655, and DIR-825 all which have proper Guest Network security with OEM firmware. Guests can interact with each other, but I can keep Guests off of my private LAN.

I've downloaded ASUS RTAC68U user guide, and it too shows that a user can break the bridge between Guest and Physical Network. (but have not ever tried this router - very expensive).

I guess I never appreciated the capability of my reliable D-Link routers. To me, it is normal behavior.

What is the point of having a Guest LAN if all guests can access the physical LAN? (Obviously you agree, which is why DD-WRT implements it)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: