Automatic QoS Bandwith for WBMR-HP-G300H

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Chrischi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:54    Post subject: Automatic QoS Bandwith for WBMR-HP-G300H Reply with quote
Hi,

because the WBMR-HP-G300H has a Broadband Modem inside and DD-WRT knows the commited
Line-Rate/Line-Speed, is there a way to let DD-WRT fill the QoS Bandwith settings automatically?

On some lines the synchronized values are not every time the same. Also on some bad lines...

Would be cool to have this feature or point me to the right direction where i can set it up.

Very Happy
Sponsor
Markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
because the WBMR-HP-G300H has a Broadband Modem inside and DD-WRT knows the commited
Line-Rate/Line-Speed, is there a way to let DD-WRT fill the QoS Bandwith settings automatically?

Even with the knowledge of the rate/speed this is not as easy as it sounds. Furthermore is there only the wmbr. I don't wanna do this work just for one device.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was thinking about this problem since I ran ddwrt for the first time (3 years ago).
For 99% of users (wich are network&linux beginners like me) DDWRT is very complicated. I was
reading the forum for 1 year before I joined and start posting and asking questions.
Now I see that many people have trouble with one of the best DDWRT features QoS.
IMO you dont realize how many people uses ddwrt. I was even thinking to ask Sebastian to start
online school (paid ofcourse) similar to Mikrotik and Cisco school for network admins...
So, Markus. Could you make DDWRT QoS more simplier? I have some suggestions:
1) There should be two tabs for QoS. Basic QoS and Advanced QoS. Basic tab would be very simple
and everythin would be automatized and the Advanced QoS tab would have all good features it has right now.
In Basic QoS tab you should put Uplink and Downlink as you pay at your ISP. Ie 512/4096 and
DDWRT will calculate 80% (409/3276). If someone asks "why I dont get full speed at speedtest.net?"
answer will be because you use QoS and you must sucrefise something to get it working.
Basic QoS wouldnt have such as choosing between HTB or HFSC etc.
Settings would be preconfigured to share bandwidth by services between:
a)www mail
b)www, mail, VOIP L7
c)www, mail, P2P, VOIP L7
and thats it fof Basic QoS. For common user it is more than enough...
Exuse me if this is off topic
Markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
1) There should be two tabs for QoS. Basic QoS and Advanced QoS. Basic tab would be very simple

I agree but ...

The whole QOS topic is a very complex matter, especially if you only have a basic understanding of networking in general.

In fact the QOS-GUI presented by DD-WRT in its current state already IS the "simple" setup. There are many things which just can't be done using the GUI right now. But even now the options are way over the head of most regular user. Somewhen in the future we might have an advanced mode too, but therefore we have a lot of other work to do. So this is nothing you can expect in near future. But as far as we got to this point, i'll think through the whole qos-feature again. With the "advanced mode" present, it should be possible to simplify the current interface even more.

There are much smarter people then me out there which already trie to find a way to a "simply enable it" QOS without much success.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your answer Markus!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: