Is the radio channel/freq significant for Repeater Bridges?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rhfritz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 15:16    Post subject: Is the radio channel/freq significant for Repeater Bridges? Reply with quote
Is radio channel significant for Repeater Bridges?

I ask this question because the wiki says to make the RB radio settings the same as the main router. Yet when the setting is applied to make it a RB, these settings are hidden.

To allow roaming, I set the SSID's to be the same. But with the E4200 in particular, the guidance is not to use Auto channel select with the 5ghz antenna. That would imply I'd need to set it before setting RB mode.

But theoretically speaking, what is the impact on the Client if the main router and the RB's are all set to Auto on both wl0 and wl1? Do the RB's somehow channel & frequency-scan and "locate" the main router?
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
The channel is dictated by the primary router and cannot be set in the secondary routers. Ssids should NOT be the same with repeaters/repeater bridges. Use WDS or set them to different ssids.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
rhfritz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 0:06    Post subject: repeater bridges Reply with quote
With regard to SSIDs, I was following these instructions:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

This discussion says Repeaters have issues with matching SSIDs:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeating_Mode_Comparisons

Thanks!
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Ssids should NOT be the same with repeaters/repeater bridges. Use WDS or set them to different ssids.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: