IP Conflict at Repeater/Bridge causes RB's to factory reset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rhfritz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 14:59    Post subject: IP Conflict at Repeater/Bridge causes RB's to factory reset Reply with quote
I have a network with a main router and 3 repeater-bridges. Over the last week I've been upgrading from WRT54G's to E4200's (All v24; megabuild). I ran into a peculiar situation this weekend that I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered.

In short, the plan was to take down each 54G RB and configure each replacement 4200 RB with the same settings per the wiki. A minor detail (I think) being that I use 192.168.0.X versus the default of 192.168.1.X. So I hard-wire a laptop (wireless disabled) to the E4200 and via DHCP change the default Basic Setup settings, Apply, and then reconnect (ipconfig release/renew) to complete the RB setup. At the end after the final router reboot, I verify the laptop can bring up a web page and move to the next one.

This worked flawlessly for RB's 1 & 2. While monitoring the status page of the main Router, RB1, and RB2 on a desktop PC, I repeated the process for RB3. After the reboot, I get a popup message on the laptop that I have an IP Conflict. I check the IP on the laptop against the Client table on the main router and can't find it. I pull the plug on RB3 and reboot it and the laptop and not only find that RB3 appears to have done a hard reset (all settings lost just like 30-30-30), but RB1 & RB2 have both done the same thing as well. And puzzled I'd begin again.

It took me until the 3rd iteration, perhaps one time with the IP Conflict happening on RB2 versus RB3 before I understood the cause/effect. So I think the solution is to configure each by itself and then leave it unplugged. And when all three are done, plug them in one at a time.

Does this issue resonate with anyone?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: