Mac Filter not working for 70+ devices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Jprophet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 21:43    Post subject: Mac Filter not working for 70+ devices? Reply with quote
Has anyone had success using the MAC Filter function for more than 50 devices?

I'm trying to lock down the devices allowed on our router (using the MAC Filter UI) but have noticed that it gets REALLY inconsistent once I add in all the device MAC addresses.

Here are the particulars:

1) Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/03/14) kongac (23270M - HI MEM)

2) This happened on earlier dd-wrt builds as well. I've completely re-flashed the router and re-entered the MAC addresses by hand, so I don't think it's a case of entering in a malformed address and corrupting the list (the DD-WRT UI is pretty strict about letting you enter in invalid addresses anyway).

3) Asus RT-AC66U router

3) Seems to work fine when there are about 40-some devices. When I get to all 70+ devices, random devices get their connections rejected by the router.

4) When I remove enough items from the list, the devices that were getting rejected start working again.

5) Some screenshots

Thanks for anyone who can help me out here with any info (even if it's just "yeah, works for me") - I've been fighting this for a month now and can't find anyone having the same problem.
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 23:55    Post subject: Re: Mac Filter not working for 70+ devices? Reply with quote
Jprophet wrote:
Has anyone had success using the MAC Filter function for more than 50 devices?

I'm trying to lock down the devices allowed on our router (using the MAC Filter UI) but have noticed that it gets REALLY inconsistent once I add in all the device MAC addresses.

Here are the particulars:

1) Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/03/14) kongac (23270M - HI MEM)

2) This happened on earlier dd-wrt builds as well. I've completely re-flashed the router and re-entered the MAC addresses by hand, so I don't think it's a case of entering in a malformed address and corrupting the list (the DD-WRT UI is pretty strict about letting you enter in invalid addresses anyway).

3) Asus RT-AC66U router

3) Seems to work fine when there are about 40-some devices. When I get to all 70+ devices, random devices get their connections rejected by the router.

4) When I remove enough items from the list, the devices that were getting rejected start working again.

5) Some screenshots

Thanks for anyone who can help me out here with any info (even if it's just "yeah, works for me") - I've been fighting this for a month now and can't find anyone having the same problem.

I had a quick look, this is definitely a bug either in wlconf util or the wireless driver.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are the wlconf util & wireless driver common across all builds of dd-wrt? Is there one that might not have this bug?

Thanks for checking that out so quickly (and thanks for all the work throughout the years - a great service to the community)!
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jprophet wrote:
Are the wlconf util & wireless driver common across all builds of dd-wrt? Is there one that might not have this bug?

Thanks for checking that out so quickly (and thanks for all the work throughout the years - a great service to the community)!

No bug, this is a driver limitation, I just checked and used the wl commandline to add macs by hand directly on the router you can exactly set 64 MAC adresses, after that the driver returns invalid range.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mystery solved - thanks for digging into that!

The GUI allows for 128 addresses, but I can definitely keep it within 64 addresses.

My eternal thanks!
kingjohn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 22:16    Post subject: same with Netgear R7000 Reply with quote
I was just struggling with adding more than 64 MAC filter entries on my DD-WRT netgear box here.

After entering more than 64 items, wifi connection to the network fails....
After deleting those exceeding entries, everything works fine again!

So: 64 MAC filter entries still is the maximum in 2017....
I can live with it... Just have to know it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: