Issue with hotel login page TP-Link WR-703N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
pmmusale
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 21:41    Post subject: Issue with hotel login page TP-Link WR-703N Reply with quote
Hi,

I am currently staying in a hotel where they only have WiFi option for internet. I was successfully able to configure my TP-Link WR-703N router (on latest DD-WRT firmware) to connect to WiFi in Client Bridge mode and also act as access point for my devices. I am now able to connect any of my device to my router's WiFi network. I have used fixed IP addresses for my devices.

Hotel wifi requires me to enter password for first login and also it allows only one device to connect with high speed (3 Mbps) Additional devices can be connected but at low speed (<1 Mbps). That's why I have added router to allow me to connect all of my devices at high speed. Whenever I connect my device to my internal wifi network, I get login page and after that it allows me to use that device for whatever time I want. If I try to connect another device to my internal wifi network, then I am again presented with login page on new device. If I enter login information on new device, it starts working but then old device gets disconnected and I again receive the login page on old device.

What this means is, my external wifi somehow is able to detect that device is switched and it present login page on new device. Since all traffic is routed through WR-703N, I am not able to understand how external wifi detects the switch. As per my understanding, it should only see router's MAC and IP address as a connection point. I suspect that somehow IP/MAC addresses for individual devices are getting passed through router causing external wifi to trigger login page.

Please let me know if anyone of you will be able to provide more insight on how I can make sure that external wifi only sees WR-703N router's MAC and IP address as a connection point.

Thank you,
Prasad
Sponsor
shayne85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is cause you are using it in client bridge mode, the hotel's wifi is seeing each device connected to the router in this mode.

You need to use only the "client" mode . Read the following to learn the different between client and client bridge (aka repeater and repeater bridge as you're using a Atheros router).
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

As well, in client mode, I recommend logging on to the wifi using your laptop and then cloning (aka copying) your laptop's wireless MAC address to the router's wireless. That way you shouldn't have to log on to get the router internet access.
pmmusale
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks shayne85.

I tried one to clone the MAC address with my laptop's but it didn't work with hotel Wifi. I will try today one more time with client mode and will post the results.

Edit: After reading the link you provided, it seems I can not use Client mode as it only allows LAN connections for devices and no AP. I am looking for router to act as AP as well.

Is there a way to hide devices and pass only single IP and MAC address to hotel wifi in Client Bridge mode?
shayne85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
To have all the devices look like they are behind one MAC address and also have a wireless connection to that router, you need to use "repeater" mode in the DD-WRT world.

However, you will notice DD-WRT on the Atheros units does not have the Repeater option. However, that doesn't mean it cannot do it.

Client mode + virtual access point = Repeater mode

So put the router in client mode, clone your laptop's wireless MAC address (make sure not to use the wired MAC address), and create a virtual access point (VAP). Basically follow the guide for Repeater on that link I sent you.

All your wireless devices can connect to the virtual access point (it will be whatever SSID you set it to).

And remember, you'll have to authenticate your laptop first on the hotel's wifi, then disconnect from it and then boot up the router. You will run into problems if the hotel's wifi is seeing 2 devices with the same MAC address.
shayne85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read this thread about "repeater" mode on Atheros units:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47708
pmmusale
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. I have exactly done that in my current set-up with VAP.

I will play with config tonight and will let you know.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Prasad
pmmusale
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's working!

I was successfully able to put it in client mode with DHCP WAN configuration.

Thanks a lot for your help Shayne.

Regards,
Prasad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: