bricked e4200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Überkinger
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
godeyeswang wrote:
But there is no special naming or notes on the ftp server to indicate this is a test build.

But that server is fairly hidden, and likely only someone who has been to this forum, where the warnings are numerous and frequent, would ever be able to happen upon it.

No, this is not true !!!

Brainslayers Directory is official linked under
"Other downloads" if you search to E4200 (or other) in the Routers Database.

Boring repetition... this Mass-Brick-Situation was absolutly preventable. Not every TEST-User check the Forum, search and read some Threads or Posts, if newer Downloads are public available.

I think, you should strongly reconsider you workflow of release Test-Builds for the public.

Quote:

ALL builds are test builds, but some have been tested more than others. Hence the forum announcements and recommended builds. That FTP server is FOR releasing TEST builds. So anyone who accesses it should understand that the build is NOT necessarily stable. This is clearly set out in note 3 of the peacock announcement, which every broadcom reader NEEDS to read and understand.

If they are unstable, there is absolutly NO PROBLEM, but if a Test-Build produces a Mass-Brick-Situation, this is not ACCEPTABLE.

btw... the wrong firmware is also available for public download.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Überkinger wrote:

Boring repetition... this Mass-Brick-Situation was absolutly preventable. Not every TEST-User check the Forum, search and read some Threads or Posts, if newer Downloads are public available.

I think, you should strongly reconsider you workflow of release Test-Builds for the public.

TEST-User?
I have not seen one single serial log which could help Brainslayer figuring out what went wrong.
TEST-User without knowledge and/or equipment for serial logging and debricking?
It is, and has always been, a requirement here that if you want to run any other build than the Router Database recommended then you should also be prepared for a brick and be able to solve it.
Those who can't debrick shouldn't try an unknown build and should also refrain from calling themselves TEST-Users..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Überkinger wrote:

TEST-User?
I have not seen one single serial log which could help Brainslayer figuring out what went wrong.
TEST-User without knowledge and/or equipment for serial logging and debricking?
It is, and has always been, a requirement here that if you want to run any other build than the Router Database recommended then you should also be prepared for a brick and be able to solve it.
Those who can't debrick shouldn't try an unknown build and should also refrain from calling themselves TEST-Users..

I have made several posts regarding the 23082 build...on K26, it is using CCACHE optimization and the kernel is compiled with 4.5 linero, and this causes a kernel panic that is only recoverable via serial... There is a svn ticket in about this with serial logs. I compile K26 with 4.1.2 for the kernel without problem.. Kong also address'd this as well in the ticket.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/2997#comment:12

-Fractal
FWRoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I have read through the entirety of this post (so far). Makes me smile by the way - Will teach me to "RTFF" as I have Bricked my e4200 being too eager to upgrade Embarassed

Totally agree that this is No ones fault but my own, btw Sad

So to help me get this straight in my own head, have I understood the bones of the thread correctly:

The build causes a Kernel panic (I have always loved that expression - I have images of the kernel running around the cpu flailing its little hands in the air). As a consequence of this particular build issue it make recovery with tftp impossible and therefore a serial cable restore is the only way from here on in? (Which actually makes me feel better as I was following the peacock thread process correctly).
Cool, not had to touch board level soldering etc. like this for a good few years so will be a challenge Smile
What serial cable is best to get is my next question seeing as I don't have a single PC in the house with a serial port!
Or is there anyone offering a "De-brick service" at reasonable rates Laughing
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
wiki:serial recovery
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
ffaassttffwwdd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWRoo wrote:
As a consequence of this particular build issue it make recovery with tftp impossible and therefore a serial cable restore is the only way from here on in?

Almost correct. You still restore using TFTP; the difference is that with a bricked router the TFTP-restore operation cannot be started automatically, so a serial cable is necessary for sending the appropriate TFTP-restore commands to the E4200.

FWRoo wrote:
not had to touch board level soldering etc. like this for a good few years so will be a challenge Smile

It's not a difficult job on the E4200. Honestly, the hardest part is opening the case without cracking it. Fortunately, there are several case-opening tutorials online, and maybe even a Youtube video.

FWRoo wrote:
What serial cable is best to get is my next question

Get this one:
Pololu CP2104 USB-to-Serial Adapter Carrier
and download the appropriate driver software for it from Silicon Labs:
http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

You'll also need a USB A-to-Micro-B cable if you don't already have one. Pololu sells those, too:
http://www.pololu.com/product/1938 or http://www.pololu.com/product/1939.

The serial adapter ships with a breakaway header strip; snap a 5-pin section off the strip to solder into the E4200's holes, and snap another 5-pin section off the strip for the serial adapter. Solder it into the Vdd-Vbus-RX-TX-GND holes in the corner of the serial adapter.

Actually, you really only need RX, TX, and GND, so you can get by with a 3-pin strip on the adapter instead of a 5-pin strip.

To connect the adapter's header pins to the E4200's pins, you'll want to order these, also from Pololu:
Female-Female Jumper Wires
Order a 10-pack of 6-inch jumpers in your favorite color.

Don't forget that the serial adapter's RX connects to the E4200's TX, and vice-versa. GND connects to GND.

FWRoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you ffaassttffwwdd. The clarification I needed, very much appreciate your time to answer.
Just been practicing on my bricked E2500 (same over eager upgrade mania). Using a Nokia CA-42 clone cable for this. Sorted the pin out for the cable.
I bought this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151072798979?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
(For the wires - Black is ground White RX, Red TX for the adapter. The forth green wire is not used).

(FYI
Followed Serial Wiki. (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery).
Flashed with latest cisco firmware then put “dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e2500” via the web update and the job is done. One E2500 back up and running with dd-wrt.)

Now for the E4200 that is my main router....
FWRoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now, I seem to remember seeing a post to this effect. Will the "Nokia" cable option not work with the E4200?
FWRoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately I don't get a peep from the serial port of my E4200. Sad

(Using this thread as a reference http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=693780
I also found, once, another thread with a photo of the circuit board but darned if I can find it again Smile)

Anyone else have trouble with the serial port on E4200 models?
pug306d
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just did the same with build 23204, looks like this has been fixed in 23228 Sad someone should really take down those builds!

TFTP isn't recovering the router, any recommendations on ebay for serial connections?
FWRoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
pug306d - see ffaassttffwwdd post 3 up from yours.

I have not had any luck with a Nokia CA-42 "clone" from ebay (This worked on my E2500) but am wondering now if I have fried the serial chips when I soldered the header pins on as they look to be real close to the chips. I have no way to check however.

I am trying ffaassttffwwdd suggested serial chip anyway just in case. (But have to wait a while for delivery).
pug306d
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, let me know how you get on and I'll order one to...
FWRoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
FINALLY got my E4200 back in the land of the DD-WRT living. Hooray!!

dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k installed.

Here is what I did:

I soldered a full pin header onto the circuit board. I figured that if I am going to brick it again this will be useful. As I have added this “non-standard” feature to the router I didn’t bother saving the tamper tag when I opened it. I did wonder if I had heat damaged it during this operation (though I was as careful as I could be not to use the soldering iron for too long on each pin) as the CA-42 cable would not work when I first tried to recover it.

So: The clone Nokia CA-42 does NOT appear to work with this router model. I am pretty sure I saw another post to this effect on the forum, but I can’t find it again.

I was reluctant to purchase the Pololu CP2104 USB-to-Serial Adapter Carrier suggested by ffaassttffwwdd in his post above as I am UK based and the postage was going to be quite high when I looked into it.
So I took a punt and bought this one instead.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350859377992?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Nice and cheap plus delivery well earlier than estimated. No drivers came with it but fortunately the ones in ffaassttffwwdd post from Silicon Labs work perfectly with it - http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

I used putty as my serial client and tftp2 to write the firmware. I ran the apps on a Windows XP laptop. (The silabs drivers are also for Windows 7 and 8 but I have the old XP machine so decided to stick with that).

This thread gives good information on the E4200: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=693780
The serial pin-out is correct but the FRONT OF ROUTER arrow points to the face with the Ethernet ports etc. in it (I would call this the back personally).

Also used the Serial recovery wiki as pointed out by Murrkf. Thanks fella Wink

First flashed with Stock firmware, then with the mini trailed (via the Cisco web GUI) before finally putting on the big (cos I can), via the web GUI.
Between each I did a 30/30/30 reset.

And Robert is your avuncular relative!!

Thank you to you forum Gurus who have shared your knowledge and shown me how to do this.

I hope this information helps others
Very Happy
nyrang3rs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a reason why you are using the nv60k build file instead of the specific E4200 file?
Malitiacurt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Usually, specifics are trailed builds, you can flash any other build with the correct nvram size for K2.6 builds.

For K3.X different nvram sizes are taken care of by the firmware.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: