Am I bricked e3200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
myname70
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ffaassttffwwdd wrote:
myname70 wrote:
And mentioned when connected via the cable, PUTTY started and connected, but no power on of the router - I have echo. see the letters I type.. (the same if I make a short circuit between Rx and Tx). When Power the router, the echo disappears. is it normal?

Sometimes people make the mistake of connecting TX on the cable to TX on the router, and RX on the cable to RX on the router. Double-check to make sure that TX on your cable is correctly connected to RX on the router, and vice-versa.

GND on the cable should be connected to GND on the router, of course.

Thank you! You are right - I have connected the wrong way Smile after correction (Tx to Rx ) it works and I fixed the router Smile)
Sponsor
padaboana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
@myname.
Could you Plesse tell me the system You are running. Win or Linux Which sSoftware did You use to recover?
myname70
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
padaboana wrote:
@myname.
Could you Plesse tell me the system You are running. Win or Linux Which sSoftware did You use to recover?

Well, I used Windows 8.1 64 bit version Smile but used virtual machine in order to install Win XP 32 bit. And use the DKU5 WinXP driver (you can find it in the google) for the cable and Putty for serial connect.
lugger1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have very similar problem with e3200 and dd-wrt.v24-23204_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k, which after flashing over trailing version gave me half-bricked device. It responds to pings with ttl=100 though, so i thought there is still a hope. I tried to tftp it with original Linksys firmware (FW_E3200_1.0.04.001_US_20120410_code from linksys website) - doesn't work. Any any other dd-wrt.v24-23204_NEWD-2_K2.6 versions neither. And even dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv60k, which is from the same build as successfully installed over original Linksys version (at the very beginning) recommended in installation page - doesn't work either.
I think it's something wrong on the tftp stage. I've read than linksys routers require a password during tftp, so i put default "admin" into tftp Password line - still nothing (it uploads bin file successfully every time, doesn't matter with password or not, so i really not sure if it's necessary).
I noticed that after uploading the bin file, power led continues flashing while i wait required 2 minutes "while the new firmware flash configures itself" (and even 10-15, doesn't matter how long) and ping says
"Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=100" - for all 2-15 minutes, before i do 30-30-30 hard reset as recommended. Is it a normal behavior? Or power led should stop flashing when the new firmware done configuring itself? I've never seen it completing, so i don't know.
Also, during 30-30-30 reset, ping shows:
General failure.
General failure.
Reply from 192.168.1.8: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 192.168.1.8: Destination host unreachable.
then, at some point bootloader responds again with ttl=100:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=100
then Request timed out, and finally "Destination host unreachable".
I tried power down/up, it again shows bootloader respond with ttl=100, and then immediately "Destination host unreachable". Doest it mean that flash was not completed, or it's nvram problem, or what?
Also, am i missing something in tftp procedure (like password, etc)?
Malitiacurt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Need to use serial for recovery.
nyrang3rs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an E3200 and build 23138 is working fine for me.

dd-wrt.v24-23138_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e3200
padaboana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 19:47    Post subject: soldering to serial connectors Reply with quote
Hi!

How did you manage to solder the cables/pins to your router. in my opinion it is very trick and not so easy as it seems.

Any tips for that?

EDIT: Finally i managed to solder the cables. GND contact was the problem. The rest of the procedure was easy. Boomchakalaka Very Happy
EDIT1: BTW i used a silabs CP2102 for only 2,24 euro within shipping costs
lugger1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, i got the serial cable DKU-5 (with Alcor 9720 chip on it, and drivers that show it as "ZQ888 USB device" in device manager), and it looks like i soldered 3 wires in it to the right place on the e3200 board. The black one is GND, as it connects directly to the USB connector big metal part. The other 2 are Tx and Rx, i found Rx by seeing garbage on the terminal window when i touch the GND.
The hyperterminal port COM5 is set to 57600 -8 -none-1 - none. Emulation is Autodetect, ASCII setup - only "wrap line feeds to incoming line ends" is marked.
When i power router on, in the hyperterminal window i see the garbage, something like:
Ž))vm„†¦G¤„ÄG†„äņ¥G„„Ã¥Gb¦…¦„¦¤¦„…¦¤¤„Ħ„ó×y§åÄ„‡Ä„³í)m»©íGąÄG†„äG†¦G„
„Ã¥G†…bá„…„¤Ô„„„…„„¦„„¤tÞbŽõÅæ„„ÇÇb

Is it normal? Or should it be some meaningful text, as router boots up? Please let me know what you see during boot.
I tried to do control-c as fast as i can, but no cfe> prompt so far. Is it related to the hyperterminal settings, "ASCII sending" may be, or "Emulation"? Which setting in the hyperterm did you use?
UPD1. I changed speed at the port settings to 115200, and finally got meaningful output! It goes pretty fast, but it says:
"CFE version 1.0.37 for BCM947XX, etc. "
and ends with
"TCP: Hash tables configured (established 2048 bind 2048)
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"
Ctrl-C so far doesn't get me to the prompt

Last edited by lugger1 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 0:12; edited 1 time in total
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
lugger1 wrote:
i see the garbage, something like:
Ž))vm„†¦G¤„ÄG†„äņ¥G„„Ã¥Gb¦…¦„¦¤¦„…¦¤¤„Ħ„ó×y§åÄ„‡Ä„³í)m»©íGąÄG†„äG†¦G„
„Ã¥G†…bá„…„¤Ô„„„…„„¦„„¤tÞbŽõÅæ„„ÇÇb

Is it normal? Or should it be some meaningful text, as router boots up?

It is normal if something is not connected correctly. You should see readable text. Check all connections again. See the serial recovery wiki.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
lugger1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, i found that the garbage was coming because i set baud-rate to 56700, i changed it to 115200 and can see the meaningful output. But i can't stop it with ctrl-C. Is there a way to see if i really send something via putty (if ctrl-C really go through)? I tried to connect Rx to Tx wires and didn't see any echo in terminal. The wire itself is good, i checked it with ohmmeter.
padaboana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 21:35    Post subject: unbrick e3200 Reply with quote
@lugger1
You have only seconds to press ctrl+c after power on.
Did you connect tx to rx and rx to tx? That is important for the procedure!
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: