STP setting under WAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:19    Post subject: STP setting under WAN Reply with quote
Could someone explain what the STP setting is under the main Router Setup page for WAN? It used to say "Not for COMCAST" but recently that "warning" went away. What does STP stand for and what does it do? I can't find any reference in the help pages....redhawk
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/STP
1xWRT54Gv2

In need of WRT54GS <= v3 EU/UK for firmware-debugging purposes. Buffalo's are welcome too! PM me if you have a spare one.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Much appreciated...I don't know how I could have missed it when I searched....again thanx.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a particular reason the "disable for COMCAST ISP" advisory present in v23SP2 has disappeared in v24RC4? Or that it defaults to being enabled? The wiki, at least, still says it should be disabled on Comcast, maybe even most all cable systems (if not DSL).
swinn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
rseiler wrote:
Is there a particular reason the "disable for COMCAST ISP" advisory present in v23SP2 has disappeared in v24RC4? Or that it defaults to being enabled? The wiki, at least, still says it should be disabled on Comcast, maybe even most all cable systems (if not DSL).

I've often wondered why it is enabled by default since for most people, the correct setting would be disabled. The only time you need it is if you have multiple routers and they are connected in a way that would create a potential loop.

WL520gU (Routing)
Running DD-WRT v24 SP2 - http://www.dd-wrt.com
nemesisdb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've always assumed the correct setting for my situation would be disabled ... but since someone else brought up the topic:

I've got my router's WAN plugged into an ethernet jack that's part of my school's overall network. It's receiving a static DHCP address from the school as far as I can tell.

LAN side, it's just a bunch of computers and devices plugged into my router or connecting wirelessly (no other routers or standalone switches).

The correct setting would be disabled?
Azoth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:26    Post subject: Elaborate on STP setting definition/uses Reply with quote
rkloost wrote:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/STP

It isn't clear to me what this means...
The need for STP occurs when your router is being used in a mesh network with multiple WDS-enabled repeaters, or in an ad hoc network with multiple ad hoc connections.

What is a mesh network? Update: I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_distribution_system which explains well what a mesh network is.

What I'm actually trying to figure out is if STP should be ON when creating a "guest" access network using the Virtual Interfaces functionality (on the Wireless/Basic Settings tab) combined with the Bridging (on the Setup/Networking tab) to make a separate network on a separate subnet for your guests to use with or without a password.

Since I'm only using one Wireless router to do this I think that setting can be off without any problems occurring with loop-back.

STP now shows up under Setup/Basic and under Setup/Network tabs for each Bridge. I'm also confused as to why STP settings are in both locations.

Thanks in advance for your elaboration on this old topic.
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
STP at location Setup/Network is for bridge br0, I leave STP at default (OFF). Any NEW bridges at location Setup/Network I leave STP at default (new bridges=ON). I haven't ran into any issues.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: