chillispot and pppoe mtu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
sophana
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 13:56    Post subject: chillispot and pppoe mtu Reply with quote
Some users are complaining about chillispot not working in dd-wrt. They get a dhcp ip but don't access the welcome page.
It seems that it is related to pppoe MTU size.
It seems that there is a known bug with dd-wrt and chillispot with MTU related ip packets.
Can someone confirm or not if chillispot is working with pppoe?
there seem to be some workarounds with iptables described in this post: http://www.chillispot.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1038

Can someone test? I have no pppoe.

Thanks

Sponsor
moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
nope...it doesnt work with pppoe...
i dunno about the ip tables since i havent had time to test it...
i did try to change the mtu value on my pc with no good results...
apparently, the only affective workaround is to "chain" the chilispot router to another router that manages the pppoe connection...
same happens with sputnik agent...:(

cheers

Last edited by moreins on Wed Jun 27, 2007 23:03; edited 1 time in total
sophana
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems that the bug has been corrected in the coova chillispot svn version, but nobody confirmed it works (I can't test it...)
kg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 21:18    Post subject: ppoe bug Reply with quote
I just tried this with my verizon ppoe DSL and worldspot. I am running dd-wrt v23sp2.

Clients get an IP, but hit the timeout bug while connecting to the https page.

I'm more than happy to test to help replicate the bug or confirm any possible fixes.

best,

kg
sophana
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
to test the new coova chillispot version I think it will be simpler if you could install the coova firmware just for the test. Setup should be fast with the automatic configuration feature.
I don't know if the coova chillispot is compatible with dd-wrt. Maybe it is..

The coova author gave me a link to the modified chillispot ipk file: http://ap.coova.org/tmp/coova-chilli_1.0-coova.4-1_mipsel.ipk

You should try the coova firmware (beta4) unmodified first. Then just install this ipk:
ipkg install http://ap.coova.org/tmp/coova-chilli_1.0-coova.4-1_mipsel.ipk

If you could try it, that would be nice.

kg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 21:36    Post subject: coova Reply with quote
I honestly never heard of coova. I will check it out tonight/tomorrow and see if it will work on the dd-wrt boxes. If I can try it out with the firmware you provided, I will let you know...

kg
david
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
To test the MTU fix, please use the recent coova-chilli release (v5). I hope it works out for you... If you want a pkg built for a particular platform, let me know.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just saying: If someone figures this out for chillispot, it would be nice to get the info on how to insert the commands so that I could test it with Sputnik.

Uh, please.
pepsi_max2k
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
another request for the fix for chillispot mtu bug on ddwrt, or a ipkg that'll install on ddwrt mini (on a wrt54gl). thanks.

fwiw, i'm not sure if the following will work as i've only tried one of them once and it didnt seem to do much...

Quote:
The following is a possible, but untested fix to the problem - paste and save as firewall in admin > commands.[/color]

Code:
#!/bin/sh

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -m tcpmss --mss 1421:65535 -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

The following may also work as a fix:

Paste the following in Admin > Commands and click Save Firewall.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1452

Reboot, then login to the router over telnet or ssh and enter the following:

Code:
ifconfig tun0 mtu 1492
pepsi_max2k
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
no need for a fix (altough it would be nice) as the above firewall code should work fine.

i just add this to admin > commands and save firewall (used with a default mtu of 1492):

Code:
# IF USING MTU OTHER THAN 1500 (PPPOE), use following line and change 1452 to your mtu minus forty
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -m tcpmss --mss 1452:65535 -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 19:19    Post subject: We use this a lot - HELP Reply with quote
We have 50 Libraries that are running WRT54GL with the DD-WRT software, and Chillispot.
Most of our sites are having dificulties accessing sites like hotmail.com and yahoo.com.
We've confirmed it's an MTU issue by manually setting the MTU size on the laptop and it works fine.

Would it be possible to have a fix built into a version of DD-WRT so we can upgrade easily?

Thanks
sdoboze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:44    Post subject: MTU and Chillispot with certain websites. Reply with quote
Apparently, and I just ran into this bug and fix so I am continuing this thread:

The MTU of the TUN (virtual adapter) Chillispot sets up is 1500. This is obviously a problem where the maximum MTU is 1492. With DHCP on the WAN side, this is apparently not a problem. There comes the recommendation to use an upstream router.

However, for those of us with only one piece of equipment, and all our hardware set in place and otherwise working, there may not be an allowance for a 'hardware cludge', while considering similar VPN applications like OpenVPN can have the MTU set to whatever low number is necessary to 'clear' the upstream encapsulation & router limitations.

Code:
/usr/sbin/iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -m tcpmss --mss 1421:65535 -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

Worked for our setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: