Build 14929 Micro - Static lease will not stick to device...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
J-Reis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:32    Post subject: Build 14929 Micro - Static lease will not stick to device... Reply with quote
Flashed a WRT54GS (unfortunately ver. 5) I had picked up in a trade over to DD-WRT long ago. Set and forget for 5 years or more with it happily slaving away as my primary AP with my never giving it a second thought (thanks to the devs for that, btw). Recently crawled back in to add a static lease for the youngin's new smartphone (an HTC 8XT - Windows Phone) so I could redirect him through OpenDNS. Unfortunately I just cannot get the router to assign the IP I specify. The phone (WindowsPhone8XT) connects just fine but recieves an IP from the standard pool . . . everything else on the router works as expected, including two other static leases set up for port forwarded devices.

Came back to the forums looking for advice and found a lot of info. Upgraded to the recommended build from redhawk0's thread (I think) according to the instructions in Peacock (steps a-h / 30-30-30 > power cycle > 30-30-30), then re-entered all settings through the web interface - specifically entering each static lease one at a time and clicking 'Apply Settings' after each one.

Behavior after these operations is the same as before - the smartphone gets an IP from the standard pool, while the two other static lease clients get their correct IPs. I've tried switching the order in which I enter the static leases and it is always the same phone which fails while the other two leases work. Everything else in the router is working as expected. Screenshots of relevant bits attached.

Very grateful to the Devs (the only vxworks firmware that bothers to support my gimped 2mB device) . . . I hope I haven't missed anything before calling for attention, but I'm well and truly stumped.

Telnet.png
 Description:
Putty showing static_leasenum and static_leases
 Filesize:  101.47 KB
 Viewed:  6054 Time(s)

Telnet.png

Clients.png
 Description:
Clients list showing wrong IP assigned to WindowsPhone8XT
 Filesize:  111.8 KB

Clients.png

Services.png
 Description:
Services Panel
 Filesize:  86.38 KB

Services.png

Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
reset the phone.. or..

Not sure how to do it on your device buy my iPhone, ipod/pad..

tell the device to forget the network, then connect it again. With my device type, there is a difference between "disconnecting / reconnecting" and "forgetting".

My iPxxx devices would remember their settings and ip and continue to use the dhcp assigned ip.

Not sure if it will work for you but that is what I had to do.

I also run my dhcp lease time @ 300 minutes so the leases renew more often.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:54    Post subject: Interesting, but no luck . . . Reply with quote
I was fairly certain I had tried this over the course of my battle with the issue, but to be certain I did the following: long-pressed on my network within the Wifi settings of the phone and selected "Forget Network" - verfied this by selecting the network again and seeing that I was prompted for a password > turned off Wifi on the device. Powered off the device.

Entered the WebGUI of the router and deleted the existing lease for the device (Status > LAN). Rebooted the router.

Then powered on the phone, (re)enabled Wifi, selected my network, entered the network key and connected . . .

Same as before, device got the IP 192.168.1.105

Let me know if I covered your suggestion properly, but if so - no luck Confused

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:00    Post subject: Re: Interesting, but no luck . . . Reply with quote
J-Reis wrote:

Same as before, device got the IP 192.168.1.105

Are you sure it "got" the ip address?
Looks to me as if the phone is setup for a static ip and not for dhcp.

Your Status/LAN screenshot doesn't show the lower part where we can see the actual DHCP leases.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:53    Post subject: Static IP on device Reply with quote
Fairly sure. To start with Windows Phone 8 has no facility for setting a static IP within the interface -- at least in so far as I can tell (this conclusion is strongly supported by a quick google search: --here-- --here-- --here--).

Besides that, the device has picked up other IPs from the pool in the past. Perhaps the fact that it received the same IP in this instance is more than a coincidence? (a hint at the internal process perhaps) -- but static IP configured on the device is not the cause.

<edited> to add screenshot showing leases - in case that should be helpful

Leases.png
 Description:
As requested . . . Status > LAN showing bottom portion
 Filesize:  47.38 KB
 Viewed:  5966 Time(s)

Leases.png

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 14:14    Post subject: Re: Interesting, but no luck . . . Reply with quote
J-Reis wrote:
Let me know if I covered your suggestion properly, but if so - no luck Confused

Seems so.. I am out of ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
did you have the phone connect first so that you could get its wifi mac address? i have a feeling that the phone has two mac addresses which would be one for the internal modem and the other for the wifi mac.

you could be entering its modem mac address without knowing.

at least thats what im guessing. take what i said with a grain of salt.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
J-Reis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 14:38    Post subject: Good thought! Reply with quote
That's a great thought, about the two MAC addresses . . . but as it happens I copied the MAC address from the WebUI's extant client list when I entered the static lease settings.

The MAC in the screenshots match (the one under Services tab where the static lease is specified and the one in the clients list adjacent to the wrong IP.

I just now verified that the phone itself lists the same MAC under Wifi settings Sad so this does not seem to be the case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: