Xbox One is not port forwarding via UPnP

Goto page 1, 2  Next
mjpartyboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 17:28    Post subject: Xbox One is not port forwarding via UPnP Reply with quote
The X1's IP address, whether reserved or assigned by DHCP, never appears in the UPnP ports table.

I have discovered why my X1 reports a Strict or Moderate NAT sometimes and it's after one of the 360s uses one of the ports the X1 needs. As soon as a Live port is used for a 360 via UPnP, 3074 for example, the X1 drops to Strict and I have to disconnect the 360, clear the UPnP table and re-test the X1 to get it Open again.

Manual port forwarding or using the DMZ don't fix the problem.

This is exactly the reason why I use UPnP, because with DD-WRT I can connect multiple 360s to Live at the same time, all with an Open NAT.

If 360 1 is using 3074, UPnP will map 360 2 to a different port number that grants the same access as 3074 allowing both to communicate with the Live service at the same time, thus granting an Open NAT to all connected 360s. The X1 is not triggering port forwarding via UPnP to utilise this feature, so is the device that suffers when a 360 is in use.

The PS3 used to have a UPnP enable/disable option on the console itself, which I thought was odd, but perhaps if the 360 had this, enabling it would tell the console to use UPnP, which once it uses UPnP to trigger the ports I'm sure it will resolve the multiple device issue.

For reference:

- When I have an Open NAT, the X1's Detailed NAT Information says: Your network is behind a cone NAT

- When I have a Moderate NAT, the X1's Detailed NAT Information says: Your network is behind a port-restricted NAT

- When I have a Strict NAT, the X1's Detailed NAT Information says: Your network is behind a port-preserving port-symmetric NAT

I really need the X1 to utilise UPnP to allow it and the 360s to be connected to Live at the same time all with an Open NAT. As it stands, as soon as a 360 talks to Live, it takes the ports and because the X1 isn't using UPnP to assign an alternative port into the service, it falls back to a Strict NAT.

There are lots of thread about NAT issues on the Xbox One Support Forum, but I thought I would see what the geniuses here might suggest.

Last edited by mjpartyboy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 21:00; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
aesmith62
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same UPnP issue with the xb1 and the 360 works fine. I had to resort to port forwarding etc as a work around for now.

XB1 never shows up on DD-WRT UPnP list.
iLLNESS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
xbox one is using more ports for their service now. uPnP is an unreliable service to begin with and isn't perfect at all. ddwrt users are not alone. i have a pfsense box that suffers from the same issues (upnp not working, if im lucky port 4500 is forwarded but nothing else).

regardless, you will have to use port forwarding for the xb1 for now.

please refer to https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

88/3074 isn't going to cut it anymore. you should try upnp on and forward UDP Port 3544 and UDP Port 4500 to your xb1. this shouldnt affect multi consoles between 360/xb1 but multiple xb1's obviously aren't going to work right now until upnp is fixed.
mjpartyboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
The X1 uses seven ports and four of them are the same ones the 360 uses. Using DD-WRT's UPnP I am able to have multiple 360s connected to Live all with an Open NAT at the same time. The X1 doesn't ever show in the UPnP table for the existing Live ports, let alone the three new ones it uses.

Port forwarding isn't an option, because you can only manually forward ports to one IP address, so the 360s will never get an Open NAT this way. The other issue I have is that because the X1 is not using UPnP, whether I port forward or not, as soon as the first 360 joins the network it takes the original Live ports via UPnP leaving the X1 with a Strict NAT.

As you said, DD-WRT users are not alone, so something isn't right with the X1 in my opinion, because why isn't it even registering the four original Live ports in the UPnP table even if it's the first device to connect to the network. Yet for years DD-WRT's UPnP feature has worked flawlessly with my 360s, allowing them to all get an Open NAT without fail.

This is just something else in a list of issues the X1 currently has. It feels like it's a few months away from being ready to be released to be honest. I hope Microsoft push out updates sooner rather than later to address the issues.
mjpartyboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't found a fix for using DD-WRT, so I set my Virgin Media Superhub 2 back into router mode to compare it against the D-Link and DD-WRT combo. I left it broadcasting a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network and am using the 5 GHz one exclusively for the X1. UPnP was already enabled and I allowed IPSec in the firewall setting (VM suggest this for the X1 on their own support forums). Enabling IPSec in DD-WRT made no difference to my NAT situation.

Immediately my X1 got an Open NAT and was reporting a faster download speed than on the 2.4 GHz network (60 MB instead of 30 MB) and the NAT remained Open when my 360 joined the network and after performing a Live test on it. With DD-WRT, as soon as a 360 just joined the network, the X1's NAT would drop to Strict.

It's a shame the SH2 doesn't have a UPnP table to be able to see what's going on with the ports.

Using the SH2, the X1 doesn't display VM's DNS servers with it set to auto, or whatever you've set up in your router, and it just displays the gateway's IP in DNS 1. This reminds me of the early 360 days with my Linksys router. I didn't try specifying the gateway IP in DNS 1 with the D-Link and DD-WRT combo to see if that would have any effect, which is about the only settings I didn't try as it was getting to a point of trying anything with the X1.

I'll keep an eye on the NAT and see what happens.

Supposedly, using the X1 in instant-on mode causes NAT issues compared to energy saving mode. I was already using energy saving mode as I didn't like the constant humming of whatever is running in instant-on standby.

As it seems to be causing so many issues on the X1, it's a shame you can't choose to display the NAT type somewhere on the Home screen to be able to see it more quickly during a game.
mjpartyboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I couldn't solve this issue with my DIR-615 and DD-WRT, so I tried D-Link's own firmware and that appeared to allow the X1 and 360s on the network at the same time without messing up the X1 NAT, but the stock firmware isn't stable and I had to keep rebooting the router to sort it out.

I bought a new router to see if that would make a difference and went for an Asus RT-N66U and am running Merlin firmware on it. With this router everything works and its performance is rock solid.

I wonder if the issue with DD-WRT is around the IPSec Passthrough feature that Virgin Media say to enable to fix X1 NAT issues on their Superhubs.

The Asus firmware has a NAT Passthrough section that includes the IPSec option and others that DD-WRT and the Superhub 2 do not include. Here are the Asus options and how I have them set:

PPTP Passthrough - Enable
L2TP Passthrough - Enable
IPSec Passthrough - Enable
RTSP Passthrough - Enable
H.323 Passthrough - Enable
SIP Passthrough - Enable
Enable PPPoE Relay - Disable

DD-WRT has IPSec, PPTP and L2TP are in Security > VPN Passthrough and I think they are all enabled by default.

Perhaps this thread will help others or lead to discover what the X1 is doing differently when it joins a network compared to the 360.
ihacks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:56    Post subject: DMZ Forwarding Reply with quote
Why don't you try DMZ?

What is DMZ?
"The DMZ host feature allows one local host to be exposed to the Internet for a special-purpose service such as Internet gaming or video conferencing. The Router forwards packets of all services to the DMZ host. Any PC that is set to be DMZ host must have its DHCP client function disabled and should have a new static IP address assigned to it because its IP Address may change when using the DHCP function."
mjpartyboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried putting the X1 in the DMZ and it still drops back to Strict.

Lots of NAT issues still being posted on the official forums, so I still believe the X1 is doing something differently, because I can't believe all the users experiencing problems have made changes to their home networks at the same time as getting their X1.
DeLaJSR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have two Xbox One, build 21286's UPnP works fine, 23194 and 23320 not
mjpartyboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
DeLaJSR wrote:

I tried build 21286 tonight and the X1 still doesn't appear in the DD-WRT UPnP table, whilst the 360s and PS4 do.
seltzermx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
mjpartyboy wrote:
DeLaJSR wrote:

I tried build 21286 tonight and the X1 still doesn't appear in the DD-WRT UPnP table, whilst the 360s and PS4 do.

I'm having similar issues with my X1. Recently updated my WNDR3700v1 from stock to build 23598. I did this over the weekend, before getting the X1 on Monday, so I can't comment on stock vs. DDWRT experience.

First, I tried UPNP with no luck (360 and PS3 worked well and showed up on the UPNP list). Then, I set up a static IP for it and did all ports listed on their website and no luck either. The tried to DMZ it as well as disabling the SPI firewall with no luck. The setting in the X1 still always show Strict, never even moderate (and between all these changes I'd do a full power down for the X1, unplugging it for a few minutes, but no 30-30-30 Wink ).

To be honest, I haven't actually tried gaming on it yet (just downloaded Titanfall), so I'm not sure if the game has its own NAT meter like COD ghosts, and if so, what it will be in there.

As a side note, I do have ports forwarded for torrents as well as a NAS i'm running and those work well. I tested them on one of those websites that let you check your IP for open ports and those always showed up as open instantly, while the X1 ones would take a while, then come up negative.

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: was also going to mention something funny after the DDWRT upgrade. My NAS was connected to my Popcorn Hour A-110 via SAMBA, but after the upgrade, by A-110 could never find my homegroup and login via SAMBA again. I had to setup NFS and log-in that way. Just something strange that happened and not sure if related.
bumgarb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was having this problem as of yesterday... but I think I fixed it today by upgrading to a new DDWRT build.

I have an RT-N66U that had build 21402. Nothing in my house was showing up in the UPNP forwards table, specifically my PS3, 360 or X1. For the 360 and X1, this was impacting XBOX Live service, and I could only use one console at a time. Port forwarding helped some, but didn't allow both consoles at the same time.

Today I installed the newer K3X build 23598. This build is from Feb 2014, so it is fairly new (I had read some issues with the most recent builds).

First test, I turned on the 360 and soon saw the UPNP table listing host XBOX with UDP 3074 forwarding. I turned on the X1 and soon saw host "Teredo" forwarding to UDP 40735. "Teredo" is forwarding to the X1's IP address. Success. UPNP saw that 3074 was already forwarding and assigned an alternate.

I rebooted the router to clear the UPNP table.

Second test, I turned on the X1 first. UPNP table listed "Teredo" as forwarding to UDP 3074 (again, the correct IP for the X1). I turned on the 360, which was now forwarding on UDP 40735. Success.

So other than UPNP recognizing the X1 as Teredo (which isn't a big deal), it seems that the solution is to upgrade to a newer ddwrt build.
seltzermx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's strange, I'm running the same build as you with no success with UPNP.

2 questions:
1) When you tried port forwarding on the X1, did the nat in the System setting show open, moderate or strict?
2) and same one for when you did UPNP. Did it move away from strict?

Because I can connect to the service and the network produces a healthy 90mbps result (I have 110), so I have a good connection there. Its just the NAT being strict that annoys me, since it never was on my 360.
bumgarb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, I've put my production router back in place that has build 21402 on it. 2.4G dropped out twice in a 8 hour period with K3x build 23598. I had seen mention of that issue but thought it was just the most recent build.

With respect to your question, yes I did manage to get NAT to show OPEN on the X1 with port forwarding 21402. I never tested whether it would stay open if the 360 was on.

For port forwarding, Try this.
Make sure your 360 is off.
With the X1 on, touch the Xbox symbol on the X1 for about 10 seconds to make the console do a full power down.
Once the power supply light turns orange, unplug the X1 power supply.
Wait for the orange light to go out (this discharge can take longer than you'd expect)
Plug the supply back in.
Turn the X1 back with the controller.
Check your NAT in the X1.

My X1 started showing open after I did this and has shown open since with port forwarding. But I was not trying to fix Nat by doing these steps. These steps were given to me by official Xbox support because none of my games would load.

With UPNP, the X1 also showed open and it did not require any special reboot sequence.

Anyway... off to search for a build with functional 2.4GHz, 5GHz, upnp, QoS, and that allows a fully isolated 2.4 guest network while still allowing static dhcp, etc, etc. I'll try to post the results of my next attempt too.
seltzermx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
After a few more full resets on both the router and X1, I did manage to get Teredo on 3074 to show up in UPNP on the X1's IP. Sadly, that's the only one, and the X1 still shows strict NAT.

As a side note, I did also try to add the ports manually to "port range forwarding" (even though there were no ranges), but still no dice.

Sadly I don't have the patience (nor time to re-setup everything on my network) to test out different builds of DD-WRT to see if others might work better, so this will have to do for now.

Maybe I'll test a newer version at some point in the future.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: