See bandwidth per ip address on WAN ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
PetorPervii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 19:26    Post subject: See bandwidth per ip address on WAN ? Reply with quote
I have office of 16 computers on Ethernet and very slow DSL internet 6 Mbps. Someone using all bandwidth and i cannot find who.

I got Buffalo WZR-600DHP router and WiFi disabled i only use it as Firewall,
Firmware: Buffalo's DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (11/04/12) std

Under "NAT/QoS" > "QoS" tab there's some pretty interesting options i can limit bandwidth by single ip or set same limit for all ip's. So since i dont know who stealing bandwidth i set limit to all ip's 25 KB/s download and 5 KB/s upload, however now people started to complain that internet got slow so i had to disable this limit.

I'd rather need way to identify which ip uses most bandwidth, and only limit that computer.

I dont see option for this, i only see every connection each computer under "Status > Router > "Active IP Connections" number is link.
And under Status > Bandwidth i see overall real time bandwidth usage for WAN and WiFi.

What i missing is ability to see real time bandwidth usage per user
And ability to LOG per user how many total megabytes they downloaded and uploaded for day/week/month.

And also resolve ip addresses from connections to host names for ease of identifying what service they used.

Is there some way to do so i know in professional DD-WRT firmware there's a lot of other things than Web Interface control panel... However i am new to it and have no clue, for now i dont want to install Community release of DD-WRT as i will return router if it does not do what i need.
Sponsor
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use proxy server on one of your computers. It can help you to know statistic and control the traffic. In QoS of your router you can give priority for protocols too, because it seams somebody uses P2P.
PetorPervii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for response, by using proxy you mean set one computer as proxy to route all traffic. E.g. place it between T1 socket and router? Would you recommend software i need to install to do it?

Setting up new PC is kind of hassle too, i bet proxy software is not fee.
Feature i looking for does not look like a big change for DD-WRT firmware, could there be community DD-WRT firmware that can do what i need?

----------------

Or you mean just set up proxy on every computer in the office?

My goal of buying DD-WRT router was to centrally do all the monitoring and restrictions, as i cannot go to every computer in the office and change proxy DNS settings, besides anyone can disable this settings. Unless their account is limiter, however limiting their accounts seems like a headache too as they sometimes need to update skype and other software and always come to me when it fails on limited account.

Also i cannot change proxy/dns on Phones and Laptops that people bring.
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
See PM.

If you want to use DD-WRT only, you should use QoS. With setting boundaries for all your clients by MAC addresses. You will not get statistic, but you will manage speeds and traffic amount for all your users.
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the very late response

To see who's hogging the bandwidth, take a look at YAMon (an add-on I've written for *WRT) that reports on all traffic usage for every device connected to your network. You can organize the devices into arbitrary groupings (e.g., by owner or by function) and the data gets rolled up into hourly, daily & monthly reports.

See http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259806 for details
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: