Support for netgear R6300 / R6300v2 ?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, figured out the upper/lower thing, I'll call it a senior moment. I changed the channel to 10 extension channel upper. I did have one G device which I powered off and set router to N only. I had tried that previously with no change and it did not make a change this time either. I also turned off MAC filtering and again, no difference. Output power is still low. After none of that worked I reset to defaults made the appropriate settings manually with results unchanged. I don't want to take up too much of your valuable time. I'll leave dd-wrt on for a day or two just in case you do think of some other possibility. Thanks again for your efforts, I do appreciate your assistance.

Jim

Edit: Interesting development, As long as I had dd-wrt loaded I thought I would give USB storage a try. First thing noticed was that my Seagate Backup+ 3TB USB3 drive was not recognized when plugged into the USB3 port. Had the same problem with Netgear firmware. Works fine in the USB2 port on the side. Now here's the real kicker, after doing so I glanced at my tablet WiFi Analyzer and the signal strength is now in the -20db range! So why would plugging in a USB drive cause the signal strength to jump up???
Sponsor
robo872
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimfree wrote:
OK, figured out the upper/lower thing, I'll call it a senior moment. I changed the channel to 10 extension channel upper. I did have one G device which I powered off and set router to N only. I had tried that previously with no change and it did not make a change this time either. I also turned off MAC filtering and again, no difference. Output power is still low. After none of that worked I reset to defaults made the appropriate settings manually with results unchanged. I don't want to take up too much of your valuable time. I'll leave dd-wrt on for a day or two just in case you do think of some other possibility. Thanks again for your efforts, I do appreciate your assistance.

Jim

Edit: Interesting development, As long as I had dd-wrt loaded I thought I would give USB storage a try. First thing noticed was that my Seagate Backup+ 3TB USB3 drive was not recognized when plugged into the USB3 port. Had the same problem with Netgear firmware. Works fine in the USB2 port on the side. Now here's the real kicker, after doing so I glanced at my tablet WiFi Analyzer and the signal strength is now in the -20db range! So why would plugging in a USB drive cause the signal strength to jump up???

OMG...The same situation was happened for me. I do not know reason to up signal strength. I had known see after read your relpy.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimfree wrote:

Hmm that would explain, why I haven't noticed a problem, because I had a usb drive attached from the beginning.

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll see if I can reproduce and fix it.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
jimfree wrote:

Hmm that would explain, why I haven't noticed a problem, because I had a usb drive attached from the beginning.

Actually, I just tried this and you don't even need to have a drive plugged in, you just need to have USB Core Support enabled. I got an instant 20db jump (roughly) in signal just by turning it on. Whether that yields any real-world benefits i'll have to test.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
ydoucare wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
jimfree wrote:

Actually, I just tried this and you don't even need to have a drive plugged in, you just need to have USB Core Support enabled. I got an instant 20db jump (roughly) in signal just by turning it on. Whether that yields any real-world benefits i'll have to test.

Yep I see the problem, testing a few things out now.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK found the bug. Next release includes the fix.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Awesome!
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Thanks, you are indeed awesome. Build 22835 is working very nicely. We'll give it a few days/weeks burn in to see how it goes in the long run.

Thanks again!
juggie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Hi Kong,

The R6250 is pretty much identical hardware to the R6300 with the exception of the 5ghz wifi chip being 2x2 instead of 3x3. Do you need to get a development unit to produce a rom for this device, or might you be able to procure the information you need to compare R6300 vs R6250 from the available sources. I have full console access so if there is anything I can provide that may help, let me know.

Thanks!
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
juggie wrote:
<Kong> wrote:

Hi Kong,

The R6250 is pretty much identical hardware to the R6300 with the exception of the 5ghz wifi chip being 2x2 instead of 3x3. Do you need to get a development unit to produce a rom for this device, or might you be able to procure the information you need to compare R6300 vs R6250 from the available sources. I have full console access so if there is anything I can provide that may help, let me know.

Thanks!

R6250 is already supported, see my download links.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Kong,

Just to confirm, I assume its possible to flash stock back?
Gingernut
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
juggie wrote:
Thanks Kong,

Just to confirm, I assume its possible to flash stock back?

Yes, it's possible
Sorbe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 19:07    Post subject: DNS Weirdness Reply with quote
Overall the R6300v2 is running GREAT with build "Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/17/13) kongac"

However, there is something very strange going on with DNS. This may be a general DD-WRT issue rather than an R6300v2 issue, but here it is in any case.

The R6300v2 router seems to be fielding DNS queries and resolving most public ones correctly, but it is not using the WAN provided DNS server addresses to do it.

More particularly, I can get proper DNS resolution for stuff like google.com, but if I try looking up anything 'internal' which is should be supplied by OUR dns servers (DNS addresses as correctly advertised in the "Status | WAN" page, DNS servers), it fails DNS resolution.

for example (not the real names):

nslookup anydomain.com ==> (works)
nslookup internal.anydomain.com ==>(fails)
nslookup internal.anydomain.com wandns.anydomain.com ==> (works)

It's like the router is using it's own DNS server list and ignoring the ones provided by DHCP on the WAN port. This is particularly annoying since it messes with all the router attached client devices as well through DNSmasq.

Any idea what is up on this?
juha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:20    Post subject: 802.11ac and channel width Reply with quote
Running the 22860 firmware on my r6300v2:

DD-WRT v24-sp2 kongac
Release: 11/17/13 (SVN revision: 22860M)

Nice work. The iMac here says it's connected with 802.11ac.

The channel width setting in the web GUI seems to be ignored for both 2.4 and 5GHz though - wl says it's the default 20MHz for both frequencies.

Is there another way to enable wider channels, especially for 5GHz?

Thanks
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:39    Post subject: Re: 802.11ac and channel width Reply with quote
juha wrote:
Running the 22860 firmware on my r6300v2:

DD-WRT v24-sp2 kongac
Release: 11/17/13 (SVN revision: 22860M)

Nice work. The iMac here says it's connected with 802.11ac.

The channel width setting in the web GUI seems to be ignored for both 2.4 and 5GHz though - wl says it's the default 20MHz for both frequencies.

Is there another way to enable wider channels, especially for 5GHz?

Thanks

Update, this is a work under progress and you are not using his latest release.

Navigation

Jump to: