Help with portable 3G Wi-Fi router

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
juanps90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 0:06    Post subject: Help with portable 3G Wi-Fi router Reply with quote
Well, first of all, this is my first time here so I apologize if this is not the appropriate section for this thread.

Secondly, I recently purchased a router like the one in the following picture:

The web interface is pretty much broken when it comes to the 3G settings. It does not appear to work with my Huawei E173.

I logged into it using the telnet interface but I could not seem to get it to work either. I did some research and it seems to be quite straightforward: set up a chat file and change some settings and done but the problem is that the file system is read only so there is no way to change anything.

The file system looks quite similar to a dd-wrt ( i think ). It has the etc_ro folder under /.

The device itself has an option to upgrade the firmware, but I have not found any way to backup the current firmware.

According to the web interface:
Code:

Software version: 3.5.3.0 Build 1308162321
Hardware version: EDM-WiFi V1.0

This is the set of commands that are available:

Code:
3g.sh                comgt                expr                 iptables             mdev.sh              poweroff             send_sms             udhcpc
[                    config-3g-ppp.sh     fdisk                iwconfig             mii_mgr              pppd                 sh                   udhcpc.sh
[[                   config-dns.sh        firewall.sh          iwpriv               mkdir                pppoe.sh             sigmon               udhcpd
ash                  config-iTunes.sh     free                 kill                 mknod                printf               sleep                umount
ated                 config-igmpproxy.sh  g++-uc               killall              mount                proftpd              snmp.sh              uptime
autoconn3G.sh        config-l2tp.sh       global.sh            klogd                mount.ntfs-3g        proftpd.sh           snort.sh             usb3g_modem
automount.sh         config-pppoe.sh      goahead              lan.sh               mtd_write            ps                   stomanager           usb_modeswitch
basename             config-pptp.sh       gpio                 lighttpd             nat.sh               pwd                  storage.sh           vconfig
brctl                config-udhcpd.sh     grep                 lld2d                ntfs-3g              ralink_init          switch               vi
busybox              config-vlan.sh       halt                 ln                   ntp.sh               read_sms             sync                 vpn-passthru.sh
cat                  config.sh            hostname             logger               ntpclient            reboot               syslogd              wan.sh
chat                 cp                   hso_connect.sh       login                nvram_daemon         reg                  telnetd              wc
chgwan.sh            cpubusy.sh           ifconfig             logread              nvram_get            rm                   test                 wifi_unload.sh
chmod                date                 init                 ls                   nvram_set            rmmod                tftp
chpasswd             echo                 insmod               lsmod                ping                 route                top
chpasswd.sh          eject                internet.sh          mdev                 ping6                sed                  touch

I checked the PCB and I could find a RX and TX solder pads. A friend of mine says he successfully revived a bricked router using his arduino.

So my questions are:

- Has anyone had any experience with this device before?
- Is there any way to backup the current firmare? By some hardware method? I have plenty of electronics stuff just in case.
- Is there any way to know if it is dd-wrt capable?

Thanks in advance ! Cool

router2.jpg
 Description:
Welcome page
 Filesize:  181.44 KB
 Viewed:  25064 Time(s)

router2.jpg

router1.png
 Description:
Status view
 Filesize:  94.75 KB
 Viewed:  25064 Time(s)

router1.png

Sponsor
ktv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
your device its HAME MPR-A1 Chinesee OEM clone (branded also as N-Link MPR-M1, Sanoxy WR-M3GU12, Icon3G MT4214 and many others), you can try to upgrade your firmware from that devices (I think the best is http://www.media-tech.eu/products/networking/MT4214#

There is also openwrt implementation, but it doesnt work well on this device
https://github.com/Squonk42/OpenWrt-RT5350

please let me know about your opinion after upgrade your router with other firmware
juanps90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried to upload the firmware on that page but it failed:

Code:
Not a valid firmware. Bad Magic Number: "/var/cgivvHSzw" is no valid image

Thank you very much.
juanps90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
So i tried and burnt the firmware on the hame website and it freakin bricked my device.

This is where I got the firware from.

http://www.hamedata.com/uploadfiles/download/201209070451555781.rar

Any clues on how to unbrick it?

Thanks
juanps90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Somehow it now came to life after plugging in the RX and TX to a FT232RL.

The new firmware looks so much better. Still won't get to connect with my HUAWEI E173
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: