Range problems with SR5 and DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware
lschweiss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:25    Post subject: Range problems with SR5 and DD-WRT Reply with quote
I have in production a backhaul with WiliOS v 3.51 that I am hoping to replace with DD-WRT. However, there seems to be a range problem with DD-WRT and the SR5.

Using a GW2348-4 board an the evaluation copy of DD-WRT I set it up so it would function as a drop in replacement for the second node on my backhaul. This node has an SR5 for the backhaul and a CM9 for local clients. The DD-WRT board I set up was tested against the first node at close range.

From the close range test, the first node saw equal signal levels between the DD-WRT board and another WiliOS test board. However at close range DD-WRT reports a signal level from the 1st node as -11 and WiliOS was reporting -45 from the same location and same SR5 card. Why the discrepency, I don't know. Possible changes in the MADWIFI driver.

Once the DD-WRT board was confirmed to link to my existing 1st node on the backhaul I attepted to swap it with the 2nd node at distance. This is where DD-WRT fell over. It would not even detect the first node at distance. (DD-WRT was set at 15000m distance for ack timing)

This link is a 8.2 mile link between two GW2348-4 boards w/ SR5 radios. It has been in operation for 6 months and maintains a -67 +/- 2 rssi and is locked at 48mb. The noise floor appears to be at about 84 rssi, but the MADWIFI in WiliOS is not capable of reporting noise.

This isn't the first time I've run into range problems with software other than the WiliOS. In the past I tried IkarusOS and encountered the same problem, so this may be a problem in the newer MADWIFI drivers and HAL.

I want to get away from WilIOS so I can use 5 and 10 mhz channels with an SR9, something WiliOS cannot do. And besides they piss all over the GPL too.

Any help on getting this to work properly at distance would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to run experiments, but I have only one long range link which is in production so any additional tests need to be well planned.

I would really like to dump WiliOS and purchase DD-WRT. Smile
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
i did alot of fixes in the wifi driver in the last days. i will release a new firmware today. you maybe try it again. i have also some pending patches in my sourcecode which are untested under certain situations. please contact me on my email address and i can send you a testfirmware. i did alot of tests on a 30km link in the last week

Navigation

Jump to: