AirPort Extreme 2013 possible? (Broadcom CPU & Radios)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
FrancoisC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:43    Post subject: AirPort Extreme 2013 possible? (Broadcom CPU & Radios) Reply with quote
Hi all, recently I got myself the new AirPort Extreme 2013 (802.11AC) and according to teardowns, it use broadcom radios & CPU, very similar to the newest generation (AC68U & al).

I do know previous version were no go because of the chips used, but now that it changed I was wondering if DDWRT would be possible on it?

Here is some info according to ifixit:

-Broadcom BCM53019 router SOC with gigabit switch for CPU

-2 x Broadcom BCM4360KLMG (1 for 2.4Ghz and 1 for 5Ghz radios)

-512MB RAM Very Happy Shocked

-32MB Flash

-Internal SATA + HDD for the Time Capsule model, which is exactly the same as the AirPort Extreme for everything except that.

-No idea as for if it could be used, but there is also a 3.3v battery onboard that maybe could make the router keeps track of time in case of no power? No clue on that one Laughing

More: http://goo.gl/TdzGLt (Info on CPU & radio on 2nd page)
Sponsor
XenonKilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crapple really? Pretty sure nobody wants to be bothered with hacking Crapple routers. Bad enough having to deal with all the bullshit that surrounds Jailbreaking an iDevice. Not really trying to be bothered with Jailbreaking a Crapple router too. Next thing you know I'll have to save SHSH blobs for my router too Rolling Eyes

Besides, I thought Crapple users bought Crapple products because they wanted simple shit that is simple to use? DD-WRT is a little too complex for simple Crapple users.

Take that toy back and get you a real router Wink
FrancoisC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
My previous WRT610Nv2 modded to E3000 with CFE update & running DD-WRT (If you can find the original thread, you'll see I helped with this Wink ) bit the dust and I decided to try my hands with AC routers.

I tried 2 or three different model, Cisco and Asus mainly, and had nothing but problems. Speed slowing way down, router rebooting, ethernet port dying on the AC66U (read the review on newegg, a lot of people experience that) you name it!

One of my friend suggested the new AirPort Extreme that's he's been using, and honestly, except for the fact that I can't use DDWRT on it, it's the best router I ever had.

Excellent range, antenna is perfectly omnidirectional according to reviews (I get better signal than with the AC66U), excellent WAN-->Lan & vice versa performance, no slow down, NAT-PMP (better, safer version of UPnP), beam forming, etc!

I know a lot of people that when they hear Apple they react like you, but this router is really a good piece of work. You add the possibility of running DD-WRT on it and it get better. Price is not bad either compared to other AC.

Also, from what I read online, the "OS" on this thing is based on VxWorks, nothing to do with iOS and SHSH and what not. Very Happy

Edit: Also, I'm not an Apple fanboy, I'm a technology fanboy, it's all toys to me Wink
XenonKilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
FrancoisC wrote:
My previous WRT610Nv2 modded to E3000 with CFE update & running DD-WRT (If you can find the original thread, you'll see I helped with this Wink ) bit the dust and I decided to try my hands with AC routers.

I tried 2 or three different model, Cisco and Asus mainly, and had nothing but problems. Speed slowing way down, router rebooting, ethernet port dying on the AC66U (read the review on newegg, a lot of people experience that) you name it!

One of my friend suggested the new AirPort Extreme that's he's been using, and honestly, except for the fact that I can't use DDWRT on it, it's the best router I ever had.

Excellent range, antenna is perfectly omnidirectional according to reviews (I get better signal than with the AC66U), excellent WAN-->Lan & vice versa performance, no slow down, NAT-PMP (better, safer version of UPnP), beam forming, etc!

I know a lot of people that when they hear Apple they react like you, but this router is really a good piece of work. You add the possibility of running DD-WRT on it and it get better. Price is not bad either compared to other AC.

Also, from what I read online, the "OS" on this thing is based on VxWorks, nothing to do with iOS and SHSH and what not. Very Happy

Edit: Also, I'm not an Apple fanboy, I'm a technology fanboy, it's all toys to me Wink

I hear ya man, I'm just giving you a hard time just as I do all Crapple users.

Good hardware isn't shit without kick ass firmware to run it. Same reason a Jailbroken iDevice > Stock iDevice.

Funny because I too was running the WRT610N v2 for about 3 years which worked great I might add. I just wanted to catch up on new hardware but all the newer routers just seemed like garbage. Especially all the newer Linksys/Cisco crap. Then I ran across the AC66U and seen what amazing hardware it boasted. Then I checked for DD-WRT support which was available, then I was SOLD! Laughing

Like I said before though, that AP Extreme might have great hardware but without amazing firmware like DD-WRT it's really just a simple toy. Confused

What FW were you running on your AC66U? I have an AC66U as well running the Kong build 22490 and it's absolutely amazing. I don't have any issues whatsoever. Also what HW Rev did you have? I believe I recall seeing some issues with older HW Revisions.

You also might wanna check out that new RT-AC68U. I picked one up this week but I'm still holding off on using it until the DD-WRT matures on it a just a little bit more. Cool
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read my reply for another Apple router

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=768321

Navigation

Jump to: