missing 5.0 ghz band

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
neas15us
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 19:29    Post subject: missing 5.0 ghz band Reply with quote
hi guys i have a e3000 i tried to upgrade it with the brainslayer 3.x kernal firmware and when i did i discovered that not only was 5ghz band missing but it was replaced with a second 2.4ghz band can someone tell me why

and my settings from the 2.6 kernal werent rolled over to the 3.x however it was still saved when i rolled it back to the previous stable build

the firmware i downloaded was: dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e3000.bin
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 20:11    Post subject: Re: missing 5.0 ghz band Reply with quote
neas15us wrote:
hi guys i have a e3000 i tried to upgrade it with the brainslayer 3.x kernal firmware and when i did i discovered that not only was 5ghz band missing but it was replaced with a second 2.4ghz band can someone tell me why

and my settings from the 2.6 kernal werent rolled over to the 3.x however it was still saved when i rolled it back to the previous stable build

the firmware i downloaded was: dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e3000.bin

You can't roll back from K3 without haveing messed up settings, the reason for this is because K3 will upgrade nvram space from 32k/60k to 64k for every supported unit.

Therefore switching from K26 to K3 and back usually requires a hard reset in order to clean and init nvram vars. What you can do is, create a backup of you K26 settings, then upgrade to K3 and if you downgrade again, clear nvram and then restore your previously saved settings.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
i had no problem rolling back im guessing that its because the nvram never cleared the settings when i upgraded to k3x
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by LOM on Thu Oct 17, 2013 15:12; edited 1 time in total
jackykoning
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 16:30    Post subject: Re: missing 5.0 ghz band Reply with quote
neas15us wrote:
hi guys I have a e3000 I tried to upgrade it with the brainslayer 3.x kernal firmware and when I did I discovered that not only was 5ghz band missing but it was replaced with a second 2.4ghz band can someone tell me why

sounds an awful lot like what my Asus RT-AC56U has. it must be a kernel problem then.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:20    Post subject: Re: missing 5.0 ghz band Reply with quote
neas15us wrote:

Has anything happened on this issue? It appears 22118 on the E3000 seems to mis-recognized it as a WRT54G/L. In the process it doesn't see the radios properly. It also doesn't see the wired ethernet ports properly, as the MAC gets set to 00:00:00:00:00:02

Me, I'm just after using an E3000 with a Verizon UML290 4G cellular data USB dongle. I really don't need much else on the router, so a 'less than mega' build would be great.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

E3000 has originally 32KB nvram, the K3.x builds will create a 64KB nvram separated from your old 32KB and your old 32KB nvram will be copied over to the new 64KB nvram.

isnt it 60? i mean i had to flash builds that had nv60k in the name.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 14:01    Post subject: Re: missing 5.0 ghz band Reply with quote
wkearney99 wrote:

It also doesn't see the wired ethernet ports properly, as the MAC gets set to 00:00:00:00:00:02

can you fix this by using the

nvram set et0macaddr=your mac address

in Startup under administration/commands/

it;s something we had to do on the Asus RT-N16 as well when moving to the 3.x Kernel build.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
wkearney99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 14:59    Post subject: Re: missing 5.0 ghz band Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
wkearney99 wrote:

It also doesn't see the wired ethernet ports properly, as the MAC gets set to 00:00:00:00:00:02

can you fix this by using the

nvram set et0macaddr=your mac address

in Startup under administration/commands/

it;s something we had to do on the Asus RT-N16 as well when moving to the 3.x Kernel build.

Right, so that might work for the MAC, but what about the mis-recognition of it as a WRT54G and the resulting radio issues?

My goal remains, just use this as a dual-channel gateway router with a USB cell modem as the WAN connection. Everything else is really cool and I love the features, I just don't need everything else for this particular situation.

I'd gladly use any build that would get me to having it do what I'm after. 22118 did do the cell part but lost the wired connection and the dual radios in the process.

Forgive me for poking around in the dark here. I've done quite a lot of searching through the messages here (currently and over many years past) and I'm really trying to keep it all straight. It's difficult to distill everything down into useful steps, and not brick the router in the process. There's only 'so much' free time I've got to wrestle with this, so I try to avoid endless attempts of reloading/reflashing/rebooting.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
The misrecognition is due to missing nvram variables, they may have been lost when you did a hard reset before loading the 3.x build.

You should be able to fix this from telnet cmd line:

nvram set boardtype = 0x04cf
nvram set boot_hw_model = E300
nvram commit
reboot

(yes E300, not E3000)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, setting and rebooting now...

Hmmm, things got different, not necessarily better. But I do feel like there's progress.

Trouble is, now my wired ports don't even light up at all.

Fortunately I can still connect via WiFi. But at least status shows the right hardware, and both radios show up with the expected menu options.

Curiously the LED above the center button is lit up yellow.

Just no wired connections. I tried Admin->Factory Defaults and that didn't revive them. What's next? I want to tread carefully here, of course, to avoid bricking or otherwise making the situation worse...
wkearney99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Additional progress, I plugged in the Verizon UML290 4G dongle and configured the WAN to use Mobile Broadband. It seems to work! That is, I can make web connections through it, so Yay! on that front.

Now to just get the wired ports live again...
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're still working from a corrupted base config and you're just fixing parts of it

You really should flash back to a K2.6 ver and do a full reset

Then flash back to K3.x and re-configure fresh - don't reload old config

Lot of work sometimes but better to know you have a good fresh working config

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
did you use the nvram command to fix the mac addresses?

the lack of lights might just be a cosmetic issue. did you plug a computer into the wired ports but got no connection?

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
wkearney99 wrote:
Ok, setting and rebooting now...

Hmmm, things got different, not necessarily better. But I do feel like there's progress.

Trouble is, now my wired ports don't even light up at all.

Fortunately I can still connect via WiFi. But at least status shows the right hardware, and both radios show up with the expected menu options.

Curiously the LED above the center button is lit up yellow.

Just no wired connections. I tried Admin->Factory Defaults and that didn't revive them. What's next? I want to tread carefully here, of course, to avoid bricking or otherwise making the situation worse...

It can be fixed but it is maybe better if you flash Linksys OEM firmware in the dd-wrt upgrade gui and after booting OEM do a hard reset.
Then flash dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e3000.bin,
this should restore all nvram variables

You can try:

nvram_set wan_ifname = vlan2
nvram_set vlan2hwname = et0
nvram_set pci/1/1/ledbh2 = 8
nvram_set sb/1/ledbh1 = 8
nvram_setvlan1ports = "4 3 2 1 8*"
nvram commit
reboot

but I fear that there may be other router specific nvram variables which are wrong..

Navigation

Jump to: