PSA: DO NOT Disable WMM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
Lightsword
DD-WRT User


Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:55    Post subject: PSA: DO NOT Disable WMM Reply with quote
I have noticed a number of people making this mistake, you should never disable WMM on any device that supports anything newer than Wireless G. Per the Wireless N and Wireless AC spec WMM is a mandatory protocol and will result in reversion to legacy Wireless G speeds if disabled.
Sponsor
jackykoning
DD-WRT User


Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 242
Location: The Nederlands

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
people will not believe you without prove.
I can also remember <Kong> telling us to disable it because it causes some weird issues.

So my suggestion: post prove.

_________________
Hi Smile
2x Netgear R7800
Lightsword
DD-WRT User


Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
jackykoning wrote:
people will not believe you without prove.
I can also remember <Kong> telling us to disable it because it causes some weird issues.

So my suggestion: post prove.

First off, I would say to Google it, its been pretty extensively tested and confirmed by manufacturers. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm
Unless you have a G or below device you simply should NEVER disable WMM.
jackykoning
DD-WRT User


Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 242
Location: The Nederlands

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
haha googled it found this.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2398063?start=30&tstart=0
http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/QoS-and-WMM-settings-slow-internet-down-when-enabled/td-p/491854
http://www.myopenrouter.com/forum/thread/42085/Problems-With-Slow-Wireless-Speeds-Disabling-WMM-Is-One-Fix/

_________________
Hi Smile
2x Netgear R7800
Lightsword
DD-WRT User


Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
jackykoning wrote:
haha googled it found this.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2398063?start=30&tstart=0
http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/QoS-and-WMM-settings-slow-internet-down-when-enabled/td-p/491854
http://www.myopenrouter.com/forum/thread/42085/Problems-With-Slow-Wireless-Speeds-Disabling-WMM-Is-One-Fix/

If disabling WMM makes your internet faster you probably have some other issues such as this http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=773658
buddee
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 7401
Location: Little Rock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ Lightsword: Just can't miss an opportunity to keep posting that link, can you?

I'd still say even with that thread proof is positive, as i said in another thread regarding this matter. People pasting those lines into their router and saying 'it works!' isn't enough here, posting proof of that fix actually working may be more convincing...

Which is probably why it hasn't gotten more discussion than it has, i'd be hard pressed to look into that thread and see someone with a G router posting that code into their unit and saying it works when G doesn't have to use WMM at all.

And as far as regarding your trac ticket is concerned, isn't it comcast with the problem? Why not file a complaint to comcast regarding your service? Because internally, dd-wrt doesn't have the problem.

_________________
Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Lightsword
DD-WRT User


Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
@ Lightsword: Just can't miss an opportunity to keep posting that link, can you?

I'd still say even with that thread proof is positive, as i said in another thread regarding this matter. People pasting those lines into their router and saying 'it works!' isn't enough here, posting proof of that fix actually working may be more convincing...

Which is probably why it hasn't gotten more discussion than it has, i'd be hard pressed to look into that thread and see someone with a G router posting that code into their unit and saying it works when G doesn't have to use WMM at all.

And as far as regarding your trac ticket is concerned, isn't it comcast with the problem? Why not file a complaint to comcast regarding your service? Because internally, dd-wrt doesn't have the problem.

Its kind of and issue with both Comcast and broadcom-wl drivers. I say this because broadcom did in fact fix the issue in stock firmware updates on certain routers. I am not entirely sure which dd-wrt builds are affected but it appears a good deal of them are. More info on it here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28669599-Speed-PSA-Slow-WiFi-on-Comcast-May-be-Comcasts-Fault with WMM testing. I have filed complaints with Comcast(which is of course taking their time with it) however the wl driver is still handling DSCP poorly as far as I'm concerned.
jackykoning
DD-WRT User


Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 242
Location: The Nederlands

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
without



with


lets just say you are wrong and stop talking about it .

_________________
Hi Smile
2x Netgear R7800
Lightsword
DD-WRT User


Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
jackykoning wrote:
without



with


lets just say you are wrong and stop talking about it .

It's not that it necessarily can't work(your device can be one that just outright ignores official wifi specs) but then you have a whole lot of other problems that can come it to play since often wifi cards will then not connect if they enforce WMM spec and your access point does not have it enabled ex. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3727 . Another possibility is that the setting isn't actually disabling WMM but is simply making some sort of QoS adjustment or just doing nothing.
McKoon
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 22 Sep 2015
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any chance, that radio buttons for WMM Support are linked to the actual setting the wrong way --> disabled is in fact enabled, and vice versa.

With WMM Support enabled, I couldn't connect to my router neither with ipad air 1, nor Galaxy S6.
With WMM Support disabled, both can finally connect.


Router: Tp-Link TL WR842ND, ver 2.1
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r27805 std (09/11/15)
awtas
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 27 Apr 2014
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
McKoon wrote:

With WMM Support enabled, I couldn't connect to my router neither with ipad air 1, nor Galaxy S6.
With WMM Support disabled, both can finally connect.


I have the opposite.
Router Model Netgear R6300V2
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/20/14) std - build 25408
Disabled WMM Support on the router and could not connect to the wireless.
Can only connect with WMM Support enabled on the router (via advanced settings)
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum