E3000 transmit power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:24    Post subject: E3000 transmit power Reply with quote
Hi guys,

i am running build 14929 on my E3000. for the past 2 years, i've been using wl0 only and now i decided i want to turn on wl1. i have wl0 at default transmit power (71mW), the default for wl1 is also 71mW which i kept unchanged. Now when both radio's are on, the router stops broadcasting wl0 after sometime and then devices cannot connect to wl1.

after many hard resets and a re-flash, i could only solve it by keeping wl0 at 71mW and reducing wl1 to 28mW.

going through the device specs, E3000 should be capable of up to 20dBm on each interface. is it a power supply issue? or a dd-wrt build issue?
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
IMO.. 15962 is the best build to date for the e3000.

I don't think your problem is a build issue though.

I run all my E3000's at 56mw (both radios)

so.. try 15962 and see how it does. If you still have the same problem lower the tx power and check the power supply.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
turn the TX power down to 50.

i had one router that ran at 71 as default and it only lasted a few months. got a second router and set the TX power down to 50. have not had any issues since then.

and i would suggest 19519. should support wl1 (5ghz right?).
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:

i had one router that ran at 71 as default and it only lasted a few months. got a second router and set the TX power down to 50. have not had any issues since then.

if you do not know, why are you making the suggestion?

stock linksys firmware sets tx to 84. dd-wrt turns it down to 71 by default.

why is 50mW better than 56mW?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:

1. if you do not know, why are you making the suggestion?

2. stock linksys firmware sets tx to 84. dd-wrt turns it down to 71 by default.

3. why is 50mW better than 56mW?

1. i should have asked "your looking to use 5ghz signal right?" or something similar. forgive me for not asking it right.

2. are you sure? because when i looked at the spec sheets, they said it ran at 17dbm. or at least between 16-18 dbm (40-64 mW according to this sheet here)

3. because running the tx power at 71 mW killed the WRT150n i once had. would not even boot right anymore. i noticed that i had the same issues with the wrt300n so i tuned it down to 50 mW AFTER looking at the spec sheet. has been working fine since. same for my E3000.
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the replies.

i have been running build 15962 and the only reason i downgraded to 14929 was to check if it's going to solve my problem but it did not. i believe it is safe to say the E3000 cannot run two radio's at 71mW. if thats the case and somebody can confirm, i wish dd-wrt transmit power defaults are lowered to save routers and not cause problems to users.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
nolimitz wrote:
thanks for the replies.

i have been running build 15962 and the only reason i downgraded to 14929 was to check if it's going to solve my problem but it did not. i believe it is safe to say the E3000 cannot run two radio's at 71mW. if thats the case and somebody can confirm, i wish dd-wrt transmit power defaults are lowered to save routers and not cause problems to users.

running 71mW on both radios are not causing the problem or is not the "root cause". There are other problems with the router or power supply.

read through and search the forum.. You will find many users running at max tx ((251) which is not recommended) and they claim they have no problems.

I lowered mine when I was looking at other issues once I started filling my house up with ap's, client bridges and a whole host of other wireless equipment.

Lowering my tx power actually improved the signal quality.

The stock linksys firmware has a radio setting.. low, med, and high (if I remember correctly). Flash back to stock and run both radios on high.. see what happens.

Check this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54242

Member Radioman193 is a bit eccentric but he is also an amateur radio operator. You need to know quite a bit about this stuff to get your license.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
i went through couple of pages in the thread you linked to and its quite interesting, the power supply mod might be needed. let me see how good will the router work at 71mW + 28 mW and then i can decide, so far it is working beautifully (since yesterday).

if thats really true, it strikes me how a manufacturer provides a power supply that cannot provide enough power to a device, E3000 is not a cheap home router, they should've provided a proper power supply!

thanks barryware!
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
one of the points made in the thread, is that maxing out the tx will not "fry" the router. The components are capable of much more than is allowed by the firmware (or fcc).

All of my in service equipment is running with 5A or 3A power supplies.

if it is claimed that increasing the tx of a router fried it, it is a coincidence and would have happened anyway.

For over a year, I was letting one of my neighbors peg off my internet. I had him set up with a router configured as a repeater bridge and I was running an AP dedicated to serving his repeater. Both my AP and his repeater were set a 251mw, ran 24/7 for well over a year. He was 4 doors down and it was a strong stable connection. He now has his own internet service and his router has been reconfigured as a regular router / gateway and is still ticking.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
one of the points made in the thread, is that maxing out the tx will not "fry" the router. The components are capable of much more than is allowed by the firmware (or fcc).

All of my in service equipment is running with 5A or 3A power supplies.

if it is claimed that increasing the tx of a router fried it, it is a coincidence and would have happened anyway.

For over a year, I was letting one of my neighbors peg off my internet. I had him set up with a router configured as a repeater bridge and I was running an AP dedicated to serving his repeater. Both my AP and his repeater were set a 251mw, ran 24/7 for well over a year. He was 4 doors down and it was a strong stable connection. He now has his own internet service and his router has been reconfigured as a regular router / gateway and is still ticking.

higher tx power won't fry a router, at least dd-wrt defaults which i have two routers running, WRT160N has been running at 71mW for over 3 years and E3000 at 71mW for 2 years, i think i am going to get a 5A power supply to test.

a question on a different issue, the repeater bridge config, were both routers running dd-wrt? atheros or broadcom?

i am still struggling to get a stable internet connection on a repeater/repeater bridge config using WRT160N (wireless is connected but no internet sometimes)
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
nolimitz wrote:
a question on a different issue, the repeater bridge config, were both routers running dd-wrt? atheros or broadcom?

Both routers were (are still), running dd-wrt 15962. Both routers are broadcom.. wrt54g V3 & a V3.1

I should also mention both routers are fitted with +7 dbi antennas.

Increasing the tx power isn't always a good thing.. My main AP is an E3000 (610 convert) and both radios are running at 56mW.

1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.26 KB
 Viewed:  13935 Time(s)

1.jpg

3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.25 KB
 Viewed:  13935 Time(s)

3.jpg

2.jpg
 Description: