Why are web pages hard coded in HTTPD ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
haydude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:03    Post subject: Why are web pages hard coded in HTTPD ? Reply with quote
From version v23 SP1 to v23 SP3 onwards there is a huge difference in the httpd package and executable.

In SP3 onwards several html pages are hardcoded in an html.c component, that getting linked with httpd makes the executable grow from only 300K to more than 1 Megabyte.

I reckon that this is overkill in that it takes away a lot of valuable memory mostly from those routers that do not have plenty to play with.

I have tried to think of the possible advantages, the only one could be a gain in response time from the admin console, however this would not justify the waste of memory because the admin console is supposed to be used only occasionally when configuration changes are required. In a normal environment in fact the admin console should get almost forgotten once the router is configured.

The encoded html also makes almost impossible to bring any modification/improvement to the firmware.

Please, can we have this brought back to a simple httpd server without any embedded html page?

HD
Sponsor
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I second that, it's much easier for us to add a page to the webserver (the old fashioned way) without having to compile it all.

Donater
confused_user
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simple answer. To prevent such users like you and others to modify the firmware and sell it as your own.

If you like to modify the DD-WRT firmware you have to recompile it or pay Sebastian to do it for you.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
confused_user wrote:
Simple answer. To prevent such users like you and others to modify the firmware and sell it as your own.

If you like to modify the DD-WRT firmware you have to recompile it or pay Sebastian to do it for you.

Well, as you might not know, I've donated twice already and will donate every year... I've also contributed to the project so...
Even if you want you can still compile it yourself THEN you can sell it as your own.

But by modifying the asp files and placing them on a MMC card to, for example, adding a page to control ventrilo server running on the router, you are not selling it. But modifying to fit your own needs...

So with your reply your saying that if you modify something you're immediately selling it? Come on. It used to work just by changing the path of the www-folder and copying the files to another folder on the router or MMC card, it has even been explained in the wiki, so your allowed to do that.

Donater
confused_user
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyberde wrote:
Even if you want you can still compile it yourself THEN you can sell it as your own.
I would say that 98% of the DD-WRT users don't have the knowladge and the time to compile DD-WRT from source, including me.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes that's true, but most of those users won't be reselling DD-WRT to other customers, since they can't build an image to flash "their customers" routers with.
In that case it wouldn't matter if the asp files we're easy to edit.

Donater
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simple reason: code is more compressed to fit in micro too.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thnx eko for your reply, too bad it isn't that easy anymore to edit the pages Razz

Donater
haydude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
confused_user wrote:

Nobody can sell this firmware because it is under the GPL, if it were under the LGPL it could be modified and sold by anyone without having to release the source.

The GPL requires explicitly that any modification to the original code have to be distributed with their source code. That is why Linksys, in compliance with the GPL has released openWRT.

HD
trey504
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think its better ... he made it very modular so its easy to add an remove shit from the gui by just adding one #. People were selling it on ebay for a long time and I think it was a good idea to do what he did. I don't see anymore sites selling "jo blows firmware to turn a $60 router into a $600 router". The code is a fucking mess, but once you figure out how it works it all makes sense. I just wish he would post the snapshots i hate grabbing the svn its so big
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
trey504 wrote:
People were selling it on ebay for a long time and I think it was a good idea to do what he did.

You've got a point there, it are always those asses who ruin it for others...

Donater
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
haydude wrote:
confused_user wrote:

Nobody can sell this firmware because it is under the GPL, if it were under the LGPL it could be modified and sold by anyone without having to release the source.

The GPL requires explicitly that any modification to the original code have to be distributed with their source code. That is why Linksys, in compliance with the GPL has released openWRT.

HD

thats not true. you can sell firmwares under gpl, but you must always offer the sourcecode

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
trey504 wrote:
I think its better ... he made it very modular so its easy to add an remove shit from the gui by just adding one #. People were selling it on ebay for a long time and I think it was a good idea to do what he did. I don't see anymore sites selling "jo blows firmware to turn a $60 router into a $600 router". The code is a fucking mess, but once you figure out how it works it all makes sense. I just wish he would post the snapshots i hate grabbing the svn its so big

i post snapshots on request. i just dont have enough space right now todo this automaticly like some months ago. but a new bigger dd-wrt.com server is already on the way

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
on this subject you made the front page of digg, seems like a very negative article.
whatever, i still prefer dd-wrt.
http://digg.com/linux_unix
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
kelpdip wrote:
on this subject you made the front page of digg, seems like a very negative article.
whatever, i still prefer dd-wrt.
http://digg.com/linux_unix

Nice, that article is already so old and written by db90h.

But then again, this might have a negative effect on dd-wrt since somebody dug up this article. As you can already read in those replies.

Donater
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: