Bricked Linksys E1000 v2.1 (recovery help)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
julzk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:49    Post subject: Bricked Linksys E1000 v2.1 (recovery help) Reply with quote
Hey all.. So I bricked my Linksys E1000 v2.1 router Smile

I purchased from eBay some USB to Serial TTL cables / headers from China, gonna take some time to get to me here in Aus though. So Today I went to the hardware store, got me a fine tipped soldering iron and some wire. Went to an electrical store and bought me some 2.54mm breakable single row headers. I also found at home in a box of old cables a CA-42 Nokia data cable. It's the cheap made cable with only 3 wires (Orange = GND, Blue = Rx, Red = Tx).

I found this image on the DD-WRT wiki that shows pin layouts:

There are 5 serial holes on the board, 4 are only being used:

1 - VCC (3.3v)
2 - RX
3 - TX
4 - Not Used
5 - GND

Here is another image of the serial port holes on the board:

Now my questions are, the CA-42 cable I have has 3 cables.. So RX / TX / GND cables covered..

What about VCC (3.3v) cable, where does this come in from?

Is it my understanding that the VCC cable is not required as the CA-42 usb to uart chip (near the usb plug itself) is transmitting enough power down through the TX/RX cables through a regulated rate of 3.3v?

I assume power will be drawn to the device through the conventional power supply for the router, but breaking out of the boot cycle through the serial terminal window (ctrl-c), or have I got this totally wrong?

And finally with an Ethernet cable plugged into the device, I'll be able to xfer the firmware back over to re-flash the device.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try it and see whether your cable works with no vcc. It should. See the serial recovery wiki for more information.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
c1355054
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try it? Did it work?

I’m trying to fix my E1000 2.1 but am getting absolutely nothing in PuTTY. Some information on what I should be seeing from someone who has successfully done it would be great.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
See the serial recovery wiki for more information.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
c1355054
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Murrkf wrote:

Been there, done that, but I still get absolutely nothing; PuTTY just sits there blank and the router just sits there with all but the WPS LED on and dim.

The serial-recovery wiki (and even the E1000 page) might not address this specific dim-LED issue.

I’m trying to find out if anyone has managed to recover specifically from the dim-LED problem.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Murrkf wrote:

troubleshooting

kiamo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was doing something similar tonight. Finally got putty giving me the output by disregarding VCC (router power is enough, and crossed RX-TX as apposed to rx-rx and tx-tx.

Give it a whirl. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: