opkg & transmission-daemon @ startup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
thecrater
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 23:39    Post subject: opkg & transmission-daemon @ startup Reply with quote
Hi all,
I followed the following guide and managed to get optware set up on my TP-Link WDR3600

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86912

I've also managed to install transmission-daemon transmission-cli transmission-web transmission-remote

however, transmission-daemon only works when I ssh into my router and run the following commands

Code:
export TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME='/opt/usr/share/transmission/web/'
transmission-daemon

Everything works perfectly

What I would like to do is get this to run at startup. I added the above commands (export and transmission-daemon) but it does not seem to work. I changed it to

Code:
/opt/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g /tmp/root/.config/transmission-daemon

and still nothing happens at startup!!!!

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

I used the guide below
http://g300nh.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/bittorrent-client-transmission-on-dd.html

and followed the following steps to make it run as a service at startup to no avail.

Quote:
Run it as service
To do so, add the following line to /mnt/root/.profile

Then create the startup script /opt/etc/init.d/transmission(delete all previous contents if its not empty)

source /mnt/root/.profile
killall transmission-daemon
sleep 2
transmission-daemon -g /mnt/root/.config/transmission-daemon/

Set it to run as service:
chmod a+x /opt/etc/init.d/transmission
ln -s /opt/etc/init.d/transmission /opt/etc/init.d/S60transmission

Nothing seems to work. any ideas?
Sponsor
c1355054
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
lucky you. I was banging my head with same problem for last week and I have found a solution.

copy settings folder "/tmp/root/.config/transmission-daemon" to somewhere else like "/opt/transmission-daemon".

now your startup script should be
"/opt/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g /opt/transmission-daemon"

This is because ".config" folder is hidden and all sub-folder inside are not readable somehow. I am not linux expert so dont know why is it like that!

Also, dont forget to add 9091 port to your firewall list if you gonna monitor torrents from outside of your network.
thecrater
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat off to you good sir. Worked perfectly. Much obliged Smile
paleee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
c1355054 wrote:
Man, you're A-W-E-S-O-M-E! I was trying to make transmission to start automatically, I spent 5 hours and nothing, but with yout trick, it's working. Unbelievable!! Very Happy Thank you!!
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 16:19    Post subject: New explanation: Many ways to do the same Reply with quote
Good workaround, c1355054!

Actually, there are many ways to do the same thing. As long as /tmp/ is "virtual", we have to consider it is pointing to somewhere "physical". So, if we go through the mounted partition (e.g. "/mnt/sda1") we would wind up finding the same files that are found on /tmp/. Hence, a second fix would be:

Code:

/opt/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/sda1/root/.config/transmission-daemon/

Or simply:

Code:

transmission-daemon -g /mnt/sda1/root/.config/transmission-daemon/

So, accordingly above, there would be no need to copy any files.

Best Regards, Marcelo.
c1355054
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 21:01    Post subject: Re: New explanation: Many ways to do the same Reply with quote
msantos2007 wrote:

Actually, there are many ways to do the same thing. As long as /tmp/ is "virtual", we have to consider it is pointing to somewhere "physical". So, if we go through the mounted partition (e.g. "/mnt/sda1") we would wind up finding the same files that are found on /tmp/. Hence, a second fix would be:

Code:

Or simply:

Code:

Best Regards, Marcelo.

I havent tested this, but it wont work.
anything inside ".config" folder is unreadable. try it.
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 14:01    Post subject: Re: New explanation: Many ways to do the same Reply with quote
c1355054 wrote:
msantos2007 wrote:

Code:

Or simply:

Code:

Best Regards, Marcelo.

I havent tested this, but it wont work.
anything inside ".config" folder is unreadable. try it.

I just posted an alternative code, you don't have to follow it. Actually, is was extracted from my router and it's working (build 22118). Maybe, due to many adjustments I made from the original instructions, I got it to work without notice that might be an issue.

The thing is, I'm still testing a How-to for Transmission I wrote and I'll post it as soon as I can.
c1355054
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:00    Post subject: Re: New explanation: Many ways to do the same Reply with quote
msantos2007 wrote:

I just posted an alternative code, you don't have to follow it. Actually, is was extracted from my router and it's working (build 22118). Maybe, due to many adjustments I made from the original instructions, I got it to work without notice that might be an issue.

The thing is, I'm still testing a How-to for Transmission I wrote and I'll post it as soon as I can.

That would be great for people looking for a good guide to setup transmission! However it would be more helpful if you post each command with clarification so people can understand which command is doing what?
also please keep in mind that decault configuration location of transmission is not working as stated above ( atleast it didnt work for 3 guys posted above).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: