Cisco E4200 and VLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
terryhd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 23:04    Post subject: Cisco E4200 and VLAN Reply with quote
I have a Version 1 ddwrt loaded Cisco E4200 that I am using to connect to internet. I want to use VLANS to separate my connected traffic.
I have some separate Cisco 1602 Dual Band access points. In these AP's I can configure them to tag traffic that associates to SSID "openandfree" to be VLAN 10 and then tell it to tag traffic that associates to SSID "private" to be tagged to VLAN 20. I can then take output of that AP on a trunk port and get it to the Cisco DDWRT loaded E4200.
What I want to do is to have both of the vlans to be able to get the internet via the E4200's WAN port but not see each other. I see on forum here a few solutions to put variety of vlans into different ports on e4200 but nothing that does it as one input port containing multiple vlans. How do I do that?
thanks
Terry
Sponsor
Malitiacurt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've used the vlan trunking on the E4200 and it worked fine.

You enable and tag the 2 (or more) vlans on the same LAN port (vlan trunking) that goes to your AP.

Do the same thing for another LAN port if you have another AP you want multiple vlan's on.

Make sure to set the correct VID's. I'm not sure about DD-WRT but under Tomato you have to use vlan tags in multiples of 16.
terryhd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for reply and I understand how to do it on switch port (make it a trunk) and how to do on a full Cisco router. My question is if I plug my trunk configured switch port out of switch to E4200 to say port 1 it will have two vlans on it. How do I tell the E4200 with DDWRT to route/nat that connection to internet out its WAN link?
thanks
Terry
Malitiacurt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Create bridge, add vlan to bridge, add DHCP server, add some rules to iptable.

Same as creating multiple wireless networks, just skip the wireless part and move on to the stuff I mentioned.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since you are using it to add WAP's you might as well do the WLAN part as well so that the E4200 broadcasts both.

For the VLAN part just use the VLAN page to enable tagging on whichever port you want to use as a trunk, and then check all the VLAN's you want on the trunk port. Then add the new VLAN to br1 from the guide.

You will need to adjust your VLAN ID's because only 1-15 are supported unless you get some modified kernel modules that aren't worth bothering with unless you absolutely must.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: