How I Got the Asus RT-N66u to load and Finaly work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:25    Post subject: How I Got the Asus RT-N66u to load and Finaly work. Reply with quote
***********UPDATE ----June 22 2013********

-------Experimental build that works with all CFE versions--

Brain Slayer has released an experimental version ( K3x )that works with all versions of CFE, And I have tested this with bootloader CFE 1.0.1.3
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/broadcom_K3X-EXPERIMENTAL/

- Set your NIC card to static > IP 192.168.1.12, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default gateway192.168.1.1

NOTE: Use IE ( Do not use any other for this operation)

To know what bootloader you have just flash first with any updated Merlins version through the stock GUI interface.

Then Clear your nvram.

After you reboot goto tools>system if you wish to check your version of CFE.

Clear your nvram the reboot.

Now just go once again through the GUI interface and flash with the above K3X version for asus rt_n66u ( mega or big) then reboot.

Clear your Nvram and reboot.

You should now see the dd-wrt Gui.

--------------------------------------------------Old instructions ---------------------------
Well after almost a week for several hours a night I finally was able to load ddwrt on my rt-n66u.
I bricked my previous rt-n66u (My Error for loading the wrong version) so I RMA it and received another one.
This one for some reason was more difficult and I had to follow the EXACT procedure or it will NOT WORK.
I followed the instructions belows exactly and have posted more info on the router's CFE version , Asus firmware version, and or course the ddwrt firmware used. Following it exactly and it should work.
How to know what version of CFE you have:
To know what version of CFE you have you can flash it with a recent Merlin build and then goto Tools> system information or you can telnet or ssh into your router as user "admin" at 192.168.1.1, and issue the commands at a shell prompt.
# strings /dev/mtd0ro | grep bl_version
--------Flashing Instructions -----------
Asus RT-N66U Revision B1
F/W 3.0.0.4.220
CFE version 1.0.1.2 ( non 64k version )

I used the following.
FW_RT_N66U_B1_3004354 ( Usus Firmware - Beta)
dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx
dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_big_RT-N66U.trx
Link are Here: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U
Browser IE
NOTE: DO NOT USE Firefox or Crome or any other browser.
NOTE: Turn off all other non essential task such as Firewalls, Anti-Virus software, Spyware detection, system guards , etc...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method:
Follow these steps carefully and you should have no issue’s completing this.
- Set your NIC card to static > IP 192.168.1.12, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default gateway192.168.1.1
- Put router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button while powering up the router, wait until the power led is blinking slowly, then release the reset button.
- Access the router’s built in recovery mode by issuing 192.168.1.1 in browser field.
- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_mini build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes.
- Put router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button while powering up the router, wait until the power led is blinking slowly, then release the reset button.

- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_big build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes
- Select Reset NVRAM defaults when it completes (should be quick), in the browser field, type in http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit. When done press enter. When complete select reboot and wait 5-10 minutes for the router to reboot and start building its layers.
- Now you should be able to access via web gui 192.168.1.1 and it should be DD-WRT.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: If you previously tried other methods and your routers is in a non working mode then reload the asus firmware that I mentioned above and then clear your SVRAM and re-try with this method.
-------------How to get back into recovery mode when router stops responding.------------------
Below is s post from a user "geokilla" which list a way of getting back into recovery mode even when the router stops responding to pings and enables you to get that needed blinking flashing power light on once again.
Method 1: To force it into recovery mode:
Set a static IP of 192.168.1.2
Press the WPS button and start up
Let the power LED flash rapidly for 5 seconds, then release WPS
Immediately press the reset button, keeping it pressed until the power LED flashes slowly
Release the reset button
Point your browser to 192.168.1.1
Method 2: To force it into recovery mode:
Hold the WPS button, power off, power on (still pressing WPS), then when I got the fast blinking light, press and hold the Reset button, then letting go of the WPS, then letting go of Reset. This allowed me to reflash a proper version of DD-WRT for the RT-N66U.
NOTE: After these steps I would recommend flashing with a version of ddwrt that you know works just to be sure that all is ok and eliminate guess work,

Last edited by webcan on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:29; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
RouterGuy2013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

Brain Slayer has released an experimental version ( K3x )that works with all versions of CFE, there are still a few unanswered questions on the exact flashing procedure but once I get them I will post them here Smile

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/broadcom_K3X-EXPERIMENTAL/

Just thought I would let you know I used this and it worked great and was super easy. Bought the router took it out of the box, went into there firmware updater and told it too use Brain Slayer's firmware, and then had to reset NVRAM and done.
Orke Ironfist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have just ordered this router RT-N66U and would like to run the new Experimental build that works with all CFE versions.

But I dont understand if I should use the old procedures to install it or how do I do it?
RouterGuy2013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Orke Ironfist wrote:
I have just ordered this router RT-N66U and would like to run the new Experimental build that works with all CFE versions.

But I dont understand if I should use the old procedures to install it or how do I do it?

Here is what I did right out of the box.

1. Clear NVRAM

2. Go to the firmware update page in ASUS firmware and click browse and pick the dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx file. Let it do the update after it is done, reboot.

3. Clear NVRAM.

4. Done

That's what worked for me.
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
RouterGuy2013 wrote:
Quote:

Brain Slayer has released an experimental version ( K3x )that works with all versions of CFE, there are still a few unanswered questions on the exact flashing procedure but once I get them I will post them here Smile

Just thought I would let you know I used this and it worked great and was super easy. Bought the router took it out of the box, went into there firmware updater and told it too use Brain Slayer's firmware, and then had to reset NVRAM and done.

Thank you very much for the info, I will update this post Smile

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
RouterGuy2013 wrote:
Orke Ironfist wrote:

1. Clear NVRAM

2. Go to the firmware update page in ASUS firmware and click browse and pick the dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx file. Let it do the update after it is done, reboot.

3. Clear NVRAM.

4. Done

1: How did you clear the nVram? using the wps button or the command in the browser?

2: Did you check what version of CFE you had before you installed.
3: Did you use the asus utility and did you use the browser stock firmware?
4: after reboot did you run the clear vram command or did you use the wps button?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
webcan wrote:
RouterGuy2013 wrote:
Orke Ironfist wrote:

1. Clear NVRAM

3. Clear NVRAM.

4. Done

1: How did you clear the nVram? using the wps button or the command in the browser?

4: after reboot did you run the clear vram command or did you use the wps button?

is there more news over this
RouterGuy2013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
webcan wrote:
RouterGuy2013 wrote:
Orke Ironfist wrote:

1. Clear NVRAM

3. Clear NVRAM.

4. Done

1. wps button
2. No
3. No to asus utility, Yes to stock firmware
4. wps button
teo1966
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
oke thanks for the info
dalesd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
WPS button: pressing the Red WPS button while power-up, will clear the NVRAM. All settings are stored in NVRAM of this ASUS router. Clearing the NVRAM is the most efficient way to reset the router to default settings.
That is: press and hold the WPS button, keep pressing the reset button while plugging in the power, then keep holding the WPS button pressed for about ten seconds, then release the WPS button. All settings have now been wiped, and default settings will be used.

I'm about to flash my stock, fresh out of the box, ASUS RT-N66U, and I'm a bit confused by this part from the Wiki. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U#Know_your_hardware_buttons

It looks like a copy/paste error, and where it says "reset" should say "WPS button". Let me know if my assessment is correct, and I'll edit the Wiki to fix it.
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
dalesd wrote:
It looks like a copy/paste error, and where it says "reset" should say "WPS button". Let me know if my assessment is correct, and I'll edit the Wiki to fix it.

No, this is correct. When powering up the router, the WPS button is used to clear NVRAM, while the reset button is used to put it into recovery mode.

When the router is already booted, then the reset button is used to clear nvram.

EDIT: Oops - I see the typo you are referring to. It should indeed be WPS, not reset.

Code:

That is: press and hold the WPS button, keep pressing the reset button...
dalesd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, RMerlin. I tried, but I can't edit the wiki.
jlehtinen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to confirm that this process worked for me as well.

- Took new RT-N66U out of the box.
- Held down WPS button, powered on, released WPS button.
- Went to 192.168.1.1/index.asp to bypass setup wizard
- Uploaded firmware: dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx
- Router loaded firmware, rebooted
- I powered it off, held down WPS button, powered on, released WPS button

Good to go! Up and running in <10 minutes.
teddyb109
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:07    Post subject: Firmware locations Reply with quote
I went here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/broadcom_K3X-EXPERIMENTAL/

To try and find:

dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx

referenced in jlehtinen's post

but can't seem to find it and want to follow those instructions.

Could someone kindly point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much.
teddyb109
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:22    Post subject: Link to jlehtinen's download Reply with quote
Update: I did a little more searching and found the build here:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/07-24-2013-r22118/broadcom_K3X/

Nothing like a cup of coffee to get the brain going.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: