DIR-615 E3 WAN Issue (Resolved)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
bytesunfish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:39    Post subject: DIR-615 E3 WAN Issue (Resolved) Reply with quote
I did a cursory search and didn't see this, so I figured I'd add it. If this is not the correct place for this, please move it.

After unboxing my brand spanking new router, I immediately flashed it with the latest DD-WRT build (21061). I decided to upgrade my modem at the same time. All was going swimmingly until I tried to get online. I immediately noticed that my internet was going incredibly slowly. My friends using my voip server were more jittery than a crack addict going cold turkey. I ran the numbers on www.speedtest.net and found them to be embarrassingly low (about 3.53Mb/s down 0.05Mb/s up).

Because my LAN speeds were good, I immediately turned to my shiny new modem. After quite a bit of testing, I couldn't figure out any way to "fix" the problem. Then I thought, what could I actually try? I then tried to downgrade my firmware to the next newest (15778). It was like the sun opened up above me and angels were singing. My speed shot up to where it was supposed to be (>25 Mb/s up and >5 Mb/s down) and I'm pretty sure I saw a dolphin jumping in the distance.

I write this to warn others who may have purchased this router. It's a good router, but it isn't entirely compatible with the latest build of dd-wrt.

tl;dr; If you get slow WAN speeds with a DIR-615 and build 21061, downgrade to 15778.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Build 15778 next newest after 21061? Want to buy a bridge?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought a second dir-615 e3 and was considering the latest image but 15778 works well for me.

Just ran a dslreports speed test via old laptop on "G" wifi between Montreal and NY and got 9.5 megabit down, 1.1 megabits up and 24ms latency via Videotron cable/phone modem (but through an old wrt54G with factory firmware).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: