Cable Mdm > Rter1 > PowerLine Adapter(s) > Rter 2 H

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
peejaygee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:53    Post subject: Cable Mdm > Rter1 > PowerLine Adapter(s) > Rter 2 H Reply with quote
I've tried for 48 hours for this an it all failed.

Here is my setup

Cable Modem > WNDR3700v3

Out of the WNDR3700v3 > PowerLine Adapter

Another room in the house has the recieving PowerLine Adapter.

Other Room > PowerLine Adapter > Netgear WNR2000 v2 (Running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/17/11) mini - build 17084M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko)

I've tried setting the WNR2000 into Switch or dumb router.

I've followed the wiki's and I've searched Google.

I've 30/30/30'd and then followed to the letter and all I get is a 'Limited Connection'

the PowerLine Adapters are not on a different Circuit, and I did have this set up and working for about 12 months (don't know why it failed, but I had to hard reset and I can't remember the settings I had)

I'm confident with making changes and tweaking settings, but I'm looking at some of the settings in the ddwrt and as I don't know what they do, I don't touch them.

I disabled the DCHP, set the IP x.x.x.100 for access, range 101 onwards, etc, pointed the router to my 192.168.1.1 which is the main router.

I'm thinking that my main router needs tweaking, I remember 12 months ago, on the initial set up, using the RIP table?

Can anybody point me in the right directions? If there is any settings you need the answers from, I can provide, I didn't want to inundate the thread with useless info..

Thanks for any help in advance.
Regards

[Edit]

Here is a weird thing, I've pulled the router into the main front room, still using a Powerline adapter and I get hardwire my laptop into the router and set it up and it works?

so the setup was.

Cable Modem > Router > powerline adapter
Front room > PowerLine Adapter > 2nd Router > Config > Laptop > Works? Hmmmmmm

On a wireless set up, can I set it up to wirelessly bridge? I'm wondering if our house electrics are causing it? it is very weird...but if it's wirelessly bridged, the signal will be rubbish.

I dunno... I'm stumped and also annoyed as I like to fix most of my own problems... Sad
Sponsor
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
So are you sure that the powerline adapters are connecting to each other properly when in different rooms? Usually, there is a utility app that comes with the powerline adapters which will report the connection speed, etc... Have you used that to make sure that they are connecting OK when in their desired locations?

Depending on the model of the powerline adapters, I may have a utility that works if you need it (but you should be able to get it from the manufacturer website as well).

Your other option (if I understand your needs correctly) is to ditch the powerline adapters alltogher and setup the WNR2000 as a wireless bridge - you'd probably get better speed with the wireless bridge anyway - at least that's been my experience - I've never had a whole lot of luck with powerline adapters...

1 x Linksys WRT610n v1
1 x Linksys E2500
1 x Netgear WNDR3300
1 x Dlink DIR-825 v1
2 x Asus RT-AC66U
peejaygee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks.

I've set it as a wireless bridge now, so my Tivo has connected again...questions though. As one router is newer than other, the signal strength is better. How can I make it, so if I'm one side of my house, anything wirelessly connects to the old router, and the other side of the house, connect to the primary router?

Or that not how my setup works now?
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
My understanding is that you can set the SSID of both routers to the same thing - then, when connecting to wifi, it will automatically connect to the closest one.

However, when I tried this, my devices didn't seem to "float" between them automatically since most of my devices are connected to wifi 24/7 (there is no disconnecting and reconnecting - so I always stay connected to the first one, even if I'm right next to the second router).

In my case, I just use different SSIDs and manually connect to one or the other if needed (although, I usually just leave them be since I get good signal strength from either, no matter where I am in the house). So, for non-mobile device, I connect them to whichever is closer and for mobile devices, I basically just "split" my devices between the two depending on where I normally use them.

I'm curious to see if anyway is actually able to get their devices to "float" between the two automatically without disconnecting and reconnecting...

EDIT: Actually, wait a minute - if you are in wireless bridge mode, then you can't connect to the second router wirelessly - you would need repeater bridge mode for that (unless the wireless bridge is a dual-band router) - then you could use one band as a wireless bridge and the other band as an AP).

So, look into repeater bridge (although, you'll still run into the same "problem" that I described earlier).

1 x Linksys WRT610n v1
1 x Linksys E2500
1 x Netgear WNDR3300
1 x Dlink DIR-825 v1
2 x Asus RT-AC66U
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
to the OP, are you saying that you were able to successfully connect 2 router together using powerline adapters? if so what brand and model did you use?

i did not think this was possible. my devices on the 2nd router acting as a wired repeater would never get a DHCP address from the main router. router to switch between powerline adapters should work though.

edited to say:

never mind, seems like you ran into the same issues I did.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: