Router Bricked :'(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Gilbert12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:05    Post subject: Router Bricked :'( Reply with quote
Hello guys i will appreciate it if you help me.

I decided to install DD-WRT on my TP-Link TL-WR940N.

And i think i installed the wrong firmware for the device maybe it doesn't match with the hardware version i don't really know :S.

Now everytime i plug the Router into electricity only the PWR Led light keeps runing and nothing else and when i plug an Ethernet cable the LAN 1 led runs (Not blinks just runs) ..

And i tried doing everything (pinging, changing IP's TFTP, nothing is working .. )

P.S Thanks in advance Smile
Sponsor
Gilbert12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
No One Sad
Detection
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have the ability, you will likely need to use JTAG serial recovery

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr940n

This shows how to use PuTTY etc to recover
http://www.portableandroid.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/2673-unlock-samknows-linksys-wrt160nl-monitoring-router/

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Detection wrote:
If you have the ability, you will likely need to use JTAG serial recovery

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr940n

This shows how to use PuTTY etc to recover
http://www.portableandroid.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/2673-unlock-samknows-linksys-wrt160nl-monitoring-router/

Are there any other ways, or guides .. ?
Gilbert12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any help :/
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you use the right ip address for connecting to the router gui, 192.168.1.1?
Wrong firmware is not possible for a first time flash with the factory-to-ddwrt file uploaded to the TP-Link gui firmware update page.
It is possible to upload the wrong file to a router already running dd-wrt though..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Did you use the right ip address for connecting to the router gui, 192.168.1.1?
Wrong firmware is not possible for a first time flash with the factory-to-ddwrt file uploaded to the TP-Link gui firmware update page.
It is possible to upload the wrong file to a router already running dd-wrt though..

Well that was my problem i firstly Flashed DD-WRT it worked ok but then i flashed the firmware again but another version so i think that's the thing that bricked it Sad

And yeah i tried every possible IP again no use :/
JMMazza53
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you can do a 30-30-30 and get to the bootloader, you might be able to reflash the unit. Otherwise the JTAG method is the only thing I know of that's going to work.
Gilbert12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
JMMazza53 wrote:
If you can do a 30-30-30 and get to the bootloader, you might be able to reflash the unit. Otherwise the JTAG method is the only thing I know of that's going to work.

I tried the 30-30-30 reset method a couple of times and again no use.

The JTAG method is a bit complicated and i couldn't find any good guides for my specific model.

Even if i manage to get the JTAG method to work i can't get the actual tjtag app because it needs a donation and in my country we can't pay online we don't even have PayPal accounts :/ it is not supported Sad

Any last resorts .. ?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forget about JTAG, there are only very expensive commercial JTAG software for Atheros cpu's.

What you need to do is a serial recovery using either an RS-232 <-> TTL 3V serial converter or a USB <-> TTL 3V converter like the Nokia DKU-5/CA-42 cable.
3 wires (Rx, Tx, and GND) connected to the internal serial port of the router and the USB side connected to your computer (or the RS-232 side connected to a serial port on your computer if you choose that type of converter).
With this you can connect to the routers bootloader via a terminal program like puTTY running on your computer and tell the bootloader to listen for a tftp transfer on the LAN port. You will need to have a tftp program like tftp32 running on your computer for this transfer.

Refer to the dd-wrt wiki or openwrt wiki for Serial Recovery.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Forget about JTAG, there are only very expensive commercial JTAG software for Atheros cpu's.

What you need to do is a serial recovery using either an RS-232 <-> TTL 3V serial converter or a USB <-> TTL 3V converter like the Nokia DKU-5/CA-42 cable.
3 wires (Rx, Tx, and GND) connected to the internal serial port of the router and the USB side connected to your computer (or the RS-232 side connected to a serial port on your computer if you choose that type of converter).
With this you can connect to the routers bootloader via a terminal program like puTTY running on your computer and tell the bootloader to listen for a tftp transfer on the LAN port. You will need to have a tftp program like tftp32 running on your computer for this transfer.

Refer to the dd-wrt wiki or openwrt wiki for Serial Recovery.

Thanks for the reply Smile, i read the DD-WRT wiki regarding Serial Recovery and it stated that if the boot-loader is corrupted than there's no use of using this method .. ? Is that right .. ? How do i know if my boot-loader is corrupted or not .. ?

And another thing i have a CA-53 Nokia cable will that work .. ? And the bundled cable with Nokia X6 the micro USB cable it doesn't write it's type will that work .. ? Which one should i use .. ?

Thanks in advance, and i really appreciate your help ..
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The bootloader is usually not corrupted by wrong firmware loaded via the gui.
CA-53 is a USB to USB cable, it does not have a USB to Serial chip inside so it can not be used and neither can cables for modern Nokia phones, they are all USB to USB.

DKU-5/CA-42 can be bought in China (Alibaba or similar, or Chinese Ebay) for next to nothing.
They are 3USD from Ebay or Amazon in the western world.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
The bootloader is usually not corrupted by wrong firmware loaded via the gui.
CA-53 is a USB to USB cable, it does not have a USB to Serial chip inside so it can not be used.
DKU-5/CA-42 can be bought in China (Alibaba or similar, or Chinese Ebay) for next to nothing.
They are 3USD from Ebay or Amazon in the western world.

I can't buy online :/, what about Short-Pin .. ? Can i use it to recover a firmware .. ?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gilbert12 wrote:

I can't buy online :/, what about Short-Pin .. ? Can i use it to recover a firmware .. ?

No pin shorting can never fix a wrong firmware flash.
Your only options are serial recovery or throw away the router, nothing else.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Gilbert12 wrote:

No pin shorting can never fix a wrong firmware flash.
Your only options are serial recovery or throw away the router, nothing else.

Oh Sad, anyways thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it Very Happy
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: