WZR-HP-G300NH - How to go from OpenWRT Backfire to DD-WRT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
DoesItMatter wrote:

When flashing back to DD-WRT - use this file:

wzr-hp-g300nh-dd-wrt-webupgrade-MULTI.bin

If you want awesome stability for the WZR-HP-G300NH
build your own - use the latest OpenWRT Barrier Breaker trunk code

The main problem with this file that you guys keep listing here is that the webupgrade bin files don't have the buffalo model specific header in it, this one: buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin does and i have not ever had any problems using TFTP with those types of files with no need to strip anything out of it. Thru some other 3rd party firmware webgui, the header won't matter, because uboot has already initialized and won't check for the header thru a webgui because the buffalo's crippled uboot will check for this header upon TFTP'n (pre-boot window) to the unit.

The most important thing i have found is following the wiki guide to the letter and having a hardware switch in between the router and computer. This is VERY crucial. Without it, i almost always have a failed TFTP, red diag will blink, but won't stop - even after given time.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sponsor
theorie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
tftp'ing the files is not a problem. They are completing successfully. The problem is after the file transfers and installs...
AfterShock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
try reverting back to stock 1.6 firmware using http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=13418, either tftp it or you can use openwrt's web interface, if that works try the official ddwrt firmware on the buffalo website. if you are getting the reboot loop on on 1.6 then something is really screwed up somewhere. I don't remember the details but when I 1st got my router I remember reading that their were big differences between "A0 D0" and "A0 A3" Both of my routers are A0 A3 so I have no way to compare them.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
for tftp upgrade you need a special header or the factory to dd-wrt file. consider that some routers also contain a 16 mb filesize limitation for tftp recovery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had some time to try again tonight.

From a stable OpenWRT install, i took the "wzrg300nh_original.bin" and tried to upload it though the browser. It wouldn't take the file so I stripped out the header using dd.exe and verified with HxD.

Tried again with the new firmware.bin file (that I just created from "wzrg300nh_original.bin") and that uploaded through the browser page. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and when I came back it was sitting with the following lights lit up: Power, Security, Wireless and "Movie Engine".

I unplugged the power waited 2 minutes, then plugged it back in. After a solid Diag light for about 20 seconds, the other lights started coming on and the router went back to having Power, Security, Wireless and "Movie Engine" lit up.

However when I connect to the router with my computer it just shows "Identifying..." in the Network Connections window. Eventually, it says "Unidentified network" but I can't get to the router's web GUI by going to 192.168.1.1 - any idea what's going on? (By the way, the Ethernet adapter is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically").

Thanks again in advance.

---edit/update---

So after powering off the router again, and then powering it back on - the router is in a boot loop again...

I find it very strange that I have OpenWRT running stable but can't get to ANYTHING else...not DD-WRT or even stock. What's going on here?
theorie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright...I've tried so many times with so many different files and methods...I give up.

Anyone want a free router? Not even kidding. If someone out there thinks he/she can get it working they're welcome to take it. Shoot me a PM...first person gets it, just pay for shipping.
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
theorie wrote:
Alright...I've tried so many times with so many different files and methods...I give up.

Anyone want a free router? Not even kidding. If someone out there thinks he/she can get it working they're welcome to take it. Shoot me a PM...first person gets it, just pay for shipping.

PM Sent!

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
AfterShock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
theorie wrote:

generally whenever you change firwmare you should reset your cable modem and reboot your pc, that should fix the unidentified network.

openwrt uses 2 mac addresses, 1 for the lan side which will be the real mac address and then 1 virtual which ends up being the wan side so when you go back to a different firmware you cable modem will be locked onto the virtual mac address. nothing a reset doesn't fix.
theorie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that I gave the router away to another forum member...lol
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
After all of this...

The problem was the power adapter!

When I got it in the mail - it was an electric taped wire job to a lower amperage adapter.

I did a serial recovery and connected a stock WZR-HP-G300NH adapter and router is working fine.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
yea that figures... iirc - they got wzr-hp-g300nh-r power adapters somewhere on ebay for around $15, not sure if they are good, haven't tried them myself, but i know the factory power adapters that came with my units aren't the 'standard' ones i am used to as far as the barrel tip core is concerned. power adapters that i can interchange between my other units won't work for the G300NH, as you probably already know. Smile

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
scottz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
DoesItMatter wrote:

If you want awesome stability for the WZR-HP-G300NH
build your own - use the latest OpenWRT Barrier Breaker trunk code

I browsed through the OpenWRT obtain.firmware.generate Wiki and how would building your own be more stable than grabbing the existing binary?

I currently just recovered from the solid Red diag light so I have the Buffalo branded dd-wrt installed. What would be the best method you migrate to openwrt from here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: