Joined: 06 Feb 2010 Posts: 7401 Location: Little Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 20:05 Post subject:
When flashing back to DD-WRT - use this file:
If you want awesome stability for the WZR-HP-G300NH
build your own - use the latest OpenWRT Barrier Breaker trunk code
The main problem with this file that you guys keep listing here is that the webupgrade bin files don't have the buffalo model specific header in it, this one: buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin does and i have not ever had any problems using TFTP with those types of files with no need to strip anything out of it. Thru some other 3rd party firmware webgui, the header won't matter, because uboot has already initialized and won't check for the header thru a webgui because the buffalo's crippled uboot will check for this header upon TFTP'n (pre-boot window) to the unit.
try reverting back to stock 1.6 firmware using http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=13418, either tftp it or you can use openwrt's web interface, if that works try the official ddwrt firmware on the buffalo website. if you are getting the reboot loop on on 1.6 then something is really screwed up somewhere. I don't remember the details but when I 1st got my router I remember reading that their were big differences between "A0 D0" and "A0 A3" Both of my routers are A0 A3 so I have no way to compare them.
Joined: 06 Jun 2006 Posts: 6866 Location: Dresden, Germany
Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 20:14 Post subject:
for tftp upgrade you need a special header or the factory to dd-wrt file. consider that some routers also contain a 16 mb filesize limitation for tftp recovery _________________ one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.
Linux DD-WRT 4.14.8 #42 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 21 18:11:16 CET 2017 armv7l DD-WRT
root@DD-WRT:/sys# nvram get DD_BOARD
Joined: 28 Jan 2009 Posts: 23 Location: Sarasota, FL
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:21 Post subject:
Had some time to try again tonight.
From a stable OpenWRT install, i took the "wzrg300nh_original.bin" and tried to upload it though the browser. It wouldn't take the file so I stripped out the header using dd.exe and verified with HxD.
Tried again with the new firmware.bin file (that I just created from "wzrg300nh_original.bin") and that uploaded through the browser page. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and when I came back it was sitting with the following lights lit up: Power, Security, Wireless and "Movie Engine".
I unplugged the power waited 2 minutes, then plugged it back in. After a solid Diag light for about 20 seconds, the other lights started coming on and the router went back to having Power, Security, Wireless and "Movie Engine" lit up.
However when I connect to the router with my computer it just shows "Identifying..." in the Network Connections window. Eventually, it says "Unidentified network" but I can't get to the router's web GUI by going to 192.168.1.1 - any idea what's going on? (By the way, the Ethernet adapter is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically").
Thanks again in advance.
So after powering off the router again, and then powering it back on - the router is in a boot loop again...
I find it very strange that I have OpenWRT running stable but can't get to ANYTHING else...not DD-WRT or even stock. What's going on here?
Alright...I've tried so many times with so many different files and methods...I give up.
Anyone want a free router? Not even kidding. If someone out there thinks he/she can get it working they're welcome to take it. Shoot me a PM...first person gets it, just pay for shipping.
generally whenever you change firwmare you should reset your cable modem and reboot your pc, that should fix the unidentified network.
openwrt uses 2 mac addresses, 1 for the lan side which will be the real mac address and then 1 virtual which ends up being the wan side so when you go back to a different firmware you cable modem will be locked onto the virtual mac address. nothing a reset doesn't fix.
Joined: 10 May 2008 Posts: 1373 Location: Pacific North West, USA
Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:15 Post subject:
After all of this...
The problem was the power adapter!
When I got it in the mail - it was an electric taped wire job to a lower amperage adapter.
I did a serial recovery and connected a stock WZR-HP-G300NH adapter and router is working fine. _________________ Soylent Green Is People !
2x Asus RT-N16 - Asuswrt-Merlin 126.96.36.199.376.43
Belkin F7D3302 - Toastman Tomato USB VPN 1.28.7505
Linksys E3000 - Toastman Tomato USB VPN 1.28.7505
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 - OpenWRT Chaos Calmer 45860
2x Engenius ESR900 - Stock Firmware 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Chaos Calmer 45860
TP-Link WR1043ND V1.8 - Gargoyle 1.7.1
Joined: 06 Feb 2010 Posts: 7401 Location: Little Rock
Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 16:48 Post subject:
yea that figures... iirc - they got wzr-hp-g300nh-r power adapters somewhere on ebay for around $15, not sure if they are good, haven't tried them myself, but i know the factory power adapters that came with my units aren't the 'standard' ones i am used to as far as the barrel tip core is concerned. power adapters that i can interchange between my other units won't work for the G300NH, as you probably already know. _________________ Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ