How to: Repeater Bridge with same SSID

Stephen304
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 13:49    Post subject: How to: Repeater Bridge with same SSID Reply with quote
Hi, I would have added a note to the wiki, but seeing as how the wiki registration is disabled, I'll post it here instead. I know this might not be the right place for this since it's a tip instead of some fancy script, but I couldn't find where else I should put this...

Hardware:
2 Apple Airport Extreme:
1 Main, hooked directly to modem, fixed channel 1
1 In apple proprietary "extend" mode
>Both with WPA2 Personal AES

In addition, I have 1 Netgear WNDR3300
It's in Repeater Bridge config straight from the wiki, except instead of using a virtual interface to rebroadcast, I used the 2nd wlan that this model has, broadcasting on "auto" (ends up being ch.1 anyways) with the same SSID.
FW: v24-sp2 (10/10/09) std - build 13064

The Issue:
Now my issue was that I wanted to repeat my AEBS main router using the same SSID so I could roam between the 3 routers freely. Of course the wiki says you shouldn't use the same SSID in repeater bridge mode, but apple's WDS mode doesn't support WPA2 Personal, I guess pushing people to buy more of their routers to use their "extend" feature instead.

The Solution:
The solution is rather simple, actually, and I wish it to be at least noted in the wiki to save headache, because I don't feel that this solution really deserves a full forum post anyways.

I grabbed the mac addy of my main AEBS and enabled the whitelist on the Netgear wl0, the receiving interface. I left filtering off for the wl1 interface, and then changed the broadcasting SSID to the same as the rest.

Notes:
It occurred to me that if you don't have 2 wireless interfaces on your router, you may not be able to only filter the receiving mode, unless virtual interfaces have separate filtering options that appear once added...

Also, there is a significant speed impact, estimated ~20%, when compared to just using a different SSID and no filtering, but of course some people might absolutely need to use the same SSID.

I hope this helped someone else, and I really hope to see the wiki improved and updated.
Sponsor
tibibond
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank You!! Setting the same ssid for my reaper bridge brings a great benefit for my home network, because now when my android phone is connected to the main router and i go to a place where the repeater is installed, instead keeping connected to the main router and facing a poor signal it's quickly reconnects to the repeater and the signal is great again. the main disadvantage is that if you downloading something or you are in the middle of a Voip call, you will most likely get disconnected, yet again the same will most likely happen if you keep two distinct ssid, and you get bad signal!

Great advice!!! keep the good work mate!!!
evrycard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 0:31    Post subject: Re: How to: Repeater Bridge with same SSID Reply with quote
Stephen304 wrote:
Hi, I would have added a note to the wiki, but seeing as how the wiki registration is disabled, I'll post it here instead. I know this might not be the right place for this since it's a tip instead of some fancy script, but I couldn't find where else I should put this...

Hardware:
2 Apple Airport Extreme:
1 Main, hooked directly to modem, fixed channel 1
1 In apple proprietary "extend" mode
>Both with WPA2 Personal AES

In addition, I have 1 Netgear WNDR3300
It's in Repeater Bridge config straight from the wiki, except instead of using a virtual interface to rebroadcast, I used the 2nd wlan that this model has, broadcasting on "auto" (ends up being ch.1 anyways) with the same SSID.
FW: v24-sp2 (10/10/09) std - build 13064

The Issue:
Now my issue was that I wanted to repeat my AEBS main router using the same SSID so I could roam between the 3 routers freely. Of course the wiki says you shouldn't use the same SSID in repeater bridge mode, but apple's WDS mode doesn't support WPA2 Personal, I guess pushing people to buy more of their routers to use their "extend" feature instead.

The Solution:
The solution is rather simple, actually, and I wish it to be at least noted in the wiki to save headache, because I don't feel that this solution really deserves a full forum post anyways.

I grabbed the mac addy of my main AEBS and enabled the whitelist on the Netgear wl0, the receiving interface. I left filtering off for the wl1 interface, and then changed the broadcasting SSID to the same as the rest.

Notes:
It occurred to me that if you don't have 2 wireless interfaces on your router, you may not be able to only filter the receiving mode, unless virtual interfaces have separate filtering options that appear once added...

Also, there is a significant speed impact, estimated ~20%, when compared to just using a different SSID and no filtering, but of course some people might absolutely need to use the same SSID.

I hope this helped someone else, and I really hope to see the wiki improved and updated.

I am totally lost on your setup.
How do you "enabled the whitelist on the Netgear wl0"?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess, he means the MAC filter.
Arrow Changelog/Bug Tickets
maximosg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:17    Post subject: Sharing the same SSID Reply with quote
Hi,
Im also trying to set up the network with the same SSID, repeating from an airport express (wl1) to a link sys with dd-wrt (wl2) Id love to have in my home the same said for all three routers, but for the latter two will suffice.

I currently have 3 SSIDs.
I have a Linksys as a base, that is connected through cable to an airport express.
Then this last is repeated wirelessly by another link sys, but with the dd-wrt.

Could you guys give me a hand? Pcs seem not to find the extended network when it shares SSID, but macs do.

Thanks a lot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Contributions Upload All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: