WRT54GL connectivity issue problem...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
geoff2005
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 23:22    Post subject: WRT54GL connectivity issue problem... Reply with quote
Here is my problem.

I would either reset or hard reset the router and it would work perfectly fine. I would get good speeds and ping.

however after however many minutes, it will start giving me bad speed and ping.

This happened with linksys fimware. (note this router is brand new, I got it replace under warranty within the month because the other router had same problem)

Now i decided to try DD-WRT firmware to see if it will fix the problem.

It worked for a good hour and gave me same results. Now its barely even working.

after first i used the wiki recommendation of flashing to use DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) mini
(SVN revision 12548M NEWD Eko)

then I upgraded to the recent mini.

I have no idea what can be the problem. I do not think settings are issue. Am i just getting a bad routers? however at same time it seems like its a firmware issue since upgrading to DD-WRT has made it more unstable
Sponsor
llabtaem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:24    Post subject: Re: WRT54GL connectivity issue problem... Reply with quote
geoff2005 wrote:
Here is my problem.

I would either reset or hard reset the router and it would work perfectly fine. I would get good speeds and ping.

however after however many minutes, it will start giving me bad speed and ping.

This happened with linksys fimware. (note this router is brand new, I got it replace under warranty within the month because the other router had same problem)

Now i decided to try DD-WRT firmware to see if it will fix the problem.

It worked for a good hour and gave me same results. Now its barely even working.

after first i used the wiki recommendation of flashing to use DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) mini
(SVN revision 12548M NEWD Eko)

then I upgraded to the recent mini.

I have no idea what can be the problem. I do not think settings are issue. Am i just getting a bad routers? however at same time it seems like its a firmware issue since upgrading to DD-WRT has made it more unstable

It sounds like your modem is the problem. If you're having issues with your router using the stock firmware even after you got a new router, replace your modem (if you can) or call your ISP and have a tech person test your modem. It also could be your outside line either way get a tech person to check both. They should be able to check while you are on the phone with them. Even if they do have to send a person out it should be free (well part of monthly bill) depending on where you live and your ISP.
uziq
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
A lot of modems have an interface page you can log into. You may be able to view your stats to determine how solid of a connection you have.
geoff2005
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
the modem was just recently replaced around late December of 2012. When I direct connect to LAN line the speeds are constant and fast.

they also had someone come fix the outside line when they replaced my current modem.

I am very clueless as to what the problem can be. One thing that is confusing is when I restart the router speeds are back up whether its for a minute or for a day... sometimes even connecting through LAN line from router sometimes doesn't work but right after connecting directly to the modem will work fine.

Is it possible the firmware isnt working with the modem?

Last edited by geoff2005 on Fri May 31, 2013 22:33; edited 1 time in total
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
geoff2005 wrote:
the modem was just recently replaced around late December of 2012. When I direct connect to LAN line the speeds are constant and fast.

I am very clueless as to what the problem can be. One thing that is confusing is when I restart the router speeds are back up whether its for a minute or for a day...

Are you by chance running Windows Vista? Before I upgraded my PC to Windows 7 (was running Vista), I found that my wireless speeds would drop to about half of what they are after a fresh boot. No idea what was causing it, but after I loaded Win 7, that problem went away completely. I truly think that Vista networking is screwy...

1 x Linksys WRT610n v1
1 x Linksys E2500
1 x Netgear WNDR3300
1 x Dlink DIR-825 v1
2 x Asus RT-AC66U
geoff2005
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtrosky wrote:
geoff2005 wrote:

I am very clueless as to what the problem can be. One thing that is confusing is when I restart the router speeds are back up whether its for a minute or for a day...

Are you by chance running Windows Vista? Before I upgraded my PC to Windows 7 (was running Vista), I found that my wireless speeds would drop to about half of what they are after a fresh boot. No idea what was causing it, but after I loaded Win 7, that problem went away completely. I truly think that Vista networking is screwy...

one of the laptops in the house is running vista but I dont think that the problem because when the laptop is off I still get unstable and sometimes no connection.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turn on your computers one at a time to test their impact on your system. Perhaps one is running torrents. Those will mess things up quickly.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: