RT-N16 Bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gogubeb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 21:06    Post subject: RT-N16 Bricked Reply with quote
Hi
I install dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega on my RT-N16, then i log on putty console and make the biggest mistake.
i give this tree comands in console:
erase nvram;
erase dd-wrt;
erase cfe
and of course reboot, then my router refuse to start up.
I have no power light, only lan port light and i can't enter to recovery mode, the restore button doesn't work.
I also tried a ca-42 cable but i can't see nothing on serial connection on putty (i set the right port and bud rate).
Any chance to revive the router?
Thanks
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
It can only be rescued by taking out the flash chip and reprogram the CFE using an external programmer.
ApokalipseMeow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Might be possible using JTAG. Standard recovery methods certainly won't work if you erase the cfe though.
BasCom
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
why turn so many ppl their routers into paperweighters ?
ok, that happend to me, too. but with a wrt54gl, that can be rivived with jtag for sure.

TL-WR841ND @ BS-build 23919 Client Bridge ( Routed )
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
BasCom wrote:
why turn so many ppl their routers into paperweighters ?
ok, that happend to me, too. but with a wrt54gl, that can be rivived with jtag for sure.

I don't think that they are doing it on purpose! Smile

It really does get confusing as to which firmware is for which router (except for the trailed builds - they make it nice and easy!). You have k2.4, k2.6, VINT, NEWD, NEWD2, NV60K, NV64K, etc, etc...

Then if you try to read and actually understand the "peacock" thread - as the one user just loves to constantly point out instead of actually helping folks, that confuses people even more. Then, of course, we have the Router Database, which everyone says not to use, but it is right in your face on the main page! Then we have SP1 labeled as the "stable" version... Really, it's no wonder there are so many bricks.

The whole purpose of this board to ask questions and get help, isn't it? I swear that there are certain users who would rather the whole site only be the damn Peacock thread! The peacock thread is not a substitute for personalized help...

Sorry - got off on a tangent a little bit there!!

1 x Linksys WRT610n v1
1 x Linksys E2500
1 x Netgear WNDR3300
1 x Dlink DIR-825 v1
2 x Asus RT-AC66U
BasCom
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
but, if you do not have the possibillities to recover, you´d better dont touch experimental Builds. JTAG isnt a garantuee for newer routers. This Forum is full of:"i have bricked my unit" threads Razz
TL-WR841ND @ BS-build 23919 Client Bridge ( Routed )
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see no reason for erase cfe. Nobody on this forum suggests that you should erase cfe (perhaps for older G routers there was a need to do it in order to write a new cfe, but there is no such need for a RT-N16).

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

Turaiel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it helps at all, I have a CFE backup for this model. Firmware should be recoverable from the software CD bundled with the router, as far as I know.

See http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16#If_you_have_bricked_your_Asus_RT-N16 for further instructions. The serial connector might be your best bet since you now have a copy of the CFE.

Asus Router CFE Backup.bin
 Description:
ASUS RT-N16 CFE Backup

Download
 Filename:  Asus Router CFE Backup.bin
 Filesize:  256 KB
 Downloaded:  746 Time(s)

gogubeb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turaiel wrote:
If it helps at all, I have a CFE backup for this model. Firmware should be recoverable from the software CD bundled with the router, as far as I know.

See http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16#If_you_have_bricked_your_Asus_RT-N16 for further instructions. The serial connector might be your best bet since you now have a copy of the CFE.

Thank you,
I have my cfe backup and i'm waiting for jtag to flash it.
sound_coffee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just use ASUS Wireless Router Firmware Restoration Utility. You can download this tool in ASUS website. No ttl, no jtag need.
Turaiel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
That would be fine had it only been the firmware that was erased, but removing the CFE is essentially the same thing as removing your computer's BIOS. The router isn't going to be receptive to the firmware recovery because it has no way to start up beyond simply powering on.
gogubeb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
gogubeb wrote:
Turaiel wrote:

Thank you,
I have my cfe backup and i'm waiting for jtag to flash it.

My router is up now with jtag help.
Thank you all.
sound_coffee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turaiel wrote:
That would be fine had it only been the firmware that was erased, but removing the CFE is essentially the same thing as removing your computer's BIOS. The router isn't going to be receptive to the firmware recovery because it has no way to start up beyond simply powering on.

I understand now, thank you. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: