Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
RicardoVillalobos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
fractals build is not even a official one. and yes you can install a normal one.
right now i'm posting some newer experimental builds for testing which are based on a new more modern kernel. thats all

So I could easily upgrade from Fractal's dd-wrt.v24-21402_NEWD_2_K2.6_mega-RT-N66_64K.trx to your latest build using the web gui? I guess I should perform the NVRAM reset after upgrade?
Sponsor
knoctsec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
it supported all nvram variants now. there is no separate file required anymore.

first off, thanks for the great works here BrainSlayer. This is my very 1st post on this forum. I've been lurking the net for a while deciding if I should purchase the N66U. The 32K vs 64KB CFE issue has me confused/scared for a while.
However, reading your reason post, I assume this issue has been resolved as of the latest build for the N66U. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
AriX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
knoctsec wrote:
first off, thanks for the great works here BrainSlayer. This is my very 1st post on this forum. I've been lurking the net for a while deciding if I should purchase the N66U. The 32K vs 64KB CFE issue has me confused/scared for a while.
However, reading your reason post, I assume this issue has been resolved as of the latest build for the N66U. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

With the builds that BrainSlayer has posted in this thread, this issue is entirely resolved. See these posts:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=754805#754805
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=754747#754747
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
knoctsec wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:
it supported all nvram variants now. there is no separate file required anymore.

i could also write it twice, but that wouldnt change anything. if you use the k3.x based builds posted here you dont event have to care about it

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to be sure, can I easily upgrade from Fractal's build to the latest BrainSlayer build using the webinterface?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes. for initial install you usually need a NV64 image since fractals firmware has a firmware header check for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wait, I don't think I understand. I installed Merlin, upgraded CFE, installed Fractal's build. I need to do something else before I can install your latest build found in this topic?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
RicardoVillalobos wrote:
Wait, I don't think I understand. I installed Merlin, upgraded CFE, installed Fractal's build. I need to do something else before I can install your latest build found in this topic?

I have already mentioned this in the K3 build thread:

If you currently have an older build installed, and you want to use one of the new K3 builds you first need an intial build, that contains the right header, otherwise the old firmware will not accept it
e.g. you have a NV32K build installed you need to flash standard build:

NV32K->dd-wrt.v24-2xxx_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin

NV60K->dd-wrt.v24-2xxx_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-nv60k.bin

NV64K->dd-wrt.v24-2xxx_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-nv64k.bin

Once you have a new K3 build installed your unit is upgraded to NV64K, after that there is no need anymore for different builds.

Flashing from OEM is a different thing, since in this case you first need a K3 build as *chk these contain the model string in the header which is checked by the oem firmware.

Also Note: if you upgrade to the K3 build and you want to downgrade later on to an older K26 build you will loose your settings.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, but i'm realy confused about this now.
I just bought the RT-n66u router. Is there a stable release of dd-wrt I can install on the router?

And is there any guide that is up to date?
Whats the difference between the fractal builds and BrainSlayer builds?
Where can I get the BrainSlayer builds?
mache
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
And is there any guide that is up to date?
Whats the difference between the fractal builds and BrainSlayer builds?
Where can I get the BrainSlayer builds?

Sadly builds for the RT-N66U are still experimental so there are no production builds as yet. The Brainslayer builds are based on newer kernels (3.9?) than the Fractal ones.

The most recent Brainslayer build is listed in this thread on page 110 in a Sat May 18, 2013 7:11 am pst post as a direct download. The filename is
Quote:
dd-wrt.v24-21625_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

-- Mache

Last edited by mache on Fri May 24, 2013 17:01; edited 1 time in total
jesbo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
The answers you seek and recent builds are posted in this thread. Just do a little reading first and understand about dd-wrt B4 diving in. The builds discussed in this thread are stable (stable being a rather imprecise term Confused ), but that doesn't mean that the features you may be interested in using work 100%. This software is a work-in progress and as such, use at your own risk.

People here will be more than happy to help you once you've invested a little of your own time to come up to speed.

Welcome to the dd-wrt world. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the Asus RT-N66U support VLAN trunking?

I ask this because my ISP (Portugal MEO) supplies FTTH and a very lousy Thomson router that I'm looking to replace.

From what I've read, people have been able to replace the Thomson with sucess and as such, I'm thinking of investing on an Asus RT-N66U to replace it.

The problem is that my ISP supplies Internet+IPTV on different VLAN's. Currently I have a single cable running from the Thomson router to the living room where are connected multiple devices (including a STB and a NAS) and that single cable carries IPTV and Internet from the Thomson router.

I need to be able to replicate this with a new router and from what I've read, this can be accomplished with VLAN truking.

Maybe I'm wrong here, I'm kinda of a newbie on DD-WRT but just wanted to make sure before investing on a new router.
Elrique64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:31    Post subject: Routers came in yesterday Reply with quote
And been busy getting this network set up. Couple of issues, though.

After first install of the vendor upgrade to .270 then flashed in the latest from BS:dd-wrt.v24-21625_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

Had to do 2 30-30-30's to get an IP on the lan side. Finally got it going, though....

Next issue comes from wlan. When I select a channel on either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz settings it automatically defaults back to auto. Just as you hit save or apply you can see the change. Only fix I found was reflashing back to .270.

I will keep the asus fw running for now, since it gives me channel selection. Believe it or not, there is a company up here giving free 20 minutes wifi every day. They have the entire town covered with AP's. The bad news is, there is so much cross-talk pollution I can't get AP's running for my project without some selective channeling.

Anyway, thought I would pass on the good with the bad. Keep up the good work, BrainSlayer and thanks!

El!
mhchm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey,

I just want to give a tip for anybody who has trouble getting into recovery mode. I didn't find this simple information on the internet yet. First, some context:

I flashed a Brainslayer build from a Fractal build, and then my router stopped responding to ping. When booting normally, the power and ethernet LEDs would light up. The same thing happened when booting up with the reset button pressed, which should have put into recovery mode, but didn't. When booting up with the WPS button pressed, the power LED would flash and clear the NVRAM. The router then started up and enabled the two radios, broadcasting a "dd-wrt" SSID, but still no ping.

To force it into recovery mode:

Set a static IP of 192.168.1.2
    Press the WPS button and start up
    Let the power LED flash rapidly for 5 seconds, then release WPS
    Immediately press the reset button, keeping it pressed until the power LED flashes slowly
    Release the reset button
    Point your browser to 192.168.1.1

Voilà.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
mhchm wrote:
Hey,

I just want to give a tip for anybody who has trouble getting into recovery mode. I didn't find this simple information on the internet yet.

Noted

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 113 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: