Netgear WNR2000 v2 Help :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 20:27    Post subject: Netgear WNR2000 v2 Help :( Reply with quote
Hey, I'm having some issues D:

I tried to flash my v2 with the instructions found here:

www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNR2000V2

Everything went well, I started the upload and set a timer for 5 minutes. Timer finished and I came back, the GUI had changed in the large central section to report that IE had a connection issue. Anyway, at that point I typed 192.168.1.1 into IE's address bar and it timed out.

I re-read the instructions and found that I was supposed to wait 5 minutes AFTER the lights had finished flashing on the router.

So I messed up.

Now I have a flashing green power light. Connecting the supplied LAN cable (the cable I used for the flash attempt) I do get a light for the appropriate slot.

What is my next step? I've read through a lot of stuff and from what I understand I now need to use TFTP to flash the software onto the router, but I'm using Windows 7 and there's some issue with timing ? ?

The laptop I'm posting this from is Ubuntu version 12.04.2, I don't know if it would be better to use this one.

Help? :/
Sponsor
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=483253#483253

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you

I got here:

"4) Open Telnet and enter these settings
-Session: type in the router's IP Address 192.168.1.1
-Rlogin, Local Username: root
-Data, Auto Login Username: root
-Proxy, Username:root
Password:12345
Don't change any of the other settings.
Also, I am not certain if I needed to put "root" for ALL of the usernames. This is what worked for me. If any comments or suggestions, PLEASE POST THEM.

5) Now you can hit "Open".
now login to the telnet with username:root
Password:12345 "

When I hit Open I got basically an empty terminal window. I literally typed in "username:root" hit enter and typed "Password:12345" and hit enter. The window closed.

What did I do wrong?

FYI, I have the ping running still, I get

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=100

EDIT: Just tried again, hit Open and the window popped up. I typed in "username:root" then looked at my laptop to check this thread. A moment later the window closed for no apparent reason.

I downloaded PuTTYtel from here using the first "puttytel.exe" link.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
See the peacock announcement. Notes 6 and 11. You can't use telnet, as you don't have any firmware on that router.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
That makes sense, so I skip to the TFTP part.

Sorry, I feel like a moron because I know nothing about this :/

When it says "Configure TFTP" how do I do that? EDIT: nm I guess that doesn't apply when you're using the command line.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Andrelommech wrote:
That makes sense, so I skip to the TFTP part.

No. You skip the TELNET part, and DO the tftp. Read what I pointed you to. You should get oem Netgear firmware for your router and start with that.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
HOLY *$&@ IT WORKED!!!

Now to not fail at flashing DD-WRT.
Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, flashing the router. Followed the steps, the update started and now I'm at the screen that shows the Netgear router menu but the central part has the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" thing. The power light is flashing green, the blue light is off and the 1 light is on (flashing intermittently as they do).

It has been about 25 minutes. Should I keep waiting? The tutorial says to wait unil the lights have stopped flashing.
Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its been over an hour now... still flashing green power light, no blue light, and normal 1 light.
Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Didn't work.

I used TFTP to put the original firmware back on, did a hard reset and tried again, leaving the static IP set up.

Didn't work. Flashing green power light at about 1hz.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried it with TFTP. I have my computer set up with a static IP @ 192.168.1.5

I've screenshotted the relevant stuff. I started pinging, unplugged the router and hit enter on the TFTP upload as soon as I get the first ping responses. The power light went yellow for about 20 seconds, and the upload failed after I started getting the =64 pings.

Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used the link provided in the original instructions I was reading (older version) and it worked.

That error TFTP came up with seemed to be related to file size and the older file was just a hair smaller. I feel like I shouldn't update the firmware if the newer versions will temporarily brick it again :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: