Asus RT-AC66U now in stock - DD-WRT compatibility?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
syossi2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi jtrosky
onther qestion please

1. there is also on dd-wrt section for the download from the internet to the usb?

2. there is alsoo download to storge rg-45 ?

thanks
yossi

wrt54gs 1.1 ( love it)
whr-hp-54 ( love it)
tp-link 841ND ( love it)
whr-hp-300n (dont love it)
asus rt ac66u ( love it)

Last edited by syossi2 on Wed May 08, 2013 5:34; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Question regarding how things work when I have two AP's with the same SSID... For example, I have two AP's that I setup with the same SSID - one is upstairs and one is downstairs.

Should devices periodically check to see which one they are closer to and then switch automatically? Or would I have to "force" them to switch by turning wifi off and back on when I move from one location to the other (to get best signal)? I have all of my mobile devices set to keep wifi on at all times, by the way.

Thanks!

1 x Linksys WRT610n v1
1 x Linksys E2500
1 x Netgear WNDR3300
1 x Dlink DIR-825 v1
2 x Asus RT-AC66U
xpxp2002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtrosky wrote:
Question regarding how things work when I have two AP's with the same SSID... For example, I have two AP's that I setup with the same SSID - one is upstairs and one is downstairs.

Should devices periodically check to see which one they are closer to and then switch automatically? Or would I have to "force" them to switch by turning wifi off and back on when I move from one location to the other (to get best signal)? I have all of my mobile devices set to keep wifi on at all times, by the way.

Thanks!

They should roam automatically. You can control how aggressive each client is with regards to roaming in the adapter settings. Also, if I remember right, both APs will have to be on the same layer 2 subnet in order to negotiate seamless handoff of clients.
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
xpxp2002 wrote:
jtrosky wrote:

Thanks!

They should roam automatically. You can control how aggressive each client is with regards to roaming in the adapter settings. Also, if I remember right, both APs will have to be on the same layer 2 subnet in order to negotiate seamless handoff of clients.

Ok, great - thank you for the reply. In this case, I'm talking about Android devices - I don't think I've ever seen a way to "tune" how aggressive they roam though. I'll keep an eye on the DD-WRT status pages to see if they roam automatically and how often.

Thanks again.

1 x Linksys WRT610n v1
1 x Linksys E2500
1 x Netgear WNDR3300
1 x Dlink DIR-825 v1
2 x Asus RT-AC66U
xpxp2002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtrosky wrote:
xpxp2002 wrote:
jtrosky wrote:

Thanks!

Ok, great - thank you for the reply. In this case, I'm talking about Android devices - I don't think I've ever seen a way to "tune" how aggressive they roam though. I'll keep an eye on the DD-WRT status pages to see if they roam automatically and how often.

Thanks again.

Right, I was thinking Windows PCs. There may be a way to adjust that on a rooted Android device, but in most circumstances if the APs and network side are set up properly, the wireless client will "just work" and roam without any other intervention.
RamHawk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I got my Asus RT-AC66u today. I have downloaded the "v24 PreSP2 Beta 21061" file and I grabbed the Asus Wireless Router Utility from the CD. Before I go down the dd-wrt road with this router, can I re-install the OEM Asus if I don't like the dd-wrt? Thanks in advance.
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
RamHawk wrote:
So I got my Asus RT-AC66u today. I have downloaded the "v24 PreSP2 Beta 21061" file and I grabbed the Asus Wireless Router Utility from the CD. Before I go down the dd-wrt road with this router, can I re-install the OEM Asus if I don't like the dd-wrt? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can re-install the stock firmware if you'd like. Also, be careful to use a DD-WRT image that has AC66U in the filename... You need a specific build for the RT-AC66U - check a few posts up and I explain how to get the build that I used (21286) - it works great...

1 x Linksys WRT610n v1
1 x Linksys E2500
1 x Netgear WNDR3300
1 x Dlink DIR-825 v1
2 x Asus RT-AC66U
blumman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone managed to get greater speeds than 200 Mbps WAN to LAN on this router yet?

Or is it still a limitation in DD-WRT due to Broadcom's driver package not being open source?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just received a new RT-AC66U and am unable to get it to obtain a WAN IP on the two latest builds (r21286 being my last attempt). I can't find any error messages in the logs to indicate why this problem is occurring. Both the stock firmware and Merlin work fine. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am a long-time DD-WRT user and would like to stay on it.

Thanks
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
blumman wrote:
Has anyone managed to get greater speeds than 200 Mbps WAN to LAN on this router yet?

Or is it still a limitation in DD-WRT due to Broadcom's driver package not being open source?

Not sure what you mean by WAN to LAN, but I get over 30MBps (megaBYTES) over my wireless bridge (two AC66U's running DD-WRT). The connection speed shown in DD-WRT is consistently 877Mbps or higher (usually sits @ 877Mbps).

Does that help at all or did I completely mis-understand the question?

Thanks.

1 x Linksys WRT610n v1
1 x Linksys E2500
1 x Netgear WNDR3300
1 x Dlink DIR-825 v1
2 x Asus RT-AC66U
xpxp2002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtrosky wrote:
blumman wrote:

Not sure what you mean by WAN to LAN, but I get over 30MBps (megaBYTES) over my wireless bridge (two AC66U's running DD-WRT). The connection speed shown in DD-WRT is consistently 877Mbps or higher (usually sits @ 877Mbps).

Thanks.

I think they mean incoming routed + NATted traffic, as in the speed of traffic inbound from the WAN interface connected to an ISP.
psu256
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just taking my first steps into DD WRT. Loaded

http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/04-15-2013-r21286/asus-rt-ac66u/dd-wrt-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx

last night. That was slightly terrifying, worried I'd have a brand shiny new brick in my house... but it was super-easy. I loaded Merlin first to see what that offered, and then loaded dd wrt afterwards.

Everything seems to be mostly working. uPnP is on but doesn't seem to be accomplishing much as nothing is listed in the services list.

Still having some occasional R0 problems with FFXI (yea, that's still a thing - there was even a recent expansion.) Even with the port triggering set up, when I look @ tmp/var/log/messages I am still seeing a few dropped packets from Squeenix's IPs. I saw an old necro-post that says to up the TCP timeout and the limit on the number of ports. I didn't have time to mess with it last night, but I will take a look later after work.

So far I am very happy with the router and DD WRT. Nice strong signal compared to my old DIR-685 and lots of features!

BTW, I know the DIR-685 is an older router, and isn't supported by D-Link or DD WRT. If there is still any desire out there to get DD WRT running on it, I'd be happy to donate it.

Last edited by psu256 on Thu May 09, 2013 16:39; edited 1 time in total
RamHawk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtrosky wrote:
Yes, you can re-install the stock firmware if you'd like. Also, be careful to use a DD-WRT image that has AC66U in the filename... You need a specific build for the RT-AC66U - check a few posts up and I explain how to get the build that I used (21286) - it works great...

Thanks! I got dd-wrt installed in like 5 mins. Lots of good options in this version (better than my old Linksys). I'm amazed at the 5G range of this bad boy! I don't plan going back to the stock firmware but I just wanted to make sure.
jtrosky
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
RamHawk wrote:
jtrosky wrote:

Thanks! I got dd-wrt installed in like 5 mins. Lots of good options in this version (better than my old Linksys). I'm amazed at the 5G range of this bad boy! I don't plan going back to the stock firmware but I just wanted to make sure.

Yeah, there is no question that this is the best wireless router that I've ever owned (or seen)!! This thing rocks! Even the 2.4Ghz wireless-N performs better than any other wireless-N router I've owned. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Asus actually used external antennas instead of those internal antennas that everyone is using nowadays!

EDIT: By the way, I originally tried using the stock firmware for my wireless bridge (it does support it if you have two of them) - DD-WRT performs better than stock (and of course has a ton of options that stock doesn't).

Did you install the 21286 release? Just curious. Someone else said that they couldn't get WAN service with 21286 (I'm using my Verizon FIOS router for the WAN connection - I have to because of my set-top boxes, so my RT-AC66U's aren't setup for WAN access at all (so I can't test myself, at least not easily).

Thanks.

1 x Linksys WRT610n v1
1 x Linksys E2500
1 x Netgear WNDR3300
1 x Dlink DIR-825 v1
2 x Asus RT-AC66U

Last edited by jtrosky on Thu May 09, 2013 18:31; edited 1 time in total
blumman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
xpxp2002 wrote:
jtrosky wrote:
blumman wrote:

Thanks.

I think they mean incoming routed + NATted traffic, as in the speed of traffic inbound from the WAN interface connected to an ISP.

Yeah you're right. I'm hooked up to the city's fiber network and my download speed is 250 Mbps. Though with DD-WRT I have only managed to get 130 Mbps downstream. I believe it's some kind of limitation in the firmware as it works well with stock and Merlin's build.

Navigation

Jump to: