Flashing with tftp help!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
zendawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 0:45    Post subject: Flashing with tftp help!!!! Reply with quote
I just purchased a Linksys wrt54gs v 1.0, and I need instructions on how to flash it via tftp. I am kinda new to DD-WRT. I have a wrt54gl that i successfully flashed through the GUI. I have never flashed via tftp and need to know exactly how to do it. I searched the Wikki, and there was no information on this topic. Please help.
Sponsor
Brunzwick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 0:49    Post subject: Have you tried... Reply with quote
Have you tried flashing with the mini firmware first, then upgrading to the full firmware?

That usually works.
zendawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
so I can flash with the mini from the gui first then tftp v23sp1 final? I have never used tftp before, so I am trying to figure out how to do it.

Thanks,
zendawg
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why do you want to use tftp at all? You can flash your v.1 with the mini using the GUI, reset, then flash the regular using the GUI, reset.....and you're done.
Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
zendawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only reason I was going to use tftp was because the Wikki said that was the way to do it for the wrt54gs. I will gladly flash through the GUI. I just didn't want to "Brick " the router on the first go. I just paid $85 for it off of Ebay. Thanks for the feed back. I am going to try it using the dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54gs.bin, via the GUI.
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
My main router is a GS v. 2.1. I've flashed it several times using the GUI. The only time I ever use TFTP is if I'm flashing a new kernal to a router I've just de-bricked. Even then, I'll flash it with TFTP to get the mini or stock Linksys firmware on board, then finish up using the GUI....it's just a lot easier. Just remember......after you flash the mini, hold the reset button for 30 seconds, let the router boot, then flash the standard. Hold the reset button for 30 seconds again, and you should be happenin'!! Good luck!!

Alden Very Happy

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
zendawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was juat a lil confused about the process, but I was able to get v.23 Sp1 installed without error. Thanks to all for the info. Now if I can only can VLAN's to work. That was my main emphasis for getting the wrt54gs v1.0, because, as indicated in the (old) forum, the internal switch in this device supports VLAN creation. IF anyone has successfully done this please let me know how it worked out. I am a Linux NOOB at best. However thanks to Trainsignal CBT's I am getting more well versed with the OS and file system. I have been working off of what others have been doing in the forums with regards to VLAN's but no luck thus far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: