WRT54G2 V1 QOS Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
robontop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:49    Post subject: WRT54G2 V1 QOS Question Reply with quote
Hi there!

I am having a question regarding qos on my router.
I have it set up as an access point, connected to my modem (which I have to use due to my internet provider) via LAN. And all clients are connected to it via WiFi.

So for qos to work I set up/downlink limits and edited service priorities in dd-wrt control panel.

Now I am not sure which port to use. There are 2 options: WLAN/LAN and WAN
Which option do I have to use for my purpose?

The services properties I use are for example: p2p torrents set to bulk and VOIP and skype set to express.

My router is not connectet to WAN via the WAN port ,just via LAN port..
So do I have to use WLAN/LAN port option?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by robontop on Sat May 04, 2013 11:58; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
robontop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
So ok.. after reading the forum rules, I'll try again:

My Problem: QoS not working at all
Hardware: Linksys WRT54G2 V1
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro - build 12548M NEWD Eko
(as recommended in the Wiki http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G2_v1.0

I get 6MBit Downlink connection from my internet provider.
I am using the WRT54G2 as an Access Point.
It is connected via LAN to my modem.
I have severals clients all connected to the WRT54G2 via WLAN.

I setup Qos as follows:

Basically I setup some rules and restricted
Downlink to 5750 Kbps and
Uplink to 775 Kbps.

But taking a look at the bandwith, it does have no effect:

As you can see bandwith is above 5750 Kbps. Even if I set the Downlink limit to 2000 (or even 50) it doesn't have any effect!

I tried using the other Packet Scheduler HFSC and tried using the WAN port instead: But no effect.

So what am I doing wrong here? I am new to this Qos thing.. so if anyone could please point me in the right direction as to what I am doing wrong I'd be quite happy Smile

cheers
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
It'd be somewhat hard for me to know exactly if the recent build changes for QoS will apply for the older k2.4 units because i haven't tested it with an older G unit in quite sometime now, but as of recent, QoS has basically been overhauled - so at best i would suggest to try with a more recent build.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
robontop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi thanks for your reply.

How recent would you suggest?
I just read everywhere that this build I use is supposed to be the best/most stable one for this router model and that the newer ones just tend to break things..

So is there a newer build you would suggest?

EDIT: So you think it is firmware/software related? And does not have anything to with the way I set up things (Access point, qos-settings etc.) ?
Or in other words did I set it up right? (at least the settings) Wink
robontop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone?

I am kind of confused? Why are my qos settings/bandwith limits not effecting the up/downlink?
Is this a bug with the firmware? Or am I doing something wrong?

I simply don't want to try out every different firmware version, or the latest one as I read that it is not recommended for my router model. Is that so?

Anyhow, which other version should/could I try? I simply don't know whether this would even fix my problem? Because actually qos should work with the firmware version I have already flashed, due to the fact that it is the recommended version for my model and others probably would have reported something on this.
And I can't find any other posts regarding that problem..

So pls help me out here..
Markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
QoS is broken in such old dd-wrt versions and is in a well working state in current builds.

Due to the fact your router doesn't require the very old vintage images it should be safe to flash a recent build even if they are not recommended for your router.
If you encounter any problems or do not want to try out the latest releases it might be time to think about replacing this old router by a new one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: