Asus RT-AC66U now in stock - DD-WRT compatibility?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 13:53    Post subject: Re: Is it safe? ;) Reply with quote
athurdent wrote:

RMerlin, apart form my SMB upload speed issue with your and also ASUS' firmwares reported earlier in this thread, I'd really like to give it another try.
Really nice additions would be the already mentioned Wireless Overview page like DD-WRT has, also SNMP and a VLAN implementation would be great. Are those features on your roadmap?

Wireless: the Wireless Log page will show the list of associated clients, along with link speed and RSSI.

No plan to add SNMP (can be added through Optware) or advanced VLAN support, as both would be beyond the scope of this project, which targets beginner to mid-advanced users.
Sponsor
OggyFX51
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 14:20    Post subject: Asus RT-AC66R from Best Buy , can I install DD-WRT Reply with quote
how well does ddwrt work with Asus AC66R
CoryC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 17:27    Post subject: Re: Is it safe? ;) Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
CoryC wrote:
Why is DDWRT not taking IPv6 more seriously...How hard is it to add a DHCPv6-PD server to it...Really....I am asking....Not attacking...???

To be honest, almost none of the OEMs do either. For instance, Asus gives you no way to configure the IPv6 firewall at any level whatsoever. Probably the same for most other OEMs.

The home gateway market is badly lagging in terms of IPv6 support, regardless of the brand or the firmware developer.

I think your timetable is over optimistic. I don't see any of the major ISPs here in Canada offering IPv6 to their home customers for at least two years. Heck, only one has 6rd in Beta right now, and we both know this isn't gonna cut it as a production IPv6 solution for the long-term.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Over-25-of-Verizon-Wireless-Traffic-Now-IPv6-123980 - This just showed up today...

Take a look at the measurement link....It's an overall 20 percent jump in 12 months...
CoryC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 17:29    Post subject: Re: Asus RT-AC66R from Best Buy , can I install DD-WRT Reply with quote
OggyFX51 wrote:

It's the same router...It's what I have...Been using DDWRT and Merlin just fine...No problems...From my understanding...66R comes from retail stores, 66U is online...Don't ask me why....RMerlin can answer it better I think..
CoryC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 17:37    Post subject: Re: Is it safe? ;) Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
athurdent wrote:
RMerlin wrote:

The home gateway market is badly lagging in terms of IPv6 support, regardless of the brand or the firmware developer.

AVM has very good IPv6 support in their FRITZ!BOX routers.

RMerlin, apart form my SMB upload speed issue with your and also ASUS' firmwares reported earlier in this thread, I'd really like to give it another try.
Really nice additions would be the already mentioned Wireless Overview page like DD-WRT has, also SNMP and a VLAN implementation would be great. Are those features on your roadmap?

Well I did put any effort into IPv6 support because I don't want IPv6, IPv6 has no advantage to the regular user, only disadvantages.
Uses more ressources on your router (that's also one of the reasons why old hardware usually gets no ipv6 support), makes you completely trackable, since providers don't assign ip adresses in a way, that you cannot be tracked anymore.
DDNS is usually enough for 99,5% of the users if they want to access their home net.

If I'm forced to use IPv6 then I'll add support for it, if it's not already there by then:-)

I noticed there was no response to the Client Bridge MAT problem....I would love some input on that....
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 18:49    Post subject: Re: Is it safe? ;) Reply with quote
CoryC wrote:

I noticed there was no response to the Client Bridge MAT problem....I would love some input on that....

Brainslayer probably has an answer to that. I bet there is a reason for it.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 19:34    Post subject: Re: Is it safe? ;) Reply with quote
CoryC wrote:
RMerlin wrote:
CoryC wrote:
Why is DDWRT not taking IPv6 more seriously...How hard is it to add a DHCPv6-PD server to it...Really....I am asking....Not attacking...???

To be honest, almost none of the OEMs do either. For instance, Asus gives you no way to configure the IPv6 firewall at any level whatsoever. Probably the same for most other OEMs.

I think your timetable is over optimistic. I don't see any of the major ISPs here in Canada offering IPv6 to their home customers for at least two years. Heck, only one has 6rd in Beta right now, and we both know this isn't gonna cut it as a production IPv6 solution for the long-term.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Over-25-of-Verizon-Wireless-Traffic-Now-IPv6-123980 - This just showed up today...

Take a look at the measurement link....It's an overall 20 percent jump in 12 months...

This is an exception case however. If you look for example at Comcast, one of the largest ISPs for home users in the US, they show an IPv6 deployment of 1.72%.
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 19:35    Post subject: Re: Asus RT-AC66R from Best Buy , can I install DD-WRT Reply with quote
CoryC wrote:
OggyFX51 wrote:

It's the same router...It's what I have...Been using DDWRT and Merlin just fine...No problems...From my understanding...66R comes from retail stores, 66U is online...Don't ask me why....RMerlin can answer it better I think..

R is for large retailers. It's just a different marketing SKU, exact same hardware.
CoryC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 20:07    Post subject: Re: Is it safe? ;) Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
CoryC wrote:
RMerlin wrote:
CoryC wrote:

This is an exception case however. If you look for example at Comcast, one of the largest ISPs for home users in the US, they show an IPv6 deployment of 1.72%.

I think the information is a little out-dated... Which makes the argument that IPv6 is most likely..MORE DEPLOYED, than what we know....

Comcast website indicated as of October of last year they already have it deployed to 50 percent of their network...

http://www.comcast6.net/

My comment(s) were based on the hope DDWRT would not wait unitl the last minute for adding IPv6...It's moving faster than most people think.
blumman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
CoryC

I think you were spot on with your previous comments. The only thing I'm missing with ASUSWRT-Merlin is built in suppport for SNMP. I haven't figured out how to set it up with Entware yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:36    Post subject: Re: Is it safe? ;) Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:

Wireless: the Wireless Log page will show the list of associated clients, along with link speed and RSSI.

If the info is still in that box that does not auto refresh and one has to scroll for the info on 5GHz, then it would be really, really nice to have that on an extra, auto refreshing page. But maybe that's just me.
Anyway: thanks for the hard work everyone is doing on DD-WRT, KongMod and Asuswrt-Merlin!
darkryoushii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
so I know I've been harping on about this issue for a few pages now but I've only had a few responses that actually help - thank you to those people.

My 40MHz and 80MHz settings aren't doing anything at all. No matter what combination they are put in I can only get 20MHz (216.5Mbps) speeds maximum.

I was told by Shotta35 that it's probably because HT40 isn't working. Brainslayer care to chime in?
CoryC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
darkryoushii wrote:
so I know I've been harping on about this issue for a few pages now but I've only had a few responses that actually help - thank you to those people.

My 40MHz and 80MHz settings aren't doing anything at all. No matter what combination they are put in I can only get 20MHz (216.5Mbps) speeds maximum.

I was told by Shotta35 that it's probably because HT40 isn't working. Brainslayer care to chime in?

What type of computer are you using?

If it’s an Apple product, please remember that Apple does not support bonding on the 2.4G radio, only the 5GHz. 216Mbps sounds like Apple 2011 or newer machine with three antennas (like I have)…75Mbps at 20Mhz x 3 Antenna….You can get 450Mbps on the 5Ghz radio…

Have you checked Bluetooth/coexistence settings? If it’s enabled then the AP and/or the computer will not use bonding if there is a lot of Bluetooth and/or wifi in your area. Disable it.

Just some things you can check…

If its the AP you are talking about....What channels are you trying to use?

Have you tried a 30/30/30 reset...?

Have you tried "N" Only?
darkryoushii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
CoryC wrote:
darkryoushii wrote:

What type of computer are you using?

If it’s an Apple product, please remember that Apple does not support bonding on the 2.4G radio, only the 5GHz. 216Mbps sounds like Apple 2011 or newer machine with three antennas (like I have)…75Mbps at 20Mhz x 3 Antenna….You can get 450Mbps on the 5Ghz radio…

Have you checked Bluetooth/coexistence settings? If it’s enabled then the AP and/or the computer will not use bonding if there is a lot of Bluetooth and/or wifi in your area. Disable it.

Just some things you can check…

If its the AP you are talking about....What channels are you trying to use?

Have you tried a 30/30/30 reset...?

Have you tried "N" Only?

- Mid 2012 Retina Macbook Pro.
    - Stock Firmware with seemingly the same settings will get 450Mbps solid.
    - Same SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz - separating them to separate SSIDs don't change the results.
    - Tried "N" Only - same results.
    - Setting a specific channel then hitting apply only results in it flicking back to "Auto" before applying. Could having a virtual wireless interface on the 2.4GHz adapter have something to do with this?

I'm thinking my best chance is to do a 30/30/30 reset and hope that it works after that. Will probably do that tomorrow morning if I have the chance unless you can give another suggestion?

Thanks very much for the reply too Smile

EDIT: After performing a 30/30/30 reset then reconfiguring the details, I have the same issue. 217Mbps in Network Utility. This did however fix the channel selection problem and so I've tried various combinations and no dice.

EDIT 2.0: I love you CoryC <3 It was the channels, the magic settings for me was 40 + 38. Running at 450Mbps solid now. Smile

EDIT v3: Absolute memory recovery. I just realized that I was probably originally choosing channels that were not specified for my Region (Australia). I'm assuming that Channel 1 - what it defaults too when I had auto selected is also not available for Australia. This could have all been avoided pretty easily.
jay42k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am using AC66R. I am having difficulty getting the 2.4Ghz band to work with any throughput (<30Mb). Using stock settings on Brainslayer's 21223. Things work perfectly on 5Ghz band.

Stock Asus firmware works perfectly. I have thought of trying Merlin's build. That said, here is what I need:
-- 3 virtual interfaces, 2.4Ghz, as
** House: all internet access
** Child: all internet access, including access to the house printers, but locked to specific name servers (e.g. OpenDNS)
** Guest: for friends
-- 1 virtual interface, 5Ghz for media

DDRWT will allow me to set this up fine by using some bridging and dhcp-option commands. I'm just having difficulty with the 2.4Ghz band speed (maybe it is channel setup??).

Will Merlin allow me to set up a virtual interface for "Child" above such that I can lock it to specific DNS servers and have access to the main home network? I know I can set up three virtual interfaces, but there doesn't seem to be configuration and they are handled more as guest.

Finally, if someone has suggested settings for the 2.4Mhz band using Brainslayer, that will be helpful (changes from default config).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 90, 91, 92  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 28 of 92
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: