Linksys E3000 bricked (won't TFTP)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
lenjung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 0:57    Post subject: Linksys E3000 bricked (won't TFTP) Reply with quote
So, being the genius (sarc) that I am, completely flashed the wrong version into my Linksys E3000.

I've been able to get it into "management mode", but when I try to TFTP (TFTP2) it runs about 66% complete then fails. Been trying to use the 14929 and 15926 builds, even tried to reflash with stock firmware. No go any.

Have tried the 10mb/half, with many variations but nothing seems to work. I can ping my router and I can get a consistent 100ms ttl, but cannot get beyond that.

Any help would be appreciated!

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you flashed the wrong image file, you will most likely need to recover using a serial connection to the router, guide is in the dd-wrt wiki under: serial recovery

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
lenjung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was afraid of that...

Was hoping there was something I was missing. Guess if I want it to work again I don't really have another choice...

Anyways, appreciate the help

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know if it's significant...

I''m under the impression that the TFTP program isn't fitting within the time frame for flashing.

I have tried two different versions of firmware (and depending on the size the progress bar stops at different points). What I'm getting at is I think the firmwares are maybe just slightly too large to upload within the time frame.

Anyone have any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try stock firmware. If that doesn't work, get a serial cable.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
lenjung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried stock, doesn't work.

Probably just gonna junk it and get another router.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
@lenjung : same problem here : I've flashed a totally wrong firmware on my E3200 and nothing helped me, only serial console. With great help from my colleagues I've soldered a 5 pin connector on router's PCB and also custom build a max232 circuit for be able to interfer the rs232 signal from PC with ttl 3.3v from router. If you are not good at soldering you can buy for 10€ or so, this type of cable
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I have unbricked an E3000 twice by TFTP. You need to have Windows XP (no Vista/7/8, but Windows 98 is also good). If you don't have XP, use the miniXP from Hiren's Boot CD. The TFTP program is tftp2.exe . I have recovered my router by TFTP-ing a Kong nv60k build, I don't remember exactly which, but you can try http://desipro.de/ddwrt/r18050/usb-ftp-samba3-vpn-nv60k-broadcom.bin or maybe some older Kong build.

If the recovery does not work as expected, change the Ethernet cable (I did once have a bad cable) and change the computer. I have a Pentium 3 laptop whose sole use is recovering my routers in case they get bricked.

As far as I remember, I did a 30/30/30 before TFTP-ing the firmware. It did not require a static IP (wonder of all wonders, the CFE offered a DHCP lease), but if it fails without it, set a static IP. I would advise to have only one cable attached to the router, WiFi does not matter since anyway it allows no WiFi connections (if it's bricked).

You have to wait till it gets to 100% (which should be pretty fast) and then wait till the router reboots by itself and starts using the new firmware (which usually takes 5 to 15 minutes).

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

lenjung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do have an older laptop that I was using that has XP on it.

I was just going to give up but now I think I'll try one of the other builds and give it another go. I'll post again later, successful or not. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the additional info.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately, that's a no go. Tried different firmwares, different cables, same thing always happens.

About 60% of the firmware gets uploaded (the progress bar climbs, hit's 60%, stops then times out(I get a message "Unable to get responses from the server")).

Weird thing is I run a continuous ping and even when TFTP "times out" the pings still keep rolling (TTL=100)

Thinking the thing is completely screwed. Short of getting a serial/JTAG... just better off if I buy another one me thinks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi lenjung, I had the same problem with a bricked Linksys WRT150nV1.1 I found a firmware with less than 4 mb and flashed it to reach 100% first with a successful flash. Then I flashed the regular firmware with no problem. Try and find the correct E3000 firmware under 4 MB and flash with it first. Hope this helps.
Jethroww

Linksys WRT300NV1.1
Linksys WRT54GV3
Motorola WR850GV3
Netgear WGR614v6
lenjung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Came to that same conclusion.

Been looking, unless I'm looking in the wrong place I don't think there is a E3000/E3k firmware under 4MB.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/03-25-2013-r21061/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3000.bin
lenjung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
skuykend wrote:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/03-25-2013-r21061/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3000.bin

Thanks for pointing me to this. Didn't even think to look at newer builds.

Unfortunately I don't think it's taking. When I TFTP my program it shows 100% uploaded and gives me a success message. After waiting and doing a 30/30/30 my router is still showing the same symptoms. (Flashing power light, constant 100ms ping)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 18:21    Post subject: E3000 Reply with quote
I'm having pretty much the exact same problem that lenjung is/was having.

I have an E3000 (v.1) that was running dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3000 for almost a year with minimal problems. But the scheduled reboot doesn't work so I thought I'd try a newer build. I thought, what the heck and went with dd-wrt.v24-23320_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3000. Before and after the flash I did all the proper steps (as I've done many times before), and everything seemed to worked awesomely, except the WiFi. So I just thought maybe it was broken in this build and decided to flash the next build down, dd-wrt.v24-23204_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3000. Without any errors or suspicions it finished, but now I have a blinking power light. I'm puzzled as to what actually went wrong hear, but I guess it's water under the bridge...

Ok, so I can ping it with a TTL=100 response no problem, so I know there's some hope. TFTPing it (with several different programs, OSes, Ethernet cables, and PCs) gives me the same result every time: a 100% success message, but with no change in the router's condition.

I've ordered a serial cable today from ebay and plan on following the steps outlined in THIS GUIDE. But in the mean time, does anyone have any other suggestions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: