Flashing DD-WRT onto Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
geokilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
geokilla wrote:
I have a stock RT-N66U here and I'd like to upgrade to the latest DD-WRT. Following the steps here, it says I should download Merlin and upgrade to CFE v.1.0.1.3. It is at that step I am lost as it redirects you to smallnetbuilder, and it involves doing some telnet/SSH. I've only down telnet once thanks to Fractal, and I have no clue where to do it or how to do it again..

Right now, I have both the latest stock firmware, Merlin firmware, and DD-WRT firmware downloaded. Am I reading it right that I don't need to follow charleswilkinson, and I can just upgrade to latest stock ASUS firmware, then latest DD-WRT with 64k CFE from here?

That's wrong. If you don't do the cfe conversion and you flash a dd-wrt 64k build you will brick the router.

How do I do CFE conversion then? Only possible through telnet/SSH?

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Build BS18740 standard generic
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
geokilla, it's all in here.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8259&highlight=update+rt-n66u

Last edited by Malachi on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:29; edited 1 time in total
abharkl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just purchased this router. Liked the stats it had and performance reviews. I have had DDWRT on all my previous routers for the last 7 years. Before I flash this thing I wanted to get a overall opinion if it was worth it. I really like the DDWRT interface over the Asus one. But I really dont want to brick this thing and it seems like it causes problems for people.

Can I get a step by step install guide, just want to be cautious. Thank you for the assistance.
geokilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
geokilla, it's all in here.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8259&highlight=update+rt-n66u

Ya and I'm confused at the CFE step.. I looked through this thread and there's another way to flash it or something?

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
damchini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trying to telnet/SSH to 192.168.1.1, can't get in. Is there a specific port?

Edit: nvm, had to enable telnet on Router.
lillypad_33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed the instructions here:

http://charleswilkinson.co.uk/2012/12/22/dd-wrt-on-the-asus-rt-n66u-with-64k-cfe/

Here are a couple of notes...

I installed the Merlin version that can be found here:
http://www.mediafire.com/asuswrt-merlin/#a5gwz5qgq0d3q

I installed putty and made sure that telnet was enabled from within the router...

the first command that I believe you should type in once connected is this: ( the number sign just indicates the prompt...don't type this! )

# strings /dev/mtd0ro | grep bl_version

I got version 1.0.1.2 at the beginning, so I knew that I had to do the update script....

Once I had finished running the script, I ran the above command and verified that I had version 1.0.1.3

I chose the mega build from here:
ftp://ftp.barryware.net/Fractal%20Builds/RT-N66U%20With%20Cfe%20Upgrade%20ONLY/

Everything is good to go, and this router kicks a little bit of but! We have a 3 story house, and the router is mounted in the basement inside the electrical panel. It's probally the worst possible spot in the entire house to mount it, yet we have great wifi in the 3rd floor at the exact opposite corner.
geokilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+%28VER.B1%29&p=11&s=2

Wait... I just realized. The newer ASUS firmwares (3.0.0.4.XXX) have the following clause:

Quote:
IMPORTANT, DUE TO THE NVRAM SIZE UPGRADE, CHANGE TO THIS VERSION FIRMWARE (FROM 3.0.0.3.X UPGRADE TO 3.0.0.4.X) WILL WIPE ALL YOUR SETTING!
AFTER UPGRADED FIRMWARE, PLEASE PRESS THE RESET BUTTON AND HOLD OVER 5 SECONDS TO RESET THE ROUTER TO DEFAULT.

Quote:
Modify
1. Upgrade NVRAM size from 32KB to 64KB
2. Allow user add/delete/rename folder in Media server folder selector.
3. Show more information in Network map
4. QoS user interface, shows applied rule in first page.

Doesn't this mean that I already have 64KB NVRAM, thanks to using the latest stock ASUS firmware, and that I don't need to do the CFE upgrade anymore? That means I, and others in the future don't have to take the Telnet risk as mentioned on the Charles Wilkinson site.

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
geokilla wrote:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+%28VER.B1%29&p=11&s=2

Wait... I just realized. The newer ASUS firmwares (3.0.0.4.XXX) have the following clause:

Quote:
IMPORTANT, DUE TO THE NVRAM SIZE UPGRADE, CHANGE TO THIS VERSION FIRMWARE (FROM 3.0.0.3.X UPGRADE TO 3.0.0.4.X) WILL WIPE ALL YOUR SETTING!
AFTER UPGRADED FIRMWARE, PLEASE PRESS THE RESET BUTTON AND HOLD OVER 5 SECONDS TO RESET THE ROUTER TO DEFAULT.

Quote:
Modify

Doesn't this mean that I already have 64KB NVRAM, thanks to using the latest stock ASUS firmware, and that I don't need to do the CFE upgrade anymore? That means I, and others in the future don't have to take the Telnet risk as mentioned on the Charles Wilkinson site.

Wrong. If you want to use the 64knvram builds on the rt-n66u, you will have to do what the rest of us have done. Convert your cfe.
Although it is your router feel free to do as you please, you seem to not believe previous statements.

Last edited by Malachi on Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:15; edited 1 time in total
geokilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
geokilla wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Modify

Wrong.

Sad

How do I get telnet access into the RT-N66U then? I have it enabled in both Windows and in the router. I tried using putty but couldn't get it to work.

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you never used telnet on your router? Are you saying you don't know how or it won't work?
geokilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Have you never used telnet on your router? Are you saying you don't know how or it won't work?

I only used it once, after following step by step instructions posted by fractal. So I pretty much don't know how to use it. I got an idea of how it works though. It pushes firmware and stuff to the router no?

That's why I've been "annoying" on this whole upgrading CFE issue... Because I'm noob even after reading everything Sad

Edit: Oh.. My friend came over to play Diablo. Didn't even know he knew how to use putty.. THANKS FRIEND! Time to install DD-WRT 64K

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
BLaZe_ru1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone give a link to the lates realease of ddwrt for 66U plz ...
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
BLaZe_ru1 wrote:
Can someone give a link to the lates realease of ddwrt for 66U plz ...

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U
krimson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 0:38    Post subject: I am dumb Reply with quote
So, I forgot to flash the NVRAM before trying to flash DDWRT through the webgui. It was stock firmware version.. I want to say 3.0.0.4.270... the latest non beta from ASUS.

The file i loaded into webgui is: dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U-INITIAL-FLASH.trx

The upload seemed to go, but when it turns on, it doesnt boot. I try to boot to the recovery webpage, and if I ping -t *ROUTER* to see when I get a response, I can hit enter on my browser, see the page, but I get literally 2 seconds to take any action before I lose connection again.

Sometimes when it boots, I get power LED and connection LED... Sometimes it boots with both Wifi LEDs on.

I have enough time to click the "Clear NVRAM" and it says it is successful.
I also have had time enough to do the nvram+commit web address, and that says successful.

I can't use the ASUS utility, because it can't get a connection to the router.

Is there some other recovery method that I can try?

At this point, I don't care if it is DDWRT, Tomato, Stock, or whatever...

Is there a way to get it to recover from USB or the SD Card slot?

I fear I have bricked it to the point of no return.

I could just have it go through RMA with ASUS, as it is less than 60 days old, but ASUS support is HORRIBLE and slow.. It took me 2 tries, and 2 months to get a motherboard repaired by them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
rshodge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 15:29    Post subject: ASUS RT-N66U - Recovery Mode - when all else fails Reply with quote
After trying to (so far) unsucessfully upgrade my RT-N66U router with the DD-WRT firmware, i thought that i had "bricked" my router.

I tried and tried to get the router into recovery mode by powering the router off, then power on + reset button and and all I got was either a power light with a LAN light on, and no recovery mode.

After trawling the net for quite a few hours, nothing I could find worked...then I came across this little gem!

This is how you put the ASUS RT-N66U into recovery mode when all else fails.

- Unplug the power of the router
- While plugging the power back in, hold the WPS Button (to clear the NVRAM)
- The power LED will flash quickly, and this will clear the NVRAM
- After releasing WPS button, all of the LEDs light up. This is when you push the Reset button.
- If you do this correctly, the Power LED will be flashing on and off, slowly.

This means you have accessed recovery mode.

I then reflashed the router with the Asus Firmware Restoration Utility using the merlin firmware version, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_372.30_2

The router is unbricked and up and running, waiting for me to reflash with DD-WRT

I hope this guide will help someone out in the future, similarly to how it helped me today, and save a lot of time and frustration!

Cheers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: