WZR-600DHP bricked :S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
dA_RoB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:08    Post subject: buddee Reply with quote
For the first tryouts i was using a wired router.
Yesterday i have borrowed a switch and had it in between the router and the pc.

i have done everything exactly as it is stated in the de-brick tutorial posted before.
off course out of interest i have tried to start the tftp method first and then plug in the router which was not so good since the tftp outputs an timeout error.

In my opinion I have two possibilities now:
1. try the whole procedure with another windows 7 pc. (unfortunately I'm not able to organize a XP pc).
2. try the whole procedure with linux.

i will try both methods tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.
Sponsor
nachorouter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I signed up just to post a reply to your issue here.

I have the same router, and bricked it almost immediately. If I can't break it, I don't want it.

I ended up soldering on pins for the serial connector and purchasing a USB TTL adapter. Worked great, and after I was able to see the boot process, I was able to understand when to send the TFTP command.

You need:
- A Windows XP machine (seriously, not an option, Windows 7 will not work)
- A 10/100 or gigabit switch (very important)
- The BUFFALO firmware!!!

The timing is at about 15 seconds, if I remember correctly. And it says you have a 4 second window, but it's more like 2. But if you set up the serial port, the timing is not an issue, you can see when it's asking for TFTP.

Good luck, and don't throw out your router!
dA_RoB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 19:32    Post subject: Finally Reply with quote
Hi guys,

Finaly i have made it and found a file which apparantly worked for my router.

I found it on buffalo.jp and it was for the WZR-HP-AG300H router. the one with -178 ending.
This was actually the last file i've downloaded thinking to myself, "f*** it, if this doesn't work, I'll go and buy a USB-TTL converter tomorrow - i have nothing to lose".

The only thing now is, officially i have a WZR-HP-AG300H router. And i don't know how to proceed.
The method statet here by "121z3" doesn't work anymore: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=715456 since the username "otdpopy" doesn't work.

What do I have to do in order to flash the dd-wrt version redhawk has posted without doing this: http://scarygliders.net/2010/02/23/hacking-around-the-japanese-buffalo-wzr-hp-g300n/

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it!

Kind regards,
RoB
dA_RoB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 19:15    Post subject: Success Reply with quote
Hi guys,

First of all - thank you all very very much for your help. Today i've succeded and now my router is running with the build posted by redhawk0 - thank you as well!

So, here's how i've done it:

After i have managed to "brick" my router because i have followed these instructions:

Quote:
Hello guys,

I have the model WZR-600DHP japanese version.
To sucessfuly upgrade the firmware to english version of custom DD-WRT buffalo, i followed this steps in openwrt site:

1 - there is a way to set u-boot variables without serial access. Japanesse and other languages OAM "user frendly" firmware have special hidden maintenance page, accessible at http://your.router.ip.address/cgi-bin/cgi?req=frm&frm=py-db/55debug.html, with special username (bufpy) and password (otdpopy+<root password if any>) log-in required. Make sure you don't have the usual root athenticated WEB session active (clear the browser cache), otherwise you would receive an empty page saying "—- UNDER CONSTRUCTION — ". Now, one can activate telnetd by clicking the link, and access the OAM OS by telnet. Once there, one can use a command "ubootenv" to set above mentioned variables without trouble (tested & confirmed OK on Japanese WZR-600DHP)
2 - telnet to router and type:
ubootenv set accept_open_rt_fmt 1
reboot
3 - now, login to NORMAL webpage of the router but, this time, in username type bufpy and in password type otdpopy+<root password if any>
4 - look in advanced config tab and you will see links used by development team of buffalo japan. There is a NEW update firmware link. Use it to flash firmwares other than japanese protected firmwares.

I tested here and no problems so far.
Japanese WZR-600DHP --> DD-WRT Buffalo WZR-600DHP Sorry about my english. Hope this help someone.
Chears

i needed to de-brick it!
This i have done according to instructions on this page: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-AG300H

Unfortunately, my router was bought in Japan and it was pure luck to find the correct file to for tftp-ing it to the router.
But, for all you with the same problem, i have found that the only file that worked was the one for the WZR-HP-AG300H downloaded from the japanese buffalo site. Don't bother downloading it for the WZR-600DHP - they won't work. The correct file version was 172 (wzrhpag300h-172).

According to the router control panel i no longer had a WZR-600DHP but the WZR-HP-AG300H router. Understandable, since i was using its firmware.

So, after finaly beeing able to start the router again and reaching the control panel, i used following:

NOTE: Network settings are the same as for the de-brick process

Quote:
1 - there is a way to set u-boot variables without serial access. Japanesse and other languages OAM "user frendly" firmware have special hidden maintenance page, accessible at http://your.router.ip.address/cgi-bin/cgi?req=frm&frm=py-db/55debug.html, with special username (bufpy) and password (otdpopy+<root password if any>) log-in required. Make sure you don't have the usual root athenticated WEB session active (clear the browser cache), otherwise you would receive an empty page saying "—- UNDER CONSTRUCTION — ". Now, one can activate telnetd by clicking the link, and access the OAM OS by telnet. Once there, one can use a command "ubootenv" to set above mentioned variables without trouble (tested & confirmed OK on Japanese WZR-600DHP)
2 - telnet to router and type:
ubootenv set accept_open_rt_fmt 1

So, you have to know one thing. You can either, as explained above use telnet for putting "accept_open_rt_fmt 1" or you can put it in the command line in the page you have activated the telnetd (ubootenv set accept_open_rt_fmt 1).

And now, one VERY IMPORTANT STEP before rebooting:
i have changed the region from JP to US!
do this via: "ubootenv set region US"
afterwards, put "reboot" in the command line and wait until the router has finished rebooting.

after rebooting I was able to change the firmware to the the US one, which i have downloaded together with the whole cd from the buffalo US page (WZRSERIES-103). The firmware I've used was for the WZR-600DHP and it was the professional one (Professional-v24sp2-19438.enc).

Wait until the process has finished.
Now you should be able to see the US dd-wrt buffalo control panel. If this is the case, you're half way through!

As final step i have followed this instruction starting with point 4 (with one difference...), since my network settings were the same from the beginning of the process:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-AG300H
The one difference here was the firmware used. Instead of using the one from BrainSlayer, i used the one posted here by redhawk0:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=168216

And that's all!

My dd-wrt is working and now, I'm going to set it up for my needs!

Cheers all!

Kind regards,
RoB
dA_RoB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 20:43    Post subject: Win7 Reply with quote
Oh yes, one more thing, now i can confirm that everything mentioned above (tftp and netsh (instead of arp for win xp)) worked on my win7 (64bit) pc and that the timing for the tftp stuff is really important.
Usually you would use 10 sec after pluging in the power cable, but you can also do it by looking at the rear of the router and waiting for all network green lights to go on at once (approx. 10-11 sec. after power plugin).

And, needless to say that you do need a switch in between your pc and the router. you can use a second router instead of the switch as well.

Kind regards,
RoB
davidhn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I have same model WZR-600DHP Japanese version. bricked now. I follow instructions in here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-AG300H
but always receive time out error. I use stop watch and tried with variant of 10s to 20s to push the FW without success.
I use WinXP and have a switch between. One strange thing is connection between switch/router is not light up all the time. I wonder if it is normal with bricked router or it is a hardware failure.
And could I apply same method as below for my router
http://g300nh.blogspot.com/2010/06/firmware-flash-and-brick-recovery.html

Many thanks for your time and help.

Kind regards
David

PS: I asked the seller to update to DD-WRT firmware before posting to us. But sadly it arrived in bricked and I would like to give it a try. I don't know yet which ver of FW in its now.
robin11th
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone help?

I'm trying to follow instructions here.

Unfortunately I only have access to an OSX laptop. No windows.

All TFTP commands timeout. tried multiple default Mac Address but no help.

I have the same router but not Japanese as this was ordered via Amazon US.

FYI: Im using a giga switch between the router. tried different timings but still no go. only the green power led stay lit after power on.

I'm losing hope already.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
robin11th wrote:
Can anyone help?

FYI: Im using a giga switch between the router. tried different timings but still no go. only the green power led stay lit after power on.

I'm losing hope already.

You'd need to find a TFTP client for OSX (i'm sure google will know) then use the file for the wzr-600dhp in the dd-wrt file server and use the recovery steps and should be fine then.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
robin11th
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
robin11th wrote:
Can anyone help?

I'm losing hope already.

You'd need to find a TFTP client for OSX (i'm sure google will know) then use the file for the wzr-600dhp in the dd-wrt file server and use the recovery steps and should be fine then.

I've tried terminal based TFTP and GUI based TFTP clients both cant seem to find the router either attached to the switch or direct on the ethernet port.

i'm trying to use the latest firmware that can be found on buffalo's website. the 1.91 version.
swaben
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can this technique work this a wireless router acting as the switch or do you need a standalone switch?
lllgurulll
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm at my wits end. I have tried everything in this thread and nothing is recovering my wzr600dhp router from its solid red light state. I'm not even seeing any form of handshake between my laptop the switch and the router before starting the update with tftp.

Please help me
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
lllgurulll wrote:
I'm at my wits end. I have tried everything in this thread and nothing is recovering my wzr600dhp router from its solid red light state. I'm not even seeing any form of handshake between my laptop the switch and the router before starting the update with tftp.

Please help me

Are you using a switch between the router and your laptop?
I used this guide to unbrickma few buffalo routers that woudnt accept tftp. http://scarygliders.net/2010/02/23/hacking-around-the-japanese-buffalo-wzr-hp-g300n/comment-page-1/?__

I used hyperterminal instead of putty. You need a serial connection and then use the loady command to transfer the fw to the router.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
lllgurulll wrote:

Please help me

Are you using a switch between the router and your laptop?
I used this guide to unbrickma few buffalo routers that woudnt accept tftp. http://scarygliders.net/2010/02/23/hacking-around-the-japanese-buffalo-wzr-hp-g300n/comment-page-1/?__

I used hyperterminal instead of putty. You need a serial connection and then use the loady command to transfer the fw to the router.
Mine is not japanese. I didn't see the point of starting a new thread because I have seen too many members around here gripe about new threads for topics that are already discussed.

will that still apply to me since it is not Japanese?

I'm not about to tear my router apart though. I'm not that hands on. I'll just send it in and hope Buffalo just out right replaces it. Was really hoping there was a way to get this going again without tearing it open.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. Mine wasn't Japanese. The same steps apply except for changing the region. I skipped that part.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 14:26    Post subject: buffalo 600dph bricked Reply with quote
Good day.

I have a new WZR-600DPH that would not manage port forwarding, DMZ, ssh, etc so I tried changing the firmware. That I manage to do, but while trying another version it got bricked.

I have tried following the unbrick instructions using a Win7 PC (is the only at hand), but I seem unable to communicate with the router after it powers up (using a switch in between, couting to 10).

I have two questions, first I have found two slightly similar details:

arp -s 192.168.11.1 02-AA-BB-CC-DD-1A

and

arp -s 192.168.11.1 02-AA-BB-CC-DD-20

Which one is correct?

And second question, could it be I can't talk to the router or ping it, because I was using a different LAN configuration instead of the standard 192.168.1.1 (192.168.11.1 in another howto?)

Thanks for any input
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: